“Hipster Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Opposite House

Save Saved
You added The Opposite House to your Saves list
The Opposite House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Building 1, No.11 Sanlitun Road, Beijing 100027, China (Beijing Workers' Sports Complex)   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 5,216 hotels in Beijing
Canberra, Australia
“Hipster Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

If you want something different from the boring chain hotels you'll love staying at the Opposite House.

The hotel has a minimal modernist feel and walking through the lobby and ground floor is akin to strolling the through an art gallery. The staff are friendly and helpful.

The hotel is within walking distance of the Sanlitun Village Shopping Mall.

If you choose the hotel car service you have a choice of a Maserati Quattroporte, Audi Q7, Mercedes Benz S350 or Audi A6L.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

448 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I forgot to write a brief contribution on this hotel where I stayed in with family during our China summer trip. A sister hotel of The Upper House in Hong Kong, the manager of which referred me to this hotel, telling me its nice but don’t compare it with ours! Indeed, a very modern, “minimalist” hotel but don’t get me wrong: it was a wonderful stay. The room we got was a really huge one long stretched with long colorless and very minimalistic interior, a rather “adventurous” shower, lot of windows. Honestly we had to get used to it due to the fact that the rooms –as are the other areas of the hotel –rather out of the ordinary. I guess this is the sort of hotel you either love or hate. Look at the various comments her on the hotel. We loved it, the sleep qualify was excellent, the spaciousness in a city like Beijing was extraordinary. My guess is that if you are for leisure –like we were, was with family with two daughters- you can certainly appreciate the hotel. If however you are for business I am not so sure this is a safe bet. Again for us: its quite an experience and certainly worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nyon, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Wonderful, easy, comfortable and little things that made it the perfect location for business in Beijing.

Simple and effective, no frills, just exactly what was needed.

Service of the staff is impeccable. Beyond call of duty. Nothing was too much trouble.

I overslept my 3.45am wake up call. The staff woke me up, helped me pack everything, had the bill ready to sign, and had my luggage in the airport car before I was even awake!

The management should be applauded, I will definitely be back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Absolutely perfect! Staff were attentive, friendly & polite, food in Sureno is amazingly good! I had to make myself wake up early cos I just couldn’t miss the delicious breakfast at the Cafe! The hotel itself is an attraction! It has very cool unique design, rooms are spacious, free wifi, snacks and drinks, I didn’t want to leave my room!

Taxi is always a challenge in BJ! Thanks for the manager – Frank he played a little magic so I could attend my dinner appointment on time!

Room Tip: try the studio 70 or above
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Beautiful and spacious rooms, unique and stunning design, nice location for relaxation or going out, good service (though not as ridiculously over the top as some other places, if that's what you're looking for).

Highly recommend staying here, especially over one of the larger chain hotels in Beijing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Stylish and comfortable. Service is friendly, restaurant Sureno is sure yes! Bar mesh is the place I always go with friends except every Thursday(famous gay night in Beijing). Room is nice, I specially like the bath tub which is made by wood. Always my first choice in Beijing.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel is absolutely divine. Situated in the diplomatic district, Chongyang it is part of the Sanlitun complex, a collection of retail, office, residential and entertainment housed in low rise buildings. The layout works beautifully. The design of the Opposite House is one of its main selling points. The lobby is an art gallery of grand proportions (the Chinese really know how to use space to powerful effect) which rotates exhibitions. The staff are delightful and can’t do too much to help. We had an early check out for a 7.45am flight to Xian and they organised and timed everything perfectly – wake up call, breakfast in the room, confirming the flight (questionable because of snow) and the car service. I had booked a Studio 45 and was offered an upgrade to a larger room with breakfast on check in. This was a good choice. The room was stylish and incredibly relaxing. One end of the room was a huge window looking out onto the street through trees – my partner perched on the couch there to do his reading and writing and loved it. Being a bath fanatic, I made use of the wooden tub scented with supplied bath salts and bubble bath from their in house toiletry range (Ba Ha Li). The bath is enormous – ideal for two. The minibar is free – a feature of the Swire Hotels (there is a sister hotel Upper House in Hong Kong)My only gripe about the room is open slats at the top of the toilet door which mean you can hear everything in the toilet from the room consequently I ended up using the lobby toilet at times. The hotel is not cheap but on a global scale it is excellent value, it probably cost around 60% of what you’d pay for the same thing in another major city.
My gripes - even though the room was booked in my name with my credit card and paid for with the same card, we were mysteriously registered under my (male) travel companions name. Annoying when trying to charge restaurant bill to my room to be told the name is wrong. I booked a rate through the hotel's website which included triple miles on my membership (Qantas). I did not receive these miles and when I queried the hotel they said it could not be done due to an IT issue??

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Opposite House? Share your experiences!