“Nice, modern hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Beijing Sun Palace

You added Crowne Plaza Beijing Sun Palace to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Beijing Sun Palace
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Yunnan Dasha, Northeast Corner of Taiyanggong Bridge, Xibahe, Northeast 3rd Ring Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100028, China (China International Exhibition Centre)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #60 of 5,462 Hotels in Beijing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC
“Nice, modern hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The Beijing Sun Palace is a nice, modern hotel on the northeast corner of the third ring road. It is not especially near anything, though was located near the work site we were visiting. The staff all spoke some English, and were very helpful. The buffet dinner was extensive, though perhaps a bit expensive and virtually indistinguishable from the buffet breakfast. Bar drinks are very expensive. Easy access to the airport too, as it is near the airport expressway. Comfortable bed, great bathrooms. Getting downtown, either by cab or subway, is a bit of a hassle. (And we always got caught in the horrendous Beijing traffic!)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
virginia_cui, Quality Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Sun Palace, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Sun Palace Beijing and for the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to us in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed in various places around China ... this was at the upper end of quality but at the top in terms of price per night.

Rooms are large and very comfortable: nice bed, good desk, great bathroom and shower. Best of all: free wireless. Staff are courteous and many speak some English, but since its a large hotel I still find it a bit impersonal. For this, I prefer some of the smaller Beijing courtyard hotels which I have also reviewed.

Location is a bit out of the way. Getting a taxi out of the hotel is fine. Getting one back can be difficult since many taxis either (a) don't like taking Westerners or (b) like to stay closer to the city centre. However there is a subway stop a 7-min walk away so that was usually my route back.

Breakfast: very nice selection, but again you will pay for it (I think it was 180 RMB = about 30 USD)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Sun Palace Beijing and for the time to share your experience. We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in Beijing in the not too distant future.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have stayed numerous times at this CP in Beijing and the reason that I stay here is due to the service of the staff. I stayed at this property two times during July for a total of eight nights.

Everything great that I have written before about this hotel is still great! Only since my last visit they have eliminated the charge for Internet - hooray!

The Red Orange restaurant for breakfast is incredible. There is something for everyone (except maybe oatmeal) and you can get a great start to your day right here. After the second morning of ordering breakfast, the cook knew what kind of omelet I was going to order. This was quite impressive.

The work-out facilities, hot tub, sauna, and pool area are large and great for relaxing at the end of a long day of traffic and pollution.

They have basically fixed their taxi issue... I never waited more than 2-3 minutes for a taxi. Although this property is not close to the FC, TS, or Wangfujing, the taxi ride is only 20-25 minutes so it is very doable.

I highly, highly recommend this property. You will enjoy and cannot possibly go wrong by staying here.

Room Tip: Be an IHG Gold or Platinum member
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past two years, and have found it to be an excellent hotel. It is conveniently close to the airport, but also close to a subway station which is just a few stops from downtown.

The staff are very friendly, helpful, well trained and numerous. There are a number of restaurants at the hotel, all of which are of a high quality. The lobby / reception area is very grand with plenty of seating areas and meeting places.

All of the rooms I have had when staying here have been very impressive, with a large bed and luxurious bathroom. This is always by preferred hotel when staying in Beijing, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a room on the club floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

One the most interiored hotel I have seen in China so far. The lobby has a vast space that can accommodate hotel guests and people attending the conferences in their halls. The lightings sooths the eye and added the classy effect of the interior of the hotel. The room is a mixed of modern and traditional Chinese decors. It is a queen size bed that is very comfortable. I do have my mini office desk that is complete with coach next to the window for a great city view. LCD tv, tea-coffee making facility, a mini bar. The bathroom is equipped with a huge tub and shower. What I like the most is the glass partition in between the room and the tub *wink*.

The hotel is equipped with a money exchange machine that accepts USD,Euros,GBP,JPY. The exchange is better than of the rate at the reception.

Hotel staff are very helpful especially the guys from the concierge. They will help you find your way to the city. They do speak English but try to speak slowly and in plain, simple English for you to communicate well.

They will guide you to the best shopping locations. Be it the cheap market or malls around the city, best restaurants and sight seeing places. With my experience, they even printed maps for my trip of the city and finding a good technician for my gel nails. Great!

Before you leave the hotel, do not forget to ask the concierge for the hotel’s card to be given to your cab driver (if you still wish to go back). Maybe some translations when it comes to food, drinks for the restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Quality Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Sun Palace, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Sun Palace Beijing and for the time to share your experience. We appreciate your positive comments and look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in Beijing in the not too distant future.
Kajang, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Spacious room, good facilities and if you're lazy, it has really good restaurant within the hotel. The breakfast comes with international spread. It comes with 6hrs free internet too, very important when you're down there for business.

Only downside was, it is fairly hard to convince any cab driver to go to the hotel because it's a one-way street which means they won't be able to pick-up passenger along the way.

No qualms, everything was done to perfection.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Crowne Plaza Beijing Sun Palace. We are glad you are happy with our free wireless Internet, and find our room and bed to be big and comfortable. We regret that we were unable to provide you with a non-smoking room due to full capacity. In regards to our staff’s insensitivity to Chinese people, although that is not our intent, I am very sorry that our action had inadvertently upset you. We will certainly endeavor to implement the appropriate training to address the matter. Please drop us a note if you visit Beijing again so we can the improvement with you.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I booked this hotel at the last minute because my flight to Beijing was delayed and I had to stay in Beijing for one night before my journey to another Chinese city.

Every hotel at Beijing airport and nearby was sold out. This one was closest one at 11 km from the airport. American Express, my business travel agency, assured me that I'd have a non-smoking room.

My colleague and I arrived late to hotel (around 20:30). At the check-in, we were told all non-smoking rooms were sold out. After we insisted to have non-smoking room, they agreed to upgrade us to a suite. But there was only one non-smoking room. I was the first to check-in, and my colleague started his check-in process 5 minutes later than me. Yet, he was given the non-smoking, and I was given a smoking room. The reason: he is white and I'm a Chinese. I despise Chinese treating Chinese with an inferiority. I was very very upset about it. The manager on duty proposed to walk me through the suite and told me that they already did a special treatment to remove the smell. I didn't have choice but take the room. It was ok at the beginning but during the night, the smell became strong and I had hard time to sleep.

The room was big, the bed was comfortable, and the wireless internet connection was free. This wasn't usual standard in Chinese. We went to the restaurant but it was at closing time so we didn't have lots of choices. We had YunNan noodle which was very good, but expensive.

From the map, the hotel is between two subways stations, but the hotel is far away from downtown.

I didn't see too much the hotel because we left early next morning.

I hope hotels in Chinese be more sensitive to non-smokers and staff treats Chinese with respect.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Beijing Sun Palace? Share your experiences!