“Still great but front desk staff in need of training” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Millennium Beijing

You added Grand Millennium Beijing to your Saves list
Grand Millennium Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fortune Plaza, No.7 Dongsanhuan Middle Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100020, China (Guomao)   |
Ranked #43 of 5,423 Hotels in Beijing
Singapore, Singapore
“Still great but front desk staff in need of training”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have stayed in Grand Millenium on all my business trips to Beijing. It's a fantastic hotel and a great location, I wrote this hotel a glowing review in Sept 2012. It was only on this recent trip that I realised that front desk staff are in need of hospitality training. They are not comfortable speaking in English, are not very friendly and don't look you in the eye. I requested for a non-smoking room and the hotel was out of rooms when I checked in at about midnight. The front desk staff who was checking me in told me only rooms on the smoking room floor were left, which I did not mind as I was so tired, but her tone of voice and lack of empathy was not very hospitable. She had a 'take it or leave it ' look on her face. When I checked out a few days later at 6 am, front desk staff again did not bother to ask if I needed a taxi to the airport and I was left to struggle my way out. That's my only grouse though, and I have to say that poor front desk service seems to be the norm in all hotels in China. Still, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GrdMillenniumBeijing, Public Relations Manager at Grand Millennium Beijing, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear SmurfetteSue,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at Grand Millennium Beijing. It would appear some service elements let us down and I understand how frustrating this would have been and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience. I can assure you we are addressing these issues and we will continue to strive to achieve high standards in all aspects of service delivery. I hope we have the opportunity one day to welcome you back to the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Date: 5th April 2013
We stayed at Grand Millennium from 31st March to 4th April 2013.

Room
The first room that was given to us smelt of remnant cigarette smoke left from the previous occupant. We asked for a change to a healthier smelling room. The accompanying bell-hope disappeared after making a call, and in less than 10 minutes to give us a pleasant room at the end of the corridor. It seemed that he had made a quick check of the room to ensure that it would not be polluted, scent-wise.

The room had a large double bed, one seat sofa and a four feet lounge sofa. Interesting is that it was thoughtful for the hotel to provide a five-foot long simulated leather-covered Office table.
How suitably convenient it was for a lap-top computer, with electrical points next to the table.

Behind the flat TV wall is the wash-room with long bath (next to the window), individual toilet and separate shower room with twin-headed showers as well as a separate shower head on another wall. This wash room area was about 50% of the bedroom. You don’t feel enclosed in a four-wall environment that many hotels’ wash-room provided. Here the design was part of the overall design for the room. Two sliding doors to the bedroom provide the roomy feeling.

The wardrobe cupboard can be opened by a two-piece folding-door, giving full view access of the contents that a sliding door does not provide. A good design thought.

Cleaning
After a day trip, it was pleasant to arrive back in the room to see clean sheets in the late afternoon. Later, in the evening we would have dinner outside and the room would be neatly arranged again when we were back after 9 pm.

Attendant
The ubiquitous lift lobby attendant was always courteous and polite. All of them gave a no-nonsense looking appearance with ear-pieces indicating to us that they are wired for security in this hotel. It certainly gave the guests like us from Singapore, peace of mind.

It would definitely our hotel for the next visit, as it is also conveniently located near the historical sights of Imperial China and only 5 minutes away from the Silk Market – where you need to chop the opening price quoted by the seller by 80% -- that was what we did and later bought. Or have in mind how much you thing it is worth and that should be your last price!!

Tseng Tan
5th April 2013

Room Tip: for a safe and restful environment, yet close to major locations.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TsengTan, We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay at Grand Millennium Beijing and extremely thankful for your positive review of the hotel. We will share your comments with our colleagues to maintain and even improve more their service standard.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed in this Hotel back in 2008 after it had just opened. Over the past four years its location in central Beijing has made it a very popular venue for visitors and locals alike. The rooms are all well appointed and the beds are fantastic (pillows exceptional). Even having to 'put up' with a twin bed room was no exception. Breakfast can be a crazy time. You need to lock in your table otherwise you will find someone else sitting where you planned to spread out eat and read the newspaper.
The spa is great with a great pool.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Neville C, Thank you for your positive review. We have already shared this with our restaurant colleagues and they will pay more attention on breakfast time. we look forward to your return.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Came here for a business trip and friend recommended this hotel. Book through an agent for 900rmb/night.

Firstly it took me 1/2 an hour to check in my room. There was only 1 person at the receptionist and the queue behind me was getting longer. For such a reputable hotel, you only have 1 receptionist managing check ins. That;s the first dissapointment.

Room was pretty neat and new, everything was comfortable except the pillow which is too low for my neck.

I drink a lot of water, so the first thing I do when I step into the room is to check how many bottles do I have. They had 4 330ml complimentary, which isnt enough since I'm having flu, cough and sore throat which requires me to drink more. I called house keeping for another 4 to be sent to my room. To my shocking respond, they say I'm only entitled to 4 complimentary water A DAY. Utter nonsense when you charge exorbitant amount for a room (walk in rate is 1500rmb/night) to limit your complimentary WATER. Each bottle was only 330ml, add up 4 of them is lesser than 1.5L.
To my disgust I raise my concern they only manage to gave me 2 more bottles.

I stayed here for 5 nights, and everyday I've to argue for water bottles which is pretty ridiculous.

Toilet bowl is stuck once a while.
Water heater isnt consistently hot, its either TOO HOT or cold.
Key card always faulty, I changed twice in 2 days at the receptionist. It is annoying when you have to walk all the way down to lobby jsut to change a key card.

I will not recommend my friends to such hotel nor will I come back.

Dear Marciano S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on tripadvisor regarding your stay with us. We apologise that our quality of service fell short of our normal standards and resulted a poor experience for yourselves. Please be assured that we are addressing these problems and hope that this is not something that occurs in the future.
Gan shomron
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Great rooms, clean and very well kept. Large bed and good facilities.
There is a wonderful GYM and a swimming pool.
The breakfast is good with nice variety. Nothing to complain about.
I highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Nir N,

Thank you for the positive comments and for your support of Grand Millennium Beijing.
We hope you trust us enough to return and hope to see you again soon.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Simplistic elegance as soon as you walk through the front door. Friendly staff - all spoke English. Rooms were modern, clean and spacious. Fantastic bathrooms with jet tub. Lots of lighting and extra comfy beds with plenty of pillows!!! Located in the business district which is central to most attractions and is a safe and bustling with business men and women. Hotel restaurant is nice and has an extensive menu, although we only ate their once on our way out of town! Great value - next time I'm in China, if ever, I will definitely book at the Grand Millennium!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Christie A , we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay at Grand Millennium Beijing. Thank you for your review and look forward to seeing you soon.
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Check out took ages...my colleague had to return to reception three times on check in as key card didn't work. Whilst I'd say the facilities are more than adequate for a business hotel there seems to be a problem with sound bleeding into the rooms. During my meeting I could hear incessant repeats of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik through the sound system in the background and whilst trying to sleep I could hear the comings and goings of people in the corridor, an electric bass line thumping all night, the noises on the street and my next door neighbours in their room. My room was 2402. This was my fourth stay and I don't recall similar experiences in the past so maybe I was unlucky this time. There does seem to be a soundproofing issue, however.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear MattB6, Thank you to share your comments of your stay at Grand Millennium Beijing. We appreciate and encourage all comments, as this helps us to improve our service standards. We will look into the issues you experienced to and hope to remedy for your next stay.

Been to Grand Millennium Beijing? Share your experiences!