“can't quite put a finger on it” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Millennium Beijing

Save Saved
You added Grand Millennium Beijing to your Saves list
Grand Millennium Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fortune Plaza, No.7 Dongsanhuan Middle Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100020, China (Guomao)   |
Ranked #62 of 5,111 hotels in Beijing
Hong Kong, China
“can't quite put a finger on it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I mainly stayed here for work so it's slightly different to when you pay yourself but i hope it is still objective.

The hotel is in a good location. Right across the road is our office. I have never been there long enough to check out any of the nearby shops but I do know that there a couple of excellent restaurants across the road; so for me, it was perfect. Chaoyang is one main business areas so it's defintely a good place to be for work. You aren't too far from the Forbidden City either and it has good access all round.

First impressions: the lobby is pretty and swanky but it's a little souless inside. It's nice to have marble, blonde wood etc but the generic nature of the decor makes this rather unspectactular. Also, there are no 'Chinese' touches such as serving you tea or giving you wet towel so it seems you can be anywhere.

The room: appears very nice as you walk in. It is spacious with a large king bed, a nice desk and both a full bath and full shower in case you couldn't make do with the one. View left a little to be desired but I guess that is Beijing for you. My main gripe is the bed and the temperature of the rooms. I was there during some rather cold spells so the heat was on full and took all the moisture out of the air. I turned it off completely and I was still hot so it made my stays particularly uncomfortable. Then there was the bed. If you are into super soft beds and pillows, this is for you. When I was there, with the heat and the softness of the bed/ pillows etc, i just couldn't sleep. This is obviously down to preference but it wasn't for me. I also didn't like the two door set-up for the bathroom. I am just one of those who likes cupboards closed and all doors closed when sleeping and maybe I just forgot to close a door which then added to my sleep misery.........

We also managed to visit the bar one evening and that was again a souless place. OK, it was a Wednesday but given the ultra high ceiling, the lack of soft lighting and all, this was more like an airport bar rather than something in a 5 star hotel.

Breakfast was OK; it was quite a varied assortment which would satisfy most people but I wouldn't say the quality was great. Also the room in which it is in is a little weird in that it is long and narrow so everyone walks past you. Coffee comes lukewarm too. My burger in-room was good though.

I have chosen not to stay again mainly as I sleep so badly there (I've stayed 3 or 4 times). I wouldn't say this is a great hotel and it was just unfortunate for me. Maybe some others will really like the location/ rooms.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
GrdMillenniumBeijing, Manager at Grand Millennium Beijing, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear HKFooey,

Thank you for taking the time to review Grand Millennium Beijing.

If you choose to return, we have a good range of pillows available, from soft to hard and feather to therapeudic.

Best regards,
Glen Cook

575 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Great location, great service, excellent room. Everything was working perfectly and hotel staff were very eager to serve. I definitely recommend this hotel for business travelers. The room was huge, very comfortable and well-lit!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

If as a business person you need to demonstrate a high standard of expectation then the Grande Millennium in Beijing will satisfy all your needs. The rooms serviced with a large four point bathroom are exceptional, The general decor while reflecting Chinese ethnicity are so well appointed as an experienced traveler I could find no fault. This is a world class hotel with service and attention to detail one would expect. Entertaining important guests within the hotel's private restaurant was a great success. If you are aiming to make an impression is important to your business strategy then this accommodation will not let you down.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Excellent rooms - my standard room had large bathroom, sitting area and - joy of joys - a full sized desk with free, fast access, internet. Service is good but its easy to forget that this is still China and English is not necessarily entirely understood. My request for a fruit plate ( on the menu ) at breakfast resulted in delivery of a plate but no fruit. The lounge in the lobby area produces a great cappuchino and is a good place to meet visitors. The guide provided by GrayLine via the concierge was weak and at RMB 600 for 4 hours was poor value and disappointing. The Havana bar has an outside terrace which is great for pre and post dinner drinks.

Room Tip: Be very clear at reception when you want a non smoking room. You may end up changing rooms other wis...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Central location in the CBD area where the hotel is within easy walking distance of the Kerry Cntre complex, this is a very nice hotel. Only a couple of years old, it's in too condition, the rooms are of a large size with nice amenities and fast free in room internet. The gym and pool facilities are superb and one of the best that I have come across, though it's shared with the same manged residences it doesn't get over packed.

Will definitely stay again.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I came to Beijing for a conference and this hotel shows me the homey comforts business travelers can have! I arrived very early in the morning (at 5:30 am), because my flight from Hong Kong was delayed for 11 hours due to the impact of a severe typhoon one day ago. The staff at the front desk was polite assisting my check in. The room was quite spacious and cozy. I like its bathroom where there are both shower area and a huge bath tub. I was on the 21st floor and it was very quiet. The room service was efficient. I ordered warm milk twice and I only had to wait 5 minutes. The concierge desk was helpful in arranging my activities. On the last day of my stay in this hotel, I decided to go to the Spa by MTM, located on the second floor of the hotel, to relax a bit. The quality of the treatments was awesome and the staff was professional and providing suggestions to the treatments I needed. However, though the therapist already knew I came to Beijing for business and I do not come to Beijing often, she still tried to sell a package to me. Jesus! How would I enjoy the package under the condition that I do not live in Beijing and I do not visit often?? This is the drawback of the stay at this hotel. The staff at the spa should understand the guests' situation and should not be so pushing in asking guests to purchase products or packages!!
Overall, I enjoyed staying at this hotel and I will consider staying here again next time I come to visit.
My room does not include breakfast. But it was ok because I usually had to run for attending the conference in the morning and really had no time for breakfast. However, there is a Starbucks in the shopping mall next door. So, grabbing a cup of coffee on the way to the conference was not a problem!

Room Tip: Higher floor is a great option!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

I am very happy with this hotel and would stay here the next time I am in Beijing.
Location is great and convenient for business travelers.
For those hosting seminars or meetings, Conference/ballroom facilities are very nice. Food and beverage and event staff are very capable. Food is very good for buffet options. Technical assistance is great.
Wifi in room and throughout hotel is always working.
Breakfast has just enough variety and waitstaff are prompt and friendly.
Rooms are very well equipped and stylishly designed.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Grand Millennium Beijing? Share your experiences!