“Great service and room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Beijing Chaoyang

Save Saved
You added The Westin Beijing Chaoyang to your Saves list
The Westin Beijing Chaoyang
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.7 East Third Ring North Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100027, China (Beijing Workers' Sports Complex)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
SAVE UP TO 20% OFF!
Ranked #45 of 5,111 hotels in Beijing
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great service and room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I was only here for one night on an extremely cold and murky night in January but had a lovely room that I was really unable tyo make the most of due to my hort stay! The service was absolutely excellent as I recall my last stay here some years ago.

Staff were friendly and helpful and the room was very tasteful and had a big LCD screen that popped out of a cabinet in front of the bed!

The bathroom was enormous and very modern with many amenities! Looking forward to returnign here on my next visit up to Beijing but hope the weather is more salubrious then!

Because it was so cold out and I'd just come up form Indonesia with no warm clothing, I dined in at the Chinese restaurant and the ambiance and food was excellent.

Unfortunately, I had to leave at 6am for my flight to Shanghai so was unable to have breakfast before heading back out into the cold again!

If you're going to Beijing for a holiday, I'd recommend that unless you can stand the cold of winter, the blistering heat of summer and the sand storms in the spring, go in autumn when hte weather is perfect!

Room Tip: I've forgotten what room I was in byt have attached photos of teh view form my room asnd my room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Westin_Chaoyang, Manager at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for providing your feedback, we're truely humble to have been rewarded with a full score. Your comments are really inspiring and motivating for us, and we will work even harder to elevate our service to a even higher level.

We look forward to welcoming you again when you're back in Beijing.

Wish you and your family a great Chinese New Year!

Kind regards,

773 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Korean first
Malabo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I´ve been staying at the Westin Chaoyang since its opening in 2008 till this date; i´ve been in all different rooms, from the standard to the executive and diplomatic suite (one of the best rooms i´ve been and seen in Beijing) .. the rooms are just.. unique and excellent. The hotel is well located, close to Sanlitun bar street and all the diplomatic area. The night club-bar in the hotel is good and always full of kitties. The buffet restaurant at the second floor is also good and inexpensive. The hotel service is good and most of them speak english. Security is good, no prostitutes calling to your room like in many hotels in Beijing. And of course, the heavenlybed is just.. amazing. BEst of BJ

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Westin_Chaoyang, Manager at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your great comment, we're truely humbled to be awarded with a full score. We’re inspired and motivated by your feedback and will work even harder to make sure your next stay will be even more renewing.

We hope to see you again in the near future, and wish you all the best on your journey.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

On a short business stayover, I enjoyed exceptionally frindly service throughout the hotel from arrival to departure. My room was average size, well laid our, functional and clean.
It maybe my very personal preference, but I do "hate" beds with thick heavy bedding tucked under the mattrass so tightly that it takes a major effort to undo it enough enjoy "free movement" under the covers, and get some air only to have the various layers all messed up.
Added to that is a very high heat setting, (apprently very common in chinese winter) which takes very long to adjust. Therefore, the sleep quality was quite poor. Being a light sleeper, I also found the sound insulation relatively poor. Both, slamming doors of neighbouring rooms and traffic noise are audible throughout the night.
As the hotel is in a perfect location if you are busy in the Chaoyang district, by requesting a quiet room and lighter bedding, these issues may easily be resolved.
Another minor point is the fact that, hotel services are only displayed on te TV, no printed directory was available. Bascally that's ok, a number of services however, such as in-room movies were "under maintenance" and contacting the relevant service departments on the high tech, touch screen telphone system is not an easy task. Finally on the drawbacks, the hours of the wonderful spa for in-room and at the spa services are, in my view, too short for busy travellers to enjoy.
On the up - side, being unable to watch a movie, unable to enjoy a spa treatment, I ventured to the bar. Great service, wonderful staff, excellent choice of drinks and very good live music made the evening very enjoyable after all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Westin_Chaoyang, Manager at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review of your recent stay. Your comments have been forwarded to the related department, and the team will take actions to improve our service level.

We hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and make sure you have a wonderful experience in real Westin style.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Had a really bad experience with this hotel when I stayed there this week. The hotel staff seem to be trained to treat the "foreign" guest with high priority and respect but to the "local" Chinese clients with ignorance, disrespect and arrogance.

When I arrived at the hotel's reception desk and wanted to check out, only two desks were open with couple of foreigners waiting in two lines. So naturally I went to the shorter line which was also the desk for the SPG. When it was finally my turn, a hotel staff came to me and asked me to continuing waiting in the line so that another guest from the other line can check in first because he was there earlier than I was. Well, he was indeed there earlier than me so I didn't argue why the staff did not make it clear that there should be one line instead of two lines and I went back to my line and continued waiting.

But more than 10 mins later, while the guest ahead of me was still figuring out with the receptionist on his check-in papers and asking the staff to help on getting a spg membership, another reception desk opened. As the next one in the line, I thought it would finally be my turn. But guess what, another hotel staff showed up and asked another guest from the other line to come up to the new desk. I wouldn't mind if everyone follows the same rule of first come first serve, but clearly the other guest arrived later than me so I complained to the hotel staff immediately. To my surprise, my complain was immediately ignored as the staff behind the newly opened desk  looked at me first when I talked to her and then looked down to her screen pretending she didn't hear me at all.

By this moment, I couldn't help notice that among the couple of guests waiting there, I'm the only Chinese. And the two guests who got the hotel staff' help to cut in front of me are all Caucasians. The hotel staff seem to have a different treatment to their "foreign guests" than "local guests", where the local guests are treated with lower priority and their complains are not even being considered seriously by the staff.

After being kept in the line waiting for almost 20 mins, I finally got my check out done. But when complained about why they allow non-SPG guest to use the SPG desk to check in, the male staff from the hotel simply told me that that's not true and the first guest cut into my line is a SPG member. Hang on a sec, if he is SPG member already, why did the staff need to ask him to leave his business card so they can help set up a SPG account? Unfortunately my English and hearing are both good enough to hear the conversations around me to tell this is a stupid lie just to avoid making an apology.

As a frequent business traveler, I almost traveled to Beijing on a weekly basis and stayed SPG hotels for most of my trips there as I appreciate the service of the hotels and enjoy the benefits as a diamond SPG member. But I have been feeling for a long time that among the three hotels that I stayed there (St Regis, Westin Financial Street and Westin Chaoyang), Westin Chaoyang has the most unhelpful staff, as they will merely treat their guests by the book but nothing more. But after this experience, now I started to feel that maybe it's just because the hotel staff used to give all their friendly faces and warm smiles to the "foreign" guests even to the extent that they are willing to do what is beyond reasonableness and to bend rules. As a result, for a client to be considered "local" such as myself, no matter whether i'm a long time loyal customer or not, I feel like being treated as a second class citizen at this hotel.

Now i'm seriously considering if i should continue my loyalty to SPG because of this. But no matter what, I would avoid this hotel in future.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments, and we're truly embarrassed that we did not bring you a real Westin experience. The Front Office team is aware of your feedback and will take immediate actions and trainings to make sure such situation will not happen again, please accept our sincere apology.

We wish you all the best.

Kind regards,
Gröbenzell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Westin is a pretty new, modern and luxuirious hotel. The service crew does an excellent job and is alwasy willing to help the guest. The breakfast buffet ist serving all customer tastes. The Hotel Bar is very cosy and offers also at some time very good musical entertainment.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor so the street noise will not be disturbing.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Westin_Chaoyang, Manager at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comment, we're truely humbled to be rewarded with a full score.

Please rest assured that we will continue to elevate our services to ensure your future visits remain memorable.

Adelaide, South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed at the Westin Chaoyang twice around Christmas 2012 - lots of Christmas activities going on (stocking in the room; free cocktails for 'ladies'; mulled wine + nibbles in the foyer; choir). Room was very up-to-date and comfortable. Well maintained bathroom. One issue: no running water one night, but this was fixed fairly quickly (and we were kept up to date with the fixing). Staff pleasant and attentive. Room cleaning standard very high. Comfortable hotel - would definitely stay there again. Breakfast had almost anything one could wish for in a buffet. Foyer lounge service was very good too. Free wifi in public areas (not in rooms). Dined in the Cantonese restaurant one night - service good (although asking for anything on the wine list caused staff to state that they would have to go get it and it would take 15 minutes. A litle odd.). Food very good for hotel food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiece at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, and we're pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay.

Rest assured that we will continue to elevate our services to ensure your future visits remain memorable.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Westin again!

Chicago, Ilinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This property, which is located virtually next door to my company's Beijng office, offers the typical upscale Asian Westin experience. Even thought there was a foul up with my reservation, the front desk quicly rectified it and accommodated me right away in an upgraded room with a king bed on one of the exectuive floors. The housekeeping was spotless and the included buffet breakfast comprised a wide selection of fresh Asian and Western dishes. The exercise facilities are top notch.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Westin_Chaoyang, Manager at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we are truely humbled to know that you have enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and for sure will provide you the same uplifting experience.

Management team
The Westin Beijing Chaoyang

Been to The Westin Beijing Chaoyang? Share your experiences!