“Excellent rooms and service, albeit a little expensive” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Beijing Chaoyang

You added The Westin Beijing Chaoyang to your Saves list
The Westin Beijing Chaoyang
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.7 East Third Ring North Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100027, China (Beijing Workers' Sports Complex)   |
Ranked #59 of 5,462 Hotels in Beijing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent rooms and service, albeit a little expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

there is a true effort by staff to reach international standards. All staff are very good English speakers (as opposed to the rest of China). The rooms are spacious with nice views and the bed is great. TV choice is not bad (many English channels with Chinese subtitles). The swimming pool is large and really nice, with a city view. The gym is OK. A large variety of restaurants and food 24/7. Some restaurants such as the Grill are expensive (an average Australian steak with Salad, around 100 USD) but the large choice of menus is nice to have in Beijing. concierge was extremely efficient and helpful with all sorts of services (tourism advice, money exchange, taxi, airport pick-up, etc. etc.
Strikingly warm welcome at the reception and very quick check-in and check-out (faster than many other 5 star hotels).
Also, location not far from the airport road (25 to 30 minutes) and metro station is a 30 seconds walk. Amenities are generous and everything you need is there + separate shower and bathtub.
Definitely a place to recommend if you are willing to spend around 300 USD for a night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Westin_Chaoyang, Hotel Management at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your Westin Beijing Chaoyang experience with our friends at tripadvisor.com and thank you for such a positive review. We look forward in being of service in the future and promise you not to miss your requested breakfast beverages in the future.

Be Well!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

did not get a suite upgrade for SPG platinum at check-in, but they at least gave me executive club with free breakfast.

also, i was shocked at how isolated this location is. sure, theres a subway next door, but other than that, there really isn't much within walking distance.

the rooms are good (as are all westins in china). the service people were also very eager to please. i also enjoyed the executive club very much. it is very peaceful and well-stocked with drinks and small appetizers. gym, pool, and locker facilities are top notch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we are truly sorry about not upgrading your stay due to fully occupancy. We are very disappointed to learn your experience with us is not 100% uplifting. Wewill be sharing your comments with the team for improvement. We do hope to be of service in the future and in welcoming you back to the Westin.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel because it's 5mins walk to my office, but the area is not really happening, not much around, very local and few decent restaurants.
Hotel itself: well I like the look and feel, although the black lobby (black flooring) at night is a bit deconcerting. Overall very contemporary Asian and tastefully decorated but quite cold, in particular not a single sofa, nowhere to seat in the lobby (I guess the reason is to avoid people who have no business staying there loitering in the hotel... but still I find it annoying). Corridoes and rooms have dark-wood panels, some paintings.
Check-in was quick as I arrived at night, there are few checkin/out counters for a hotel this size (4 if I'm correct including the SPG Gold/Plat).
Am SPG Platinum, so was upgraded to Studio Suite, which is the corner rooms on all floor, very bright, 60sqm, nice !
Room and bathroom are big, both rain-shower and bathtub (with a small dedicated flat screen), 2 sinks and mirrors. Day and night curtains all electrically-controlled.
Cannot comment on the restaurants but I did not eat there because too pricy (but from the outside looks very stylish).
Gym is simply awesome, it's actually open to outside memberships.
All top-notch Technogym equipments, 8-9 treadmills with TV, ... all the cardio and weights stuff one can dream off. Just perfect.
Last point, being on the East side of BJ and between ring road 3 and 4, it is very close to the airport, less than 30mins by taxi and close (but not walking distance I think) to airport express.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your Westin experience on your recent stay with our friends at tripadvisor.com. We are very disappointed to learn your experience with us is not 100% uplifting. Please rest assured your comments have been shared with the team for improvement.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed at Westin Chaoyang for a weekend. It is a good hotel if you expect average service, but it certainly needs a lot of improvement.
I arrived after midnight and was very tired and exhausted. The front desk staff was nice and friendly, but it took them a long time to find me a room, which I didn't quite understand. It should be very simple to see which room is available. I could see their computer screen and I saw many rooms labelled "check-out" and "clean", but it still took them more than 7 minutes to get me the room. I was put into a bigger room, but the whole waiting experience, especially at 1AM was not very pleasant.
The next morning at 9:30 AM, I received a little note at the door saying "we didn't have a chance to clean your room because your 'do not disturb' light was on, please contact service express if you need our service." I never received such a note in the past 30 years, especially in a 5-star hotel. Why did I turn on the "do not disturb" light? Because I didn't want the housekeeping staff to clean my room early in the morning. In great hotels, a very important rule for the housekeeping staff is to become invisible. We don't see them but enjoy their service. Not the case at this Westin. In the same afternoon, a housekeeper knocked at my door and asked if I have laundry. I found it a bit disturbing.
The bathroom floor was not very clean. It had a lot of long hair (I have short hair) on the floor when I first got in. It was still very dirty after they cleaned it the next day.
Their buffet breakfast was very good with many varieties. When I left the restaurant, I saw a staff clean the floor beside the food stations and guest tables. I would of thrown up if I was eating and saw all the dirt she cleaned out. Breakfast finishes at 10:30 and lunch normally won't start until 11:30. They don't have to clean the floor while people are still eating.
I tried the spa in the afternoon. To be honest, the facial and massage were okay. The only thing I didn't like was that the therapist turned the light very bright for my facial service because she said otherwise she cannot see and do the facial properly. Fine...
The disaster began when I had my manicure and pedicure. The therapist had no idea how to do it. This is the worst mani/pedi experience I've ever had all over the world. The therapist didn't know how to clean my cuticles, how to scrub my feet. She didn't even know how to put on the nail polish. She started with a base coat, then as soon as she found out that she couldn't put on the polish properly, she removed the base coat and blamed that the base coat made the colour uneven. She didn't know that she needs to put on the top coat. She offered to polish my finger nails because I didn't want colour, but after the polish, there were a lot of scratches on all my nails and my cuticles hurt so badly. It certainly not worth the money I paid. I can easily find a small nail store on the street and pay 1/3 price for a 3x better service.
I think it is unfair to ask the same therapist to do all body, facial and mani/pedi and be professional in all three areas. The hotel should remove mani/pedi service from their menu, or at least have a professional therapist just for mani/pedi.
Overall, the hotel was okay, but still need big improvement.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer, thank you for reaching out and sharing your Westin review with our friends at Tripadvisor.com and we sincerely apologize for not having lived up to your expectations during your visit.

We would truly value your feedback related to your disappointing stay. Your comments have been shared with the Westin team and we have addressed these issues with our related team. We guarantee it is not a norm for a Westin hotel.

Sincerely welcome back in the short future, to rediscover your experience of renewal.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I want to write a review about the sunday brunch at the Westin because it is simply fantastic. A family friend took me and I was treated to the nicest meal I've had in Beijing. The food is comparable to a mother's day/Easter brunch back in the states. The buffet includes (but is not limited to) sushi/sashimi, a roast beef station, Peking duck, kid's station, seafood (lobster, oysters, clams, crab, etc.), grill, a mix of Western and Asian hot dishes, an entire room full of desserts, and an open bar/Champagne (endless Moët). It was like finding a little part of America in Beijing. We ate and ate until we couldn't anymore. There was live music and impeccable service to accompany the fine dining as well. The entire restaurant was booked - you must make reservations 2-3 days in advance - and this brunch only takes place on Sundays. Although it is very pricey (around $95 per person), I think it was well worth the money. So if you are craving a fine American brunch, this is your place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

We are delighted to read your recent review of our Bubbalicious Brunch and thank you for sharing with our friends at Tripadvisor.com. We look forward to your next visit and look forward in providing future renewing service for you.

Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

It was a wonderful stay in the westin hotel. It has a theme based rooms and everything in the room is more than what is expected off,fantastic continental breakfast ,swimming pool is indoor and very clean .loved to stay here and will always cherish my days spend here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for letting us know how we did during your stay in our hotel and we are glad that you rated us so highly. We look forward to your next visit and look forward in providing future renewing stays for you.

Be Well and Be Westin!
genève
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Location: 20 minutes away from airport (80 - 100 yuan) right next to liangmaqiao subway station, very convenient.
Hotel in general: very nice lobby with free wifi (only in the lobby)
Rooms: well equipped, modern, complimentary tea/coffee, really nice bathroom. The heavenly bed is truly heaven.
Breakfast: very diverse, from chinese food to fresh bread, fruit, yogurt, etc wide choice!
Pastries are very good (but the pastry shop is closed on saturday and sunday because of the brunch)

VERY low level (even none...) of English among staff, often difficult to be understood, although they try very hard...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your staying experience with our friends at tripadvisor.com. We sincerely apologize for not having lived up to your expectations during your recent visit.

We truly value your feedback and appropriate English trainings have also being arranged for our local associates in our teams, as a part of our continuous efforts to meet our guests’ expectations.

Be Westin!

Been to The Westin Beijing Chaoyang? Share your experiences!