“If you are looking for an experience like no other.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pure Lotus

Pure Lotus
10 Nongzhanguan Nanlu, Chaoyang District., Beijing, China (Yansha)
010-65923627
Improve this listing
Ranked #81 of 9,429 restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Vegan
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Yansha
Atlanta, Georgia
“If you are looking for an experience like no other.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Atmosphere is the strong point. All the food is vegetarian but it will fool you. They do not serve alcohol but there is so much going on you want to be alert.

82% Recommend
Global
“A unique and special experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I visited Pure Lotus twice while in Beijing on business.

As other reviews have described, the environment is quite beautiful and a complete oasis in the city.
The service is outstanding.

The food is wonderful.
My second visit was even better than the first, due to a waiter named C.J. The enormous menu can be daunting and he was patient and very helpful.
The presentation of the food is some of the most dramatic and outstanding I have experienced. I tried to take photos -- but they do not show the true creativity of the experience.
It is a dining experience where you are not rushed, and where the staff are around to help you. At one point they came to my table to show me how I could combine some of the items. They literally put on gloves and came to the table to demonstrate.

I found myself wanting to stay and just look around and take in the chandeliers, the candles, and the eclectic mix of furniture.

• Visited October 2012
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Expensive but exquisite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We took a taxi to the street of the restaurant and the driver told us to walk into some alley which looked like a private parking lot. But as soon as we walked past the gate there were women and men dressed in beautiful robes who guided us through the maze of alleys to the doors of the restaurant. When we entered the restaurant a woman poured rose water over our hands and after that a gigantic door was opened which gave entry to the restaurant. On our way back we found out that there was a subway station called 'Hujialou' with an exit around the corner of the restaurant.

Not recommended for students (like me) because it is quite an expensive restaurant. The food is amazing though, we ordered the pumpkin-eggplant stu, a mock-fish dish, and the tomato and shiitake dumplings. Everything was delicious but we paid 350y for the two of us. We read the reviews beforehand so we were aware of the tea-scam but they didn't try this one on us. In fact, the cheapest drink is a GLASS of water for 50y. So we didn't drink anything there. We got a complimentary dish of melon on dry ice after we paid. The staff speaks English.

Considering it was evening when we left and there was no sunlight anymore, we were guided by the same staff back to the exit of the car park with lanterns. Pictures included

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bangkok, Thailand
“Unique Dining Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

From the sequined robes of the wait staff to the real candle chandeliers, this is an experience you should try at least once. Opened by a monk, the fare is vegetarian and presented in serving dishes that can only be described as exotic. Although very pricey (there was a 1950's vintage tea for around $500 a pot), I would still recommend.

• Visited September 2012
SoCal
“Big Price Tag for Meh Food w/Fantastic Setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Pure Lotus tries too hard. The restaurant is beautifully decorated, the serving platters are extravagant, the menu is like a coffee table photobook but then you get cheap chopsticks to eat with... The prices on the pots of tea made my jaw dropped. I don't care how elegant the restaurant is, a pot of tea should not cost $100. Yes, I said dollars. The waiter recommended a number of dishes which helped a lot seeing that the menu is close to 40 pages long. When our first dish came post appetizer, I was totally grossed out. It looked like someone had taken cat food and served it on a nice plate. It was the chilli dofu with a sauce not unlike the gravy in cat food. I kept and open mind though and tried it. I was still grossed out. Thankfully, the other dishes weren't too bad. The wait staff was very pleasant and helpful.
Overall, the food was okay, but the ambience and service were great.

• Visited September 2012