We stayed at the Voyager Beach Resort from 14th - 28th December, 2010 in a deluxe seaview room & thoroughly enjoyed the hotel.
We booked through Hayes & Jarvis who offered scheduled flights with Kenya Airways to Mombasa with a short stopover in Nairobi - the flights suited the flexibility we needed for work commitments. Reviews of Kenya Airways on Skytrax had us worried before we left, but flights in both directions were comfortable & on-time, & we would have no hesitation using them again.
Arriving at the hotel at 10 am, we were pleased to find that our room was ready. Having viewed one of the standard garden wing rooms, we were glad that we had upgraded to a seaview room - we requested & were given the top (3rd) floor in our block, which meant that we were not disturbed by early morning checkouts for UK charter flights. We were told that the rooms have been refurbished within the last 3 years & they are of a reasonable size & quality
We had pre-booked a 3 day safari with the highly recommended JT Safaris (www.julius-safaris.com) & also booked a 10 dive pack with the in-house dive school Buccaneer Diving (www.buccaneerdiving.com) - see separate reviews for both.
What makes this hotel stand out, as has been mentioned in numerous other reviews, is the friendliness, helpfulness & cheery disposition of almost all the staff. Food is above average - especially Peter's delicious naan breads - the all-inclusive wines perfectly drinkable, & local spirits fine with mixers.
On 4 occasions, we dined in Minestrone (the Italian restaurant), which offers a la carte dining at no extra cost to all inclusive guests - even though the hotel was full, we had no difficulty booking & found the food to be very good. Many thanks to Joyce for looking after us so well. We also dined twice in the Smuggler's Cove a la carte restaurant which offers predominantly quality seafood such as lobster, oysters & mixed seafood, & with a 50% discount to all-inclusive guests, makes it a quality evening out for a sensible price. At neither resatuarant were we pressured into ordering non all-inclusive drinks, although at the Smugglers we opted for a tasty & sensibly priced South African Chenin Blanc. It was also good to see Livingston the Executive Chef mingle with diners at both Minestrone & Smugglers Cove, taking the time out to chat & enquire about whether we'd enjoyed the meal.
We had no difficulty finding sun beds close to the infinity (adult-only) pool, even when we returned from diving at lunchtime & on one occasion were treated to a couple of coconuts from the ever-friendly Wycliffe the gardener. Bar service around the pool was regular
The staff really pulled the stops out on Christmas Eve with a pre-dinner cocktail party, & gala dinner
Any moans? Well, just a little one.............the extra payment for the in-room safe is a bit of a money-spinner, but overall, a good quality hotel, sensibly priced, & with excellent staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Moored seven kilometres north of Mombasa city centre, Voyager Beach Resort's convenient 'berth' gives guests easy access to a huge variety of historical, sporting and cultural attractions. The vibrant themed resort is famous for hosting some of Africa's finest family entertainments and animation programs, including unique themed journeys across the seven seas, culinary extravaganzas, with very supervised kids' activities and days out with Africa's best-known and most experienced childrens' safari club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Expedia and Odigeo so you can book your Voyager Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Voyager Beach Hotel Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Kenya
- Voyager Beach Resort Mombasa
- Voyager Beach Resort Kenya
- Voyager Beach Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Mombasa