We visited the Voyager in January of this year with our 4 children aged between 5 and 14. I was concerned that there would be enough activities to appeal to all 4 children given the differences in their ages - no problems!! The Animation Team and those that ran the Adventurer's Club for kids were fantastic. They were always organising activities for the kids and were contantly on hand for my 14 year old when he wanted to challenge someone to a game of table tennis or pool. The swimming pools were brilliant, food plentiful (although a bit "samey" after two weeks and the staff were always friendly. Yes, the rooms were basic but were fine and clean and for my husband and children the fact that they could watch a few live premiership footie matches was a bonus! My husband and eldest went on a two day safari to Tsavo, booked through the lads on the beach at an excellent price and they visited all the same spots and stayed at the same places that the "tour companies" did. The vendors on the beach can be a bit daunting but by the end of the first week we knew them all really well and they did actually leave us alone. The beach is miles long and beautiful, literally a postcard scene.
My only realy concern was the hotel doctor. Unfortunately my youngest became quite ill towards the end of our first week. High temperatures, wanting to sleep constantly, headaches and no appetite or energy. A very costly visit to the doctor and we were told he had a bacterial infection from the pool and prescribed antibiotics. No, he did not have any pool infection - he had a severe (and rare) reaction to his yellow fever vaccination. As the local doctor he should have been aware of the fact that a large percentage of the guests at the hotel would have had to be vaccinated against yellow fever and therefore the possible side effects and treatment. At one stage my son was delerious and lost all movement in the right hand side of his body. Fortunately I had pain and fever relief tablets with me and with two days left of our holiday the littlun finally recovered and on our last day was back to his usual self. I feel, however, that the doctor just wanted to gain 5,000 shillings for a basic and incorrect diagnosis. Not good.
Other than that, a visit into Mombasa to a shoe shop was excellent, sandals hand made for a third of the price of the ones in the hotel shop, the Nakumatt supermarket a 20 minute walk away is amazing and incredibly well stocked with anything and everything you can think of, including getting your photos developed at fraction of the price back in Europe.
We would all return to the Voyager at the drop of a hat, it was a wonderful way to spend two weeks. I would highly recommend it, particularly if you have children as the staff really are excellent.
Word of warning, on departure from Mombasa airport the luggage allowances are STRICTLY adhered to and any extra kilos are charged at astronomical rates. There are also a lot of security checks and queues but once through into departures there are some very good shops selling ornaments, carvings etc which you could buy there and carry on board rather than buy at your hotel, put in your case and have to fork out a fortune!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Moored seven kilometres north of Mombasa city centre, Voyager Beach Resort's convenient 'berth' gives guests easy access to a huge variety of historical, sporting and cultural attractions. The vibrant themed resort is famous for hosting some of Africa's finest family entertainments and animation programs, including unique themed journeys across the seven seas, culinary extravaganzas, with very supervised kids' activities and days out with Africa's best-known and most experienced childrens' safari club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Jovago.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com and Tingo so you can book your Voyager Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Voyager Beach Hotel Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Kenya
- Voyager Beach Resort Mombasa
- Voyager Beach Resort Kenya
- Voyager Beach Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Mombasa