Arrived at Voyager 01/04/2013 for 14 nights. Stayed here last year in May and fell in love with the hotel and its staff. Its a beautiful hotel, with lovely gardens looked after by John, Katana and their colleagues, Katana will get you a fresh coconut if you ask him (boy its scary watching him climb those big palm trees with just a bit of rope round his ankles). There are a few ponds scattered around the hotel, the best to the right of reception, which is looked after by Paul who will explain how he has built it up over the last few years. We would sit watching the male Weaver birds build their nests and try to attract the females, and also Paul would give you bread to feed the fish. The main restaurant is good, you can sit outside or if you wish inside. The food is good plenty of variety to suit everyone at breakfast,lunch or dinner. There are 5 bars the main bar being Kaskzi, where you can have snacks in the afternoon. The staff at the bars are great, Edward always smiling and joking around, Peter Raymond, Stella, John, Tatu, James, Rodgers, margaret, johana, Nassim, Cecilia and many more. Captain Sylvestre and his fellow officers are always walking around, stopping to chat with the guests to make sure everyone is having a wonderful time. Margaret customer relations officer is always on hand to help and just listen to any suggestions.
The rooms are cleaned every day, we had a sea view room looked after by Jackson, top man. One day the staff came looking for us because we had left the room safe open, nothing was missing. In previous reviews people have complained about thefts from their rooms, i don't dispute this (theres bad uns all over the world) but would be surprised if a member of staff would put his job on the line for a few bob. The rooms are not 5* but adequate, but hey they are only to shower and sleep in, and don't forget this is Africa not London.
The afternoon and evening entertainment brilliant. The Animation Team who put on various afternoon games and shows in the evening, do a fantastic job of keeping the guests, young and old entertained. Anderson, Nelson, Kelvin, Suzanne, Sharon, Bryan, Maureen and all the other A Team members (sorry can't remember all their names) will take time to chat and get to know you.
We did a one night safari to Shimba Hills which i will review separately. Our main reason to visit again apart from the hotel was to visit Mikoroshoni Primary school, the school is run by 3 british couples. The school is in Shanzu village, Bamburi, a very poor village, but the children love to go to school and learn. Further information can be found at www.mikoroshoniprimaryschool.org.uk. There are many schools in the area and are well worth a visit. They need all kinds of stationary, clothing, toothbrushes and paste, anything really.
I will stop rambling on, times are hard for everyone and a holiday to Kenya is not cheap, but if you can afford to go then there is no place on earth like it. The People are so genuine, friendly just great.
To Voyager and its staff I salute you and see you next year.
- Also Known As:
- Voyager Beach Hotel Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Kenya
- Voyager Beach Resort Mombasa
- Voyager Beach
- Voyager Beach Resort Kenya
- Voyager Beach Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Mombasa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Moored seven kilometres north of Mombasa city centre, Voyager Beach Resort's convenient 'berth' gives guests easy access to a huge variety of historical, sporting and cultural attractions. The vibrant themed resort is famous for hosting some of Africa's finest family entertainments and animation programs, including unique themed journeys across the seven seas, culinary extravaganzas, with very supervised kids' activities and days out with Africa's best-known and most experienced childrens' safari club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Voyager Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.