“Wonderful location but in need of a refurb” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Voyager Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Voyager Beach Resort to your Saves list
Voyager Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Nyali Off Links Road, | Mount Kenya Road, Mombasa 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Mombasa
“Wonderful location but in need of a refurb”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

The Voyager Beach Hotels is in a lovely location. Our room was practically on the beach and the views of the Indian ocean were spectacular. The staff were very helpful and friendly, however, you have to get used to African time, everything at a snails pace. This would be okay if for example your room was cleaned out and changed etc by about two in the afternoon but very often it would be six or seven before everything was finished and the room service was often very obtrusive. The whole complex looked a little tired and run down and could do with a full refurb. I would personally give the resort three stars rather than the four it has been given.
The food on the whole was good and there was always a lot of choice, and the rice was always outstanding. The entertainment was often entertaining for all the wrong reasons and at times was frankly appalling, one night the people miming very badly to hits from various musicals. However , there were some very good shows put on but overall the entertainment was inconsistent.
At the end of the day all of this really paled into insignificance, after all its in Kenya, and it was a truly magical holiday.

• Stayed September 2012
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Hello Guest,
Thank you for your review. I have taken note of all the comments raised and the ones that can be acted on immediately will be. This includes
1. Rooms being cleaned late
2. Stewards obtrusive
3. Entertaining for wrong reasons, though i would want to know what exactly you mean by this
You have commended on the need for works and I am happy to confirm that a sample room is already developed so it is kind of work in progress.
We are so glad you stayed here and appreciate your input.
Kind regards,
The Voyager Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at the Voyager in August 2012. It was absolutely amazing. The dinners served buffet style are sure to please even the pickiest eaters and even had plenty of choices for children. The first night they had live music and a show that was all included.

The beach is beautiful with the typical amenities.

The room was a bit small, as was the bathroom, but it was clean, and had plenty of hot water.

I live in Nairobi most of the time. And on the last day, I was just hanging around waiting to go to the airport. I recieved a phone calll on my cell phone, it was security at the hotel. He asked me if I was missing something. I thought this was an odd question, but sure enough my wallet was missing. The first thing that went through my mind is that if it gets found it will be empty, so I went to the security counter and gave them a description. The security guard handed over my wallet which I had apparently dropped when I used the Washroom. All of my credit cards and money was there, He got a nice tip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your feedback on the Forum. This is truly appreciated. You will have noticed that i respond to all comments on TripAdvisor and normally all i say is thank you and your comments are noted.
However today allow me to say a little more. I personally worked here initially as Resident Manager for five years. later I was the Captain for six years.
In those years, one thing i can vouch for is the sincerity and honesty of the Associates. The number of times we have recovered lost items, or found a safe that was left open by a guest and everything kept well are numerous.
I must therefore say that the fabric of the Voyager Crew is really very honest and good nartured Ladies and Gentlemen. This is truly our most renowned Asset.
I will post this feedback to the "Staff Wall of Fame" so they can all see how much we all appreciate them.
I thank you for sharing this important feedback.
Good day.
The Group Operations Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Staff is very professional except Esther(main restaurant). Managers are available and visible at all times. Food great especially lunch. I would certainly go back. This are 4 things that I would make this place an A+ .

1.Rooms get a C+ grade but clean because of bathrooms which are old. Beach might need a little more cleaning. There was someone I saw cleaning the beach and then throwing the pile of dirt right back into the beach, so the trash is thrown right back into the beach.

2.The restaurant has fabulous food, except fruits...fruit choice is minimal and raw 90% of the time. I saw a lady cutting fruit and Esther from Ice cream telling her to keep the ripe ones for themselves..I asked for a ripe piece just then, and was told there was none.

3.Towels, towels..towels are rough and look dirty. They seem like someone wiped dirty oil and then just rinsed the towels. Bleach should take off the stains in the towels..its better if its rough but white. I NEVER in a day got a white towel..carry your own incase this hasnt changed.

4.Umbrellas are minimal...There is plenty of lounge chairs but no umbrellas around the pool More umbrella means more fun..especially around the animation pool so those of us with kids can rest under umbrella as we watch our kids.

Overall, it is a lovely place to stay and would visit again.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms is a definite must and love it. AC is perfect.. spa ladies are not professionally...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Hello Guest,
Allow me to thank you for taking time to post your feedback. This is appreciated. I do note that you had very good feedback overall, however, the following comments were of concern.
1. Raw Fruits
2. At least one rude staff who you have mentioned by name
3. State of Towels
4. Need for Parasols
5. Cleaning of the Beach
6. State of Bathrooms
All these items are within the Management control are are short term so we shall be able to deal with them.
Point 6 is a development item and you may have seen the sample rooms already developed so it is in the planning mode.
The management commitment is to ensure this is the place of choice and so we shall definitely address all the matter raised.
Your Sincerely,
Wasike W (FIH)
Group Operations Manager
Point
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

great place, even a bit shady, the hotel and staff were very friendly and helpful.
few advices - food is good and safe - just wash your hands after every handshake or souvenir look, touch... did not like the sea food - pricy and not as i was wanting it

ocean - learn when water is up and when is down - it has it is own circle

garden - nice and safe

pools - good and clean

beach - they tried to clean it everyday and did good job - still had few items but livable

i like that place!!!

Room Tip: i picked garden view - very quite
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
we thank you for this feedback. We will work on the Seafood as suggested. The Crew looks forward to hosting you again soon.
Halibou
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I am wondering if any recent visitors to the Voyager has suspected money stolen directly from their in-room safe? This happened to me while I was just in Kenya and the Voyager was one of only 3 hotels (out of 9) that we visited that had in-room safes -- and we are sure the theft occurred in this manner due to the "surgical strike" of a few bills of each denomination taken and then neatly replaced in our bill fold. (The rest of the time our money was tightly on our person, and such cherry picking of bills would not have been possible.)
I am not directly accusing this hotel, it could have been any of the the three, and based on other reviewers' similar experiences and poor responses by management, I doubt there is much we could have done about it anyway. But if anybody has had a similar experience at the Voyager, I would be grateful to know.
And just a good overall warning to people that even your in-room safes are not "safe". Tally your bills each night; I usually do but it fell through the cracks on my unusually busy work trip.

Room Tip: loud music until 11pm each night from the central performance area. If you are not at this hotel to...
Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to post your feedback. We do not want to question your comments on the safe but we will be very surprised if one can loose Money in a safe. This is because
1. You are the only person with a Password to your safe
2. We do have Memory records and can trace all the times the safe was opened.
3. Voyager uses Elsafes brand of safes which by and large could be some of the best in the world with the best security features.
If indeed anything is stolen from the safe it can only be by a person who knows your private pin. However what can help in such a case is if you cooperate with the Hotel in getting matter properly investigated including doing finger dusting and the related.
We appreciate your inviting all who may think their Money was stolen in the safe to post comments so we can see and analyze
As a management we are committed to ensuring all cases brought to us with be thoroughly investigated and appropriate corrections taken.
We are glad you stayed in Voyager.
Regards,
The Group Operations Manager.
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Tropical paradise ,big enough to have plenty to explore but small enough to be friendly.
nicely manicured gardens with memory garden open to the public ,peaceful and full of wildlife and turned into a party/education venue for locals.
Food was amazing and never got bored with the different themes everyday as the hotels voyage theme stopped at a different country everyday.
The local entertainment is fantastic and those guys work so hard everyday!
Lovely to see weddings and social events added to the African feel of the hotel.
Scuba diving to be recommended and shady from scuba team was fab.
The lookout bar was the most romantic and beautiful place to chill out at the end of the night .
The staff were all polite and couldn't do enough to help .A few issues with the safety deposit box and air conditioning but promptly sorted by helpful staff.
Overall ......Amazing !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Ahoy,
We are grateful you posted your comments. These will be used to make Voyager the place of Choice.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Regards,
Crewe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Voyager is a great hotel we went in september 2012, the staff are great. the food was good with some food cooked as you request it. we went to both the italian and the seafood restaurant both were good. resort is well kept and clean. The room was great although could do with the bathroom updating which we were told will be happening soon that said it was cleaned daily with fresh supplies of water etc. We plan to return to Kenya and the Voyager in a few years time. We went on a safari with JT Safaris in Nayali who looked after us expertly, booked over the web with no problems, George our driver was a legend.

Room Tip: go for rooms with a sea view, they are quieter and better located.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ahoy Guest,
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Exhilarated that you will be coming again. We all look forward to sail with you again.
The Voyager Crew.

Been to Voyager Beach Resort? Share your experiences!