“overall fantastic holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Voyager Beach Resort

You added Voyager Beach Resort to your Saves list
Voyager Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Nyali Off Links Road, | Mount Kenya Road, Mombasa 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Mombasa
Crewe, United Kingdom
“overall fantastic holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Voyager is a great hotel we went in september 2012, the staff are great. the food was good with some food cooked as you request it. we went to both the italian and the seafood restaurant both were good. resort is well kept and clean. The room was great although could do with the bathroom updating which we were told will be happening soon that said it was cleaned daily with fresh supplies of water etc. We plan to return to Kenya and the Voyager in a few years time. We went on a safari with JT Safaris in Nayali who looked after us expertly, booked over the web with no problems, George our driver was a legend.

Room Tip: go for rooms with a sea view, they are quieter and better located.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Ahoy Guest,
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Exhilarated that you will be coming again. We all look forward to sail with you again.
The Voyager Crew.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at the Voyager for our Honeymoon in November 2012.

The hotel was great and had everything we needed. The staff were very nice, especially Margaret at the Relax pool who was always smiling and remembered everyone's favourite drinks!

We went on Safari with JT Safaris and have written a separate review about the amazing trip we had and what a fantastic service they provide on their page.

The Smugglers Cove restaurant in the hotel is well worth a visit too as they serve some wonderful seafood dishes!

We had a lovely time and would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ahoy,
A honeymoon is a special time in ones life. For us in the Voyager we try to make this special and I am glad we did.
We all look forward to hosting you in your anniversaries
The Voyager Crew
Littlestone-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed as a 2 couples at the Voyager from 15th - 31st December. It was a return visit for 2 of us (see December 2010 review) & we picked the Voyager as there was a "big birthday" to celebrate - we thought it would fit the bill & our friends would be suitably impressed...which they were

Our rooms were sea front (4101 & 4102) which are ground floor & very handy for the adult pool & dive / watersports centre - see separate review for Buccaneer Diving.

Since our last stay, they have appointed a new Executive Chef & we noticed a definite improvement in quality of the buffet food, plus less queueing due to better setting out of the food stations. We also ate at the Minestrone Italian Restaurant 4 times (available at no extra charge if you are all inclusive & book at reception in advance & great for an a la carte menu in a quiet location) & twice at the Smugglers Cove Seafood Restaurant (50% discount on food & 20% on wine if A/I - excellent lobster) twice.

The staff are excellent at this resort & made our stay & "big birthday" very memorable & special thanks go to Margret (pool bar), Daisy & Margaret (customer relations), John & James (Minestrone & Smugglers Cove restaurant) & Kennedy (adult pool). Many of the staff are long serving & some remembered us from 2 years ago.

We were surprised to see the amount of Kenyans using the hotel - since we were last there one of the large UK tour operators has pulled out (no idea why) so for the first week, it was about 75% Kenyan / 25% European, although this reversed for the second week over Christmas

Only a couple of minor points to knock the hotel about - firstly, they charge for room safes which are well past ther sell by date (we had to have ours repaired 2 or 3 times during our stay) & the bathrooms are in need of an overhaul......not enough minor bad points to knock it from it's lofty 5 star perch though.

We will (hopefully) return!

Room Tip: Sea view block 4
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ahoy Guest,
Thank you for this review. I respect its objectivity and i will be following up on all the matters raised and have them corrected.
Just that you know we have procured new safes and these will be fixed shortly.
I am so glad you came and truly grateful that you have shared your experiences with us.
Kind Regards,
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Lovely hotel, great service,great food ( we even put on weight few kg during our stay). Pan cakes are the best!!!! We will miss this beautiful country, such a positive and happy people, great hotel. We will come back. Rooms are very simple,but very clean. Ocean view from our room was amazing. Good value for the money.Animation team was very good. Every night entertainment was different, Mombasa roots group was amazing.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra for the ocean view room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ahoy Guest,
As you will have noticed i do read, analyze and respond to all Guest Comments. This is one that i have nothing to add but just acknowledge our gratefulness that you came, you saw and you sailed with us.
Have a Sailing Day.
Good day.
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed at the voyager for the last six days and it was an awesome experience.This was my first visit to the Voyager and i plan on returning as it turned out to exceed my expectation. Stayed in a superior room which was quite large, very serene and opened up to a breathe taking outside.It offered the kind of relaxation i was looking for before getting back to work. The staff are very warm and very professional special mention: Bahati supervisor of the animation team who gave me a tour of the entire hotel with lots of enthusiasm and Edward of the look out bar who mixed great cocktails. The food was great and i thoroughly enjoyed the salads that were always fresh and a variety offered.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Good Morning,
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Voyager. We all look forward to seeing you again soon.
Good Day and God Bless
Lagos, Nigeria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

What started out as a good trip turned poor when the front desk refused to confirm my booking on time and resulted me in paying for an extra night. I was quite pleased initially when my package was upgraded but it wasn't worth the stress and upset I felt towards the end. Was so bad the manager told me it wasn't too late for me to check out and get a flight, considering I was a solo traveller, it was 6pm and I'm not kenyan, I found it rude and unsettling.

The room was clean but bathroom wasn't. I had spilled some of my pink hair conditioner on the shower wall and I noticed every time room was cleaned, the conditioner remained on the wall. I decided to leave it there as test.

Seafood offered is fish only. I think I ate potatoes, fish and spinach everyday. The menu was quite boring. Most other hotels offer squid, prawns, mussels etc. can't help but think Voyager focused more on quantity than quality. Lunch time you are better off skipping the restaurant and instead ordering from the snack menu at the bar by the sports pool.

The staff are friendly bordering on intrusive. Maybe it's just me but asking me my age and if I'm married I believe is no concern of anyone's.

Check out was easy ( thankfully) but be sure to check the conversion and itemized charges. Mine needed to be corrected and reprinted.

The beach is nice, the all inclusive drinks taste cheap, and basically with all the hotels available in Mombasa, I certainly won't be returning to Voyager Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view by adults pool is quiet and has good views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Good Morning,
I do read and respond to all Guest Comments, this has taken me aback. cant remember ever a guest being told to check out by Management. Neither do i recall a feedback as spicy as this is for a long time.
I am however grateful you wrote and i will investigate and correct as needed. So glad you posted your feedback even if i may not fully agree with it.
Good Day
The Group Operations Manager
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed December 2012 just before Xmas for a week. Bathroom needs updating, shower cubicle tiny, no long bath except in suites.
Kids club needs improving.
Don't understand why only some local beers are given in all inclusive and not all as they are all roughly the same price everywhere else in Kenya.
Kids club needs updating and replacement of toys plus kid animators need to be more creative, they look pretty bored.
On the plus food is extremely good with a lot of variety, service is courteous and friendly. Grounds and layout is pretty good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Ahoy Guest,
I acknowledge having read your posting on the Forum. I have taken note of all your comments and I glad to advise that i will closely foolow up all of them.
Allow me to mention that we are the Mother of Kids Club in Kenya. We started the concept together with re engineering and reorganizing Animation in this part of the World.
These are virtues we want to very strongly uphold so rest assured that you comments on the Kids Club has touched our Nerves and we shall work towards turning it around.
Having said that in December w were having an average of 120 kids per days, something that has never happened before and this is why we found ourselves a little overtaken. We have since recovered and I welcome you to come and see what happening as soon as you can.
We are so glad you penned your opinion.
Kind Regards,