“Even better than last time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Voyager Beach Resort

You added Voyager Beach Resort to your Saves list
Voyager Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Nyali Off Links Road, | Mount Kenya Road, Mombasa 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Mombasa
Littlestone-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Even better than last time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed as a 2 couples at the Voyager from 15th - 31st December. It was a return visit for 2 of us (see December 2010 review) & we picked the Voyager as there was a "big birthday" to celebrate - we thought it would fit the bill & our friends would be suitably impressed...which they were

Our rooms were sea front (4101 & 4102) which are ground floor & very handy for the adult pool & dive / watersports centre - see separate review for Buccaneer Diving.

Since our last stay, they have appointed a new Executive Chef & we noticed a definite improvement in quality of the buffet food, plus less queueing due to better setting out of the food stations. We also ate at the Minestrone Italian Restaurant 4 times (available at no extra charge if you are all inclusive & book at reception in advance & great for an a la carte menu in a quiet location) & twice at the Smugglers Cove Seafood Restaurant (50% discount on food & 20% on wine if A/I - excellent lobster) twice.

The staff are excellent at this resort & made our stay & "big birthday" very memorable & special thanks go to Margret (pool bar), Daisy & Margaret (customer relations), John & James (Minestrone & Smugglers Cove restaurant) & Kennedy (adult pool). Many of the staff are long serving & some remembered us from 2 years ago.

We were surprised to see the amount of Kenyans using the hotel - since we were last there one of the large UK tour operators has pulled out (no idea why) so for the first week, it was about 75% Kenyan / 25% European, although this reversed for the second week over Christmas

Only a couple of minor points to knock the hotel about - firstly, they charge for room safes which are well past ther sell by date (we had to have ours repaired 2 or 3 times during our stay) & the bathrooms are in need of an overhaul......not enough minor bad points to knock it from it's lofty 5 star perch though.

We will (hopefully) return!

Room Tip: Sea view block 4
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Ahoy Guest,
Thank you for this review. I respect its objectivity and i will be following up on all the matters raised and have them corrected.
Just that you know we have procured new safes and these will be fixed shortly.
I am so glad you came and truly grateful that you have shared your experiences with us.
Kind Regards,
The Voyager Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Lovely hotel, great service,great food ( we even put on weight few kg during our stay). Pan cakes are the best!!!! We will miss this beautiful country, such a positive and happy people, great hotel. We will come back. Rooms are very simple,but very clean. Ocean view from our room was amazing. Good value for the money.Animation team was very good. Every night entertainment was different, Mombasa roots group was amazing.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra for the ocean view room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ahoy Guest,
As you will have noticed i do read, analyze and respond to all Guest Comments. This is one that i have nothing to add but just acknowledge our gratefulness that you came, you saw and you sailed with us.
Have a Sailing Day.
Good day.
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed at the voyager for the last six days and it was an awesome experience.This was my first visit to the Voyager and i plan on returning as it turned out to exceed my expectation. Stayed in a superior room which was quite large, very serene and opened up to a breathe taking outside.It offered the kind of relaxation i was looking for before getting back to work. The staff are very warm and very professional special mention: Bahati supervisor of the animation team who gave me a tour of the entire hotel with lots of enthusiasm and Edward of the look out bar who mixed great cocktails. The food was great and i thoroughly enjoyed the salads that were always fresh and a variety offered.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Good Morning,
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Voyager. We all look forward to seeing you again soon.
Good Day and God Bless
Lagos, Nigeria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

What started out as a good trip turned poor when the front desk refused to confirm my booking on time and resulted me in paying for an extra night. I was quite pleased initially when my package was upgraded but it wasn't worth the stress and upset I felt towards the end. Was so bad the manager told me it wasn't too late for me to check out and get a flight, considering I was a solo traveller, it was 6pm and I'm not kenyan, I found it rude and unsettling.

The room was clean but bathroom wasn't. I had spilled some of my pink hair conditioner on the shower wall and I noticed every time room was cleaned, the conditioner remained on the wall. I decided to leave it there as test.

Seafood offered is fish only. I think I ate potatoes, fish and spinach everyday. The menu was quite boring. Most other hotels offer squid, prawns, mussels etc. can't help but think Voyager focused more on quantity than quality. Lunch time you are better off skipping the restaurant and instead ordering from the snack menu at the bar by the sports pool.

The staff are friendly bordering on intrusive. Maybe it's just me but asking me my age and if I'm married I believe is no concern of anyone's.

Check out was easy ( thankfully) but be sure to check the conversion and itemized charges. Mine needed to be corrected and reprinted.

The beach is nice, the all inclusive drinks taste cheap, and basically with all the hotels available in Mombasa, I certainly won't be returning to Voyager Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view by adults pool is quiet and has good views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Good Morning,
I do read and respond to all Guest Comments, this has taken me aback. cant remember ever a guest being told to check out by Management. Neither do i recall a feedback as spicy as this is for a long time.
I am however grateful you wrote and i will investigate and correct as needed. So glad you posted your feedback even if i may not fully agree with it.
Good Day
The Group Operations Manager
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed December 2012 just before Xmas for a week. Bathroom needs updating, shower cubicle tiny, no long bath except in suites.
Kids club needs improving.
Don't understand why only some local beers are given in all inclusive and not all as they are all roughly the same price everywhere else in Kenya.
Kids club needs updating and replacement of toys plus kid animators need to be more creative, they look pretty bored.
On the plus food is extremely good with a lot of variety, service is courteous and friendly. Grounds and layout is pretty good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Ahoy Guest,
I acknowledge having read your posting on the Forum. I have taken note of all your comments and I glad to advise that i will closely foolow up all of them.
Allow me to mention that we are the Mother of Kids Club in Kenya. We started the concept together with re engineering and reorganizing Animation in this part of the World.
These are virtues we want to very strongly uphold so rest assured that you comments on the Kids Club has touched our Nerves and we shall work towards turning it around.
Having said that in December w were having an average of 120 kids per days, something that has never happened before and this is why we found ourselves a little overtaken. We have since recovered and I welcome you to come and see what happening as soon as you can.
We are so glad you penned your opinion.
Kind Regards,
Hereford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was our second holiday at VBH having been here two years ago. We rarely return to the same hotel so returning here to celebrate our wedding anniversary tells you how much we enjoyed it previously.

Due to flight timings we had one night at VBH before we commenced our safari.
We stayed at Little Governors Camp, Masai Mara and booked it through Julius at JT Safaris.
I have posted separate reviews in the appropriate forums and I would highly recommend both.
On return from Safari we commenced our 14 nights holiday at the hotel.

When we initially booked in I was very happy when the hotel rep (Julius from Pulmans?) told us we could keep our room whilst on safari as this meant we could unpack rather than leave the stuff in the hotel storage.
After unpacking we went back to reception to sort out the room safe only to be told that we only needed to pay for one nights safe because we only had the room for one night !!!
To cut a long story short and after a heated discussions we had to go back to the room and repack the suitcases.
It's fair to say that at this point I wished we had not returned to this hotel. The booking in process is long winded and no one seems to know what is going on. One female staff member in particular was not helpful or friendly.
On return from our safari we faced the same chaotic process including waiting at least 30 minutes for a safe key that we didn't need!
Thankfully, after we unpacked our stuff and settled into the holiday everything was very good and the booking in process was the only negative aspect we faced during our stay.

A lot has been said about the rooms being tired but we found ours to be very good. Perhaps it had the makeover? We were ground floor (as requested) near to the Mashua restaurant and had no concerns.
Just remember this a third world country and just a few mile down the road is the most appalling conditions Ive seen in a long time.

The restaurant itself is used for breakfast, lunch & dinner and does a very good job in trying to please hundreds of holiday makers from many countries, 3 times a day, seven days a week.
Apart from the evening of our wedding anniversary we used it all the time and there was only a couple of times where I had to resort to the pasta station because I couldn't find any min course I liked.
Reading other reviews of VBH you will be aware that the hotel has a "ship" theme and that each day the ship docks in a different country and this forms the basis of the meals served that day. Sometimes I wandered around wondering what the theme was and I'm not sure there were as many themes as two years ago but on the whole it all worked out ok.

There did appear to be a lot of restaurant staff from two years ago who were no longer here and I don't think we got as friendly with them this time around as two years ago.
Mary, Rebecca and the tall girl whose name I have forgotten (sorry) were friendly as was Theo, who was very surprised but happy that we remembered him from our last visit.

To be fair, most of the staff are very friendly and really appreciate it when you ask after them. Mary from the salon was very nice but special mention must go to Margaret who served us regularly in the relax pool. She was very friendly, always had a smile on her face and time for a chat.

Twice a week they hold a "captain's table" where approx 6/8 guests are invited to dine with the captain or one of his officers on the deck overlooking the beach.
We were lucky enough to get an invite and it was a very nice evening.
it gives the management a chance to talk to the guests about their experiences. It also gives the chefs an opportunity to "push the boat out" (no pun intended) and prepare some excellent food which was very professionally presented, even down to having your name written in chocolate sauce on your dessert plate.
Our host was Vincent who was one of the head chefs and whenever we bumped into him after the event he always found time to speak with us.

We also chatted with Captain Sylvester a number of times. My wife had an upset stomach and he enquired after her whenever we saw him. During one discussion, I mentioned our wedding anniversary was in a few days time and he obviously listened because on that particular night when we had our meal in the seafood restaurant, we were giving a complimentary bottle of bubbly and then a number of staff came down to the restaurant singing a local song and they gave us a celebration cake which the chef had made.
All inclusive guests have to pay 50% of the menu price to dine here but it's worth it even of you just do it once.
There is also an "Italian style" restaurant which is part of the all inclusive deal but we never used it.

During the run up to our holiday, we learned that Thomson had pulled out of this hotel and the hotel was quieter than we expected but we quite liked that. This didn't stop a certain group from putting the beach towels down by the pool in the best spot though !

Whether this has anything to do with Thomsons pulling out or not I don't know but the clientele has changed since our last visit.
There were less UK families with children, more nationalities', more business people and more Kenyan's, the latter being very pleasing to see.

I mentioned at the start of this review, the problems we encountered with the reception booking in process and the only other negative I would mention is the beach. In fact there are two negatives here. Firstly the seaweed can be a problem at certain times of the year which is a shame because the water is beautiful, I couldn't believe how warm it was. Secondly, the beach boys. You either love them or hate them. Personally I thought they were a pain and should understand that one "no" is enough and stop pestering people to buy wood carvings or trips. Obviously this isn't under the control of the hotel but if you want to spend all your holiday lying on the beach then this isn't the place for you.
Other than this, we love it here, the staff are a big selling point and we would use it again as our base for another Kenyan safari.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
I acknowledge having read this report. I am grateful by and large things worked well for you. I have taken note of the times when things did not and will work on the same.
Kind regards,
Wasike
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We spent 6 nights over the new year holiday at the Voyager Beach Resort.
We have been coming here close to the last 12 years and what stands out now more than ever is the dire need for a make over for the rooms and common areas in the hotel. However, the management and staff have ensured that they make up for the tired rooms by their excellent service, food and activities. They threw the best ever new Year's eve party with great food, and the entertainment flowed seamlessly.
The owners should support its management and staff by uplifting the facilities. Otherwise, it is a good family hotel.

Room Tip: The Superior Garden or Sea View rooms are much larger than the standard rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello Guest,
Thanks for posting your feedback. It is appreciated.
Regards,
The Group Operations Manager

Been to Voyager Beach Resort? Share your experiences!