“weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Mombasa
Mombasa
“weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

it has been a very long time, since i have visited this Hotel. I heard from friends that in the past the Hotel had deteriorated. I then came to know that there is a new ownership and since November 2012 also a new management. So i decided to give it a try and spend a weekend there. The room i had was very nice with a great view towards the ocean. The food was excellent. The dining room is beautiful as well as the lobby. I loved the Beach Bar and also Harry's Bar. I also went to enjoy the ambiance of the Casino. In short, one can feel some fresh air and i am happy about the improvements which will surely help to bring back this traditional hotel to it's past glory.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Rooms in serious need of an upgrade. Tv does not work. Breakfast was really average. Will not stay again. Fotunately it was only 1 night. A better bet is the white sands hotel up the road. Try and stay in the renovated rooms - did not stay in one but they can only be better than the one I had in the West wing. Try and get a room close to reception (numbers x00 to x25).

• Stayed January 2013
Durban, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I used this hotel during a business trip. I was a bit sceptical at first as I had used the hotel many times before and noticed that every time the hotel looked more run down than the last time. I was pleasantly surprised as there have been major renovations and improvements. My room was in the wing past the main dining room [left wing] and this room had been renovated and was quite comfortable. The air conditioner although operational was noisy and as I am a light sleeper found it irritating. I am not sure if all the rooms have been renovated but all the areas I used have been.
My board was bed and breakfast only, the breakfast adequate. I used the room service a few times, food can only be described as average. If you do not have transport, good restaurant visits are a problem as there are none in the immediate vicinity.
Remember that the traffic congestion can cause delays if you are working in the city or port. The hotel is not too far from the main city centre and port entrances which is good for business.
I did not use the beach which did look clean, used the main pool which is quiet and very well maintained.
The staff are fantastic, very attentive, I learned a few words of Swahili and this made a big difference. If you play golf, the Nyali Golf Club is very close and I managed to play 9 holes on a very well maintained golf course.
I would not use this hotel for a holiday but for business it is adequate. Beware the square 3-pin plugs, a multi plug adaptor is a must as most of our chargers and power supplies are two pin [round].
There was a flat screen TV, programs were not very good and reception was poor. Good free wi-fi generally good speed in the rooms but every now and then a better reception was found in the main foyer..

Room Tip: Upper floors and make sure that the room has been renovated. Make sure your room has a safe.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Aftab R, Chief Operating Officer at Nyali International Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for taking the time to post your comment. Your feedback is extremely important in guiding us in our endeavour to improve our product and services. We have taken note of the concerns you have raised and assure you that we are constantly working to make our guests enjoy their stay at the Hotel be they on business or a pleasure trip.
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed there for nights on a business trip. The rooms are just about OK. Housekeeping and service is poor. They still had a 20" TV (the one with a picture tube) with horribble picture and sound quality. The Bed was comfortable and the sheets and towels were clean. The buffet is not too elaborate but quality is good. The staff is courteous and helpful

The good part is the beach that is just across the swimming pools. A stroll on the beach in the morning and evening makes up for all the negatives.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I booked to stay at the hotel with my wife and two kids for Christmas, Dec 22 - 27, 2012, having stayed there the previous two years. Having settled upon arrival, I went to Harrys bar while the rest went to swim and later proceeded to dinner. I left the bar at 8 pm, went to the room, changed and joined the family for dinner at 8.20 pm. I left my Ipad charging having used up all charge on my way. I left the dinner table with the kids at 9.10 pm and the first thing I noticed was my missing Ipad.
We reported to the reception, who brought some managers- Security and PR. The two men assured they would follow up on the issue and I should not worry ....etc.They also assured me that there had been no such cases of theft at the hotel. Someone (most likely hotel staff) obviously opened my room while I was at dinner.

I later came to learn with some bitterness that:-

1. Cases of theft are rampant, widespread and regular at the hotel. On the day my Ipad was stolen, at least four other rooms were broken into and the guests lost computers, mobile phones and even clothes. Most of them were foreigners with flights to catch in the morning so they could not follow up. The hotel owes its guests a duty of care to advise them to carry their valuables at all times.

2. The management's attitude towards these occurrences is extremely casual. They are out to mollify the guests in the short term and make sure no one overhears the guests' complaints regarding the same. They will buy time while avoiding facing you or taking any action. I eventually insisted on reporting the matter to Police, but it was 24 hours later. If the matter had been reported earlier, we could have recovered the items.

3. It is almost like there is a conspiracy of silence towards these issues among hotel staff. They treat the guest who has been stolen from as though you are an aggressor. You cannot tell who among them are part of the theft cartel and who are not. This obviously does not augur well for a holiday/ business experience.

I am yet to get any sort of apology or empathy from the hotel management although I spent four of the five days booked at the police station following up on the theft.

Kimani ngwiri,
Nairobi.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed with my parents and family at the hotel last week. The entire experience from checking in to check out was quite poor.
The rooms looked all run down, faucets not working, safe not working, the air conditioner condensed water dripping in the passage...Even curtains are as good as transparent.
Finally it took almost 20 mins to check out and settle the bill as the hotel system had not posted a cheque. Very frustrating experience.
As vegetarians, there was nothing to eat other than burger and chips on full board. There were a few positive experiences: Onesmus the F & B supervisor who went out of the way to arrange a lunch when we arrived and the housekeeping efficiency.
I would definitely not recommend this to anyone when there are better options available for the same spend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mombasa, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our Wedding Anniversary at Nyali International. The Hotel is ideally located on the Nyali Beach, has great ambiance, good resturants ( more than 5 of them ), great food and recently renovated rooms.

They have recently started their REJUIVE SPA, which has a great ambiance, well trained and experienced therapists and reasonably priced. ( Worth trying once)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Indian Ocean are good
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nyali International Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!