“Not too good, but has it's pluses” 2 of 5 stars

Nyali International Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Moyne Drive, Mombasa 80100, Kenya   |
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in Mombasa
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Not too good, but has it's pluses”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed there for nights on a business trip. The rooms are just about OK. Housekeeping and service is poor. They still had a 20" TV (the one with a picture tube) with horribble picture and sound quality. The Bed was comfortable and the sheets and towels were clean. The buffet is not too elaborate but quality is good. The staff is courteous and helpful

The good part is the beach that is just across the swimming pools. A stroll on the beach in the morning and evening makes up for all the negatives.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I booked to stay at the hotel with my wife and two kids for Christmas, Dec 22 - 27, 2012, having stayed there the previous two years. Having settled upon arrival, I went to Harrys bar while the rest went to swim and later proceeded to dinner. I left the bar at 8 pm, went to the room, changed and joined the family for dinner at 8.20 pm. I left my Ipad charging having used up all charge on my way. I left the dinner table with the kids at 9.10 pm and the first thing I noticed was my missing Ipad.
We reported to the reception, who brought some managers- Security and PR. The two men assured they would follow up on the issue and I should not worry ....etc.They also assured me that there had been no such cases of theft at the hotel. Someone (most likely hotel staff) obviously opened my room while I was at dinner.

I later came to learn with some bitterness that:-

1. Cases of theft are rampant, widespread and regular at the hotel. On the day my Ipad was stolen, at least four other rooms were broken into and the guests lost computers, mobile phones and even clothes. Most of them were foreigners with flights to catch in the morning so they could not follow up. The hotel owes its guests a duty of care to advise them to carry their valuables at all times.

2. The management's attitude towards these occurrences is extremely casual. They are out to mollify the guests in the short term and make sure no one overhears the guests' complaints regarding the same. They will buy time while avoiding facing you or taking any action. I eventually insisted on reporting the matter to Police, but it was 24 hours later. If the matter had been reported earlier, we could have recovered the items.

3. It is almost like there is a conspiracy of silence towards these issues among hotel staff. They treat the guest who has been stolen from as though you are an aggressor. You cannot tell who among them are part of the theft cartel and who are not. This obviously does not augur well for a holiday/ business experience.

I am yet to get any sort of apology or empathy from the hotel management although I spent four of the five days booked at the police station following up on the theft.

Kimani ngwiri,
Nairobi.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed with my parents and family at the hotel last week. The entire experience from checking in to check out was quite poor.
The rooms looked all run down, faucets not working, safe not working, the air conditioner condensed water dripping in the passage...Even curtains are as good as transparent.
Finally it took almost 20 mins to check out and settle the bill as the hotel system had not posted a cheque. Very frustrating experience.
As vegetarians, there was nothing to eat other than burger and chips on full board. There were a few positive experiences: Onesmus the F & B supervisor who went out of the way to arrange a lunch when we arrived and the housekeeping efficiency.
I would definitely not recommend this to anyone when there are better options available for the same spend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mombasa, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our Wedding Anniversary at Nyali International. The Hotel is ideally located on the Nyali Beach, has great ambiance, good resturants ( more than 5 of them ), great food and recently renovated rooms.

They have recently started their REJUIVE SPA, which has a great ambiance, well trained and experienced therapists and reasonably priced. ( Worth trying once)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Indian Ocean are good
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Hotel is a very friendly place to be. Nice quiet location not far from anything and rooms are good. They are doing renovations so rooms are improving all the time
Things to note
Garden view rooms are the quietest
Ocean front may have the view but also the pool bar and associated beach noise but if view is what you wAnt the go for it
There is no Internet in the rooms unless you are close to lobby
Showers are good and hot
Bed hmmm personal preference for me is good cant say for you but make sure you request a queen or double
Food for breakfast is good. Other food facilities are good to
Overall it is a good hotel for business or pleasure. Family friendly
Enjoyed my time there

• Stayed December 2012
Naples, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

How is it that I had the key to my room the entire time, but someone managed to get into my room and steal my camera?
I checked into the hotel on 2 December 2012 with my camera hang around my neck. At around 7:20 pm we were allocated a room. One of the staff members took us up stairs to show us the room.
At around 8:00pm I left my hand bag on top of the table in the room. I thought since we had agreed with my colleagues to quickly have dinner together and just have a brief brainstorming meeting, it was alright to leave my rag sag which had my valuables on top of the table.
We came back to the room with some my colleagues, said prayers and we went to sleep.
All the while I was sure that everything was intact.
In the morning I went to the restaurant to have breakfast, with my bag securely put on my back lest I end up loosing anything.
At around 10am we had a tea break and I reached into to my bag to get my camera and it was missing.
I was sure where I had put in and all the while i had my colleagues over they were sitting on my bed and the seat next to the window and I was with them throughout so I am sure none of the would have taken it.

i went back upstairs and I began taking in the details- since it had'nt been cleaned only for me to realize that some things were not as they were when I checked in.
For instance the checked bed sheet and some pillows were moved to the side cabinet next to my bed yet when I checked in they were at the bottom of my bed.
I went and reported the cases following it up for the next three days and to date I haven't still received a concrete report of what really happened to my s3100 nikon coolpix camera.
I am so frustrated at the rate at which the investigation are moving......But the big question is do you have master keys?How accessed my room in my absence? Will I ever get a way forward with this matter?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Aftab R, General Manager at Nyali International Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
we are very sorry for your loss and everything is being done to recover the same, in the meantime, we are yet to link anyone to this case.
please note that the hotel has an elaborate security system that makes it virtually impossible for any unauthorized persons to access a guest room.
the hotel always endeavors to ensure the security of all guests and their property whilst in the hotel.
once again we are sorry for your loss and will revert on the progress or conclusion of the investigation.
wishing you a happy new year and prosperous 2013.
Hull East Yorkshire U K
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Twenty five years ago we arrived at Nyali Beach Hotel and fell in love with it,ive always called it my second home but now i find it a very cold hotel it was the most beauitful old colonial hotel in Kenya the history of the hotel the gardens the beach people loved .
we have been in Mombasa for the month of November staying with friends which was very enjoyable i visited Nyali lots of changes in staff trying to contact some one to book a holiday is very difficult this hotel had so many repeat guests during January to March we have always spent three months a year at Nyali Beach ,i'm sad Nyali has lost the old colonial style of hotel it was a wonderful place .

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Nyali International Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!