“Awesome, not a word I use lightly …” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #91 of 124 Activities in Mombasa
Type: Tours, Adventure
Harrow, United Kingdom
“Awesome, not a word I use lightly …”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

We’d never done a Safari, our first one with Katuta was an awesome experience. One of those things which it’s difficult to do justice in a short review; you have to do yourself to appreciate. Our holiday was based on Diani beach to the south of Mombasa, and we did three days in Tsavo East and West staying in Voi then Ngulia lodges.

We booked the safari with Big Joseph who’s working with Katuta. On the safari was Katuta, Joseph, my girlfriend and I, and two English women. So there was plenty of room in the van and everyone had a good view. Basically the guys were organized, punctual and looked after us very well. Everything went smoothly. We were safe to leave two cameras and a laptop with them in the van. We saw elephants, zebra, giraffes, monkeys, water buffalo, 2 lions, 2 leopards, wildebeest, hippos, crocodiles and more types of gazelle, antelope and bird than there’s space to mention. Unfortunately we didn’t see any rhino, not even in the rhino sanctuary in Tsavo West.

Three days left us with many lasting memories … at sunset on the balcony at Ngulia watching the elephants spraying themselves down in the watering holes … the excitement of Katuta driving the safari van like a crazed rally driver when he heard of a lion sighting on the CB radio (when he found the lioness there was a deserved round of applause and shouts of bravo)… the pure relaxation of the early morning game drive with the cool breeze and some tunes … Clearly three days in Tsavo is not the most adventurous trip, but it has whet our appetite to do a bigger tour with Katuta in the future.

Katuta has 21 years of experience doing safaris in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda so he knows the rules, the parks, the animals and the lodges. His passion for safari comes across, maybe not so obviously as our frequent, child-like excitement.
I thoroughly recommend booking with Katuta and Big Joseph. At our hotel the rep for the tour operator was selling tours and trips, and knocking some of the locals in their sales pitch. The rep was completely wrong. We ended up with just as good a trip, for a much more competitive price, and were happy to pay local people directly for their work and expertise.
I hope you will have as much fun as we did.

Visited April 2011
katuta, Owner at Katuta's Safaris - Day Tours, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Hi Kelly,
Jambo Sana! I hope you are well.Thank you very much for your credible review on tripadvisor.
It has impacted well on my business and everytime i read it i am reminded of the wonderful time we all had.
Karibu tena! hoping to see you and your wife again very soon!

yours sincerely,

your friend Katuta.

Rugby, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Use Katuta if you're staying on Diani Beach. Support the locals, get value for money and the best knowledge.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We stayed at the Southern Palms on Diani the last two weeks of April. Don't listen to the Thomson Rep's scare-mongering about booking with other operators. Go with Katuta Safari's - Katuta can be found right outside the main gate - just ask for him. We booked a half day Mombassa tour, three days Tsavo East & West staying at Voi & Ngulia and also overnight at Shimba Hills. We saw all the animals except Rhino and Katuta was so on the ball in Tsavo finding us the lions & leopards that we nicknamed him Simba the lion-man. Katuta has been running safari's for almost 20 years. He is a registered and insured operator with his own vehicle. He used to work for Pollman's (Thomson) before going out on his own. He is very trustworthy, polite, inobtrusive and a family man. We should support the locals. Remember - book all your trips with Katuta and negotiate a price - you have to barter with everyone in Kenya!

Visited April 2011
Jambo Sue!
I hope you are doing fine.i just wanted to thank you for such a wonderful and kind review that you posted on trip advisor.I has encouraged me and brought me more inquiries.
Happy travels and keep in touch.

Thank you again.
Katuta
Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Great Time !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

It was wonderful to go to safari with you and your team. Everything was well organized and trip was wonderful. I highly recommend anyone looking to have a wonderful time in Kenya and East African Region in general to use the servives of Katuta Safari's. You will have great time as I did with my family !!.

Visited December 2010
Jambo,
hope you are well. i would like to thank you for a credible review on trip advisor.
i would also like to welcome you back for even more of our tour packages that have now increased since your last trip.
Karibu Tena and keep in touch.

yours sincerely,
Katuta.
Holland
3 attraction reviews
“I want more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Had a great day snorkeling. Katuta new the best places. His advice to snorkel a little bit futher away from the hotel was worth the trip. I hope to go back some day and than have the safari trip.

Visited June 2010
Jambo sana,
Greetings here from Kenya! we hope you are well in Holland.
I want to thank you most sincerely for your business and especially for your kind and generous review on trip advisor.It has boosted our moral to be better.

Please come again.