“Japenese Heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Japenese Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Excellent atmosphere, food wonderful and Chef Ambi is a star. Will make this restauarant an absolute must when returning tto Mombasa.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good Japanese Restaurant in Mombasa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

A good Japanese Restaurant in Mombasa. The service and ambience are excellent. The waiter knew true Japanese expressions! Prices are quite high and the quality of sushi is not top notch in my opinion. Nevertheless, I would suggest to try Misono cuisine. Tempura and grilled dishes are excellent.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
all around
“Always delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I am a regular diner at Misono and everytime I visit it is simply superb. I am a Mombasa resident and whenever I have visitors I always make sure we include Misono on our itinerary. The food is well prepared and very tasty, the service excellent and I would recommend to anyone. Not the cheapest place to eat but the 'bento' dishes offer very good value and the tepanyaki offers a complete dining experience...

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mombasa
“The only japonese restaurant in mombasa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Excelent food ,and service, always fresh food, best waiters always with a smile in their faces

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mombasa, Kenya
“Perhaps just a bad night.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Misono - a Japanese Restaurant in Nyali (Behind the New City Mall - Nakumat) offering Sushi, Sashimi and Tepanyaki dishes + more. A nice decor that has had some thought put into it and gives a nice Japanese feel. Fairly open planned with a good breeze. We booked a table for 6 and from the start the table service was poor. They didn't check who had drinks and we constantly had to keep asking for all sorts of things throughout the evening (it was a Thursday night and not that busy. So no excuses!)

The quality of food is good but the portion sizes small - We all ordered the avocado and tuna salad and it looked and tasted fantastic BUT it only had 4/5 chunks of small tuna in it and mountain of avocado. Don't get me wrong I love avocado but I expect more tuna please!!! Taste was very nice though.

We also ordered a large portion of Sashimi + Sushi. This was nicely presented on a 'boat' for 4 of us to share. I had to ask for a number of things again before I could start as they had again 'forgotten'. No chopsticks, ginger and sauces. A minor inconvenience, but still one of many! Food was still enjoyed by all and glad to say no one got any food poisoning :)

At the end of the night we ordered the bill and this took over 15min to figure out as they had added extras that we never had and we ended up getting 4 revised bills before we could finally pay. Again it's not a huge issue... But I expect better! We had 2 drinks pp (beer, wine, sake) with our meal and we roughly paid 2,600ksh each (that's about £20 or $30 pp) This would be classed as a mid-range restaurant in Kenya.

Perhaps we just caught Misono on a bad table service AND 'low on tuna' night…. The food was good and enjoyed by most. So I'd still recommend this place. But I won't be rushing back any time soon...... For other nice options try out Tamarind, La Marina, Monsoons, Eatally, La Varanda, Sher-e-Punjab.

• Visited May 2012