“Pure, molten Awesomeness!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 99 restaurants in Mombasa
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Vegetarian, Continental
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Mombasa, Kenya
“Pure, molten Awesomeness!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Not bad. Not bad at all. Nothing beats having a cold drink on a floating restaurant at the open creek away from the unforgiving sun of Mombasa..

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
  • Turkish first
Mombasa, Kenya
“It must have been love, but it's over now!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Moorings was my absolute favourite restaurant in Mombasa for the obvious reasons...great food, excellent view! Not any more. I went there recently on a Sunday evening with 3 other people. I usually order the chicken curry but I opted for the oven roast chicken as 2 other members of my party were having it. It says on the menu that it takes 50 minutes to prepare (the reason I typically don't order this meal) but hey, it was Sunday and we were not in a rush. An hour later, the waiter arrives with one serving of the oven roast chicken and the prawns for the other member of our team. This surprised me as I thought a group of people are always served their meals together. On asking our waiter (Kahindi or Kaindi?)about this, he brusquely replied that the kitchen was very busy and they wanted to get the orders out as quickly as possible. This would be tolerable if it didn't take another 1 hour to get the remaining 2 orders of the oven roast chicken! It took so long that the 2 of us who had already eaten and finished there meals were already hungry enough to partake of the 2 new meals!!!

Well I do admit that the restaurant had quite a few patrons but it was not full to capacity (I have been there before when it had more diners and the service wasn't as poor). I reckon the first order of oven roast chicken we received was a reject from a previous diner.

I was very disappointed with the service this time (perhaps because I had had dinner at La Marina the previous evening and the Moorings came up short in comparison) and I am therefore demoting it as my favourite restaurant in Mombasa (and promoting La Marina). I will probably be going back but not on a Sunday evening that's for sure!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We visited the Moorings with a friend who recommend it. It was beautiful the location of this restaurant is so amazing and quite romantic even though I was with my best friend. The staff were really lovely and the food was really nice too :)

Visited August 2013
Helsinki, Finland
“Great restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Good food, reasonable prices and really nice atmosphere! We were there on July so there weren't many people but we got really good and fast service.

Visited July 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
“Fabulous food with a view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Wow! What a setting! Parked mini-boats on the side of this floating restaurant makes for great ambiance. The food is super fresh and the service quite good. The cocktails are even better..especially when taken on-board the evening boat ride.

• Visited October 2012