“great chef” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tipilikwani Masai Mara Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tipilikwani Masai Mara Camp
You added Tipilikwani Masai Mara Camp to your Saves list
C14 Keekorok -Masai Mara Reserve- | Parklands Road off Waiyaki Way, PO Box 42475, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00100, Kenya   |
Bennington, Vermont
“great chef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

The food and the chef deserve special attention, they were really exceptional: friendly, helpful, solicitous, talented. My wife is a vegetarian. In addition to the other choices, she always had several choices and all the selections we had over 3 days were delicious.

Listening to the baboons in the distance, while eating a delicious dinner in - or just outside - the charming dining area, is an experience to hold on to.

Overall the camp was OK...the tents were nice the people were friendly and interesting and the location was great. We'd advise a tent as far as possible from the reception area. The noise of vehicles coming and going, either too late in the evening or too early in the morrning, was a negative.

Room Tip: away from the driveway
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This was not our first choice but could not get to the hotel where friends were staying. Having never been on a safari before we were not at all sure what to expect. I was particularly worried as I have a chronic spinal problem and a dodgy stomach at the best of times. Add this to the fear of being bitten to death by mosquitos and you could say I set off with some feelings of trepidation.
However, the flight from Ukunda to Olkiombo was great and we were greeted by two lovely Maasai Guides on arrival at the air strip. Dee was our driver/guide for the duration of our stay-3 days- and wasted no time in taking us on a very interesting journey on our way to Tipilikwani, where we were staying. The hotel was very welcoming and the security staff, who escorted you to your tent each night, to David, the manager were just the best. We were very comfortable and extremely well looked after. Another David, in the restaurant was very attentive and we even had a visit from Simon, the chef who came to ask if all was well. Dee and Francess, our guides were extremely knowledgeable and had no problem in showing us 'the big five' and plenty more besides. I would have no worries about returning. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so wonderful. Oh and no bites, stings or bad tummy either.
Negatives: None really although the gift shop was very expensive, as expected. In fact my only complaint is that it was not long enough.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Am happy many travellers has rated this camp and equally of the same opinion.The level of services is quite commendable and the staff very friendly.The camp has tried to be greener with the planting of indigenous trees arond and this gives the cmp a greener look and very conducive environment clean and frsh air.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the TALEK RIVER are nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This camp delivered great comfort, excellent service and outstanding game drives! I only have minor remarks and non of them of the sort that harms the experience. I will gladly recommend the camp to everyone that wants to visit the Mara.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

As other reviewers have mentioned, the Masai Mara is a very special place. I have been on several safari's in South Africa while also visiting Etosha and the Okavango Delta. The game watching in the the Mara has been by far the best. However, the Tipilikwani experience does not measure up to other luxury safari experiences.

Arrival:
We had a very smooth arrival from the airport, but upon arrival at the camp, we were barely greeted by the camp staff. A woman at the front eventually came out to quickly go over camp guidelines. Fresh juice was offered then we were sent on our way. I was very unimpressed with the welcome.

Tents:
Average room. Bed was hard as a rock. Large bathroom. We had several problems with water going out and no hot water, but problems were attended to when we brought them to the camp's attention. Tents get warm during the day; a fan would be nice. Turn down service was appreciated as was the nightly guard as there was only a zipper on the tent.

Food:
There was very little food offered before morning game drives, but you could get tea and coffee. Lunch was 3 courses and a bit heavy for lunch. I left craving a nice salad. Dinner was 4 course. Food was average, but for my vegetarian travel partner, the options were basically the same everyday; everything was in a red sauce and served with rice. Wine is overpriced. We spent around $225 USD on drinks during a 5 day stay for 2 people. We had almost a beer a day and a couple bottles of wine. Breakfast was the same buffet everyday. There were no snacks offered before afternoon game drives.

Game watching:
This was the highlight of the stay. Our guide Dee did a great job finding the cats, but he didn't do a great job giving us much information about what we were looking at. We had to ask lots of questions to gather information. At times, he was quite disengaged from the drive and the game watching experience. We saw all of the big 5 except the rhino. No sundowners offered on the drive and it was often a race to get back to camp before 6:30.

Service:
I was very unimpressed with the front desk service and warmness. This is the face of the lodge and I expected more. Housekeeping and bar staff were the friendliest.

I have experience luxury safari's and this camp didn't even come close. This camp is expensive, but I recommend spending a little extra money to have a great game watching experience and a warm place to spend your afternoon and evenings-some where other than this camp.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Tipilikwani mara camp was a truly memorable experience. The tented rooms are very spacious and very elegant with a true african authentic feel. The male chefs and waiters were very warm and friendly and the food was excellent. However, the ladies at the reception were snobbish and unfriendly and thats why i cant rate the camp as 5 star.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

There are three camps in Kenya owned by the same company, and Tipilikwani is one of them. As with Elephant Bedroom Camp, the tents are large with very comfortable beds. The bathrooms are also very roomy, and there is plenty of hot water for a shower. You can also charge your phone, iPad, etc. right in your room. The hot water bottle to warm up the bed on a cool evening is very nice. Service is wonderful. My bed was turned down when I returned from my game drive, and the hot water bottle was in my bed when I returned from dinner. The food was wonderful. I never thought I would experience a weight gain while on safari, but varied breakfast offerings, three course lunches and the dinners as well were hard to resist. With menu items as varied as caprese salad to velvet chocolate mousse with raspberry glace, there were definitely many tempting selections at each meal. One day I asked the chef if he could prepare a "typically" Kenyan item for me that evening, and he supplied a delicious side that was not a listed menu option. On a Friday evening, a surprise treat was entertainment provided by some of the local Maasai men. They danced and jumped much to my delight. In fact, George and the chef, who are also Maasai, ended up joining in as did two children who were guests at dinner.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Tipilikwani Masai Mara Camp? Share your experiences!