“Kichwa Tembo Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp
Save Saved
You added andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp to your Saves list
C12 Keekorok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
San Antonio, TX, United States
“Kichwa Tembo Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I have never said, "Wow!" as many times as I did at the Kichwa Yembo Tented Camp. From the initial crossing from the small airport to the tented camp on the edge of a lush bushy area, we saw 30+ species of animals and birds with the help of a guide. The excitement never let up from that point on. We were there from Sunday, July 27- Tuesday, July 29 (2.5 days), and filled the short stay with many wows. We were greeted with drinks and warm welcomes. The hostess introduced us to our guide and answered all of our questions. This availability and friendly atmosphere continued with all staff members throughout the stay.

The view overlooking the Masai Mara and beyond the pool was spectacular, with giraffe, warthogs, zebra, and beautiful trees and grasslands. The facilities and tented bungalows replaced the previous facilities with contemporary African fabrics and accessories that were definitely not typical of a tented camp, but a luxurious resort.

The service was friendly and responsive. Our guide, Sophy, a tall, Masai woman, was extraordinary and stunned the male guides when she found the leopard so quickly and expertly. Her expertise and love of the land, animals, birds, and other creatures was an inspiration. Her knowledge of the habits and her conservation of the beauty of the land and living things was clear from the very beginning. She also explained how she broke tradition as a woman guide. We saw four of the five "Big Ones" in the first day. The second day we viewed the Great Migration of the wildebeest! This was an experience beyond compare. We stopped on the top of a hill next to a solitary tree and had breakfast. The wildebeest surrounded us on both sides as we gasped at the beauty of the Mara and its inhabitants. A truly spiritual experience beyond compare! Our safaris were early morning (6:45 and 7:30) and late afternoon (3:30 and 4:00). We were safe and comfortable in our two-ton vehicle as we explored the rough. Sophy made sure
we were comfortable, had comfort breaks, and provided snacks, water, coffee, tea and hot chocolate as needed. The vehicle had four tiers of seating that allowed everyone to see the panorama of the Mara.

The room was beautiful and well-decorated. My friend and I fell asleep to the melody of creatures (bush babies and monkeys) that softly lulled us to sleep. The shower and bathroom were my favorites! The waterfall shower was a relaxing experience as the water fell through the boarded floor into a collection pan.

The food prepared by a chef who greeted the visitors. The staff expertly presented what the fare for the meal included and were attentive and fun. The food included fruit, vegetables, meat, and dessert. (Having been on many Celebrity cruises, I would compare the food to a top luxury ship.

Room Tip: Bring binoculars and a great camera! All of the rooms had excellent views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I just finished 5 days and 4 nights at the breathtaking Kichwa Tembo resort in the Masai Mara region of Kenya. We were there from July 17-21, 2014. The trip was absolutely out of this world and I would recommend this hotel and destination to anyone looking to do safari in Kenya.

Tour operator: We booked our safari through an Irish company called Mahlatini Luxury Travel and they went above and beyond our expectations. As Canadians, we didn't know much about this company, but their customer service was second to none. Our booking agent was Claire and she was fabulous. She answered all of our questions as this was our first safari, and when she wasn't in the office, there was always another member of the Mahlatini team answering all of our questions prior to departure. We will definitely be using this company again for future vacations.

Resort: The Kichwa Tembo resort has just completed a massive renovation and the facility is truly spectacular. They only re-opened 3 weeks ago and everything looks amazing. We stayed in a lovely tent overlooking the Masai Mara plains and awoke each morning to a beautiful sunrise. They have an infinity pool overlooking the plains that you can relax by after you get back from your game drive and the grounds are spotless.

Staff: The Masai people that have been hired by &Beyond to work at Kichwa Tembo have been great hosts and are some of the most generous people I have ever met. I don't usually name drop, but I feel I have to make mention of a few individuals who made these last 5 days truly unforgettable.

Wilson (Ondari) was our safari guide and was incredible. His work ethic is amazing and put in extra long hours so we could see as much wildlife as possible. Whenever myself and the other guests had given up hope on finding a specific animal, he never gave up and that perseverance led us to find many animals that others groups were unable to find.
These are just a few of the animals we were able to see in late July: elephants, giraffes, cheetahs, leopards, hippopotamus, water buffalo, hyenas, jackals, zebras, wildebeests and countless others. On one day, we were able to see the Great Migration crossing the Masai River (wildebeests and zebras) on three different occasions, at three different locations. INCREDIBLE!!! This is just one of many examples on how Wilson went above and beyond as many guests don't get the opportunity to see a single crossing throughout there time here. I did hear from many other guests however that there guides were amazing as well, but Wilson truly made our time in Kenya simply amazing.

Yaleal was our personal butler and took care of our every need. The customer service was off the charts and he gave great insight to our group about the Masai culture and their many traditions throughout our many discussions around the dinner table.

Jackson was our caretaker and took care off all of our needs. John and Gibson led us on our walking safari (which I highly recommend) into the Masai Mara and were both very kind and knowledgable about the surrounding ecosystems and wildlife. Steven was our bartender and took care off all our needs when we needed to relax after a long days drive.

I couldn't finish this review without thanking our new Irish friends, Sean and Suzanne, whom we we fortunate enough to spend our amazing 4 days with. Thank you for letting us share in your amazing honeymoon experience as our vacation would have not been the same without your kindness and laughter. Best wishes to the both of you in the future and hopefully our paths will cross again on another amazing adventure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Leiden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

After a scenic flight in eagle territory and a brief stopover at Mara North Airport we arrived at the private Kichwa Tembo Airport. At about a mile from the strip, the brand new camp was remotely visible across the lush plains separating the two. Just during this initial brief encounter we were already able to spot the plentifull wildlife grazing these plains. This treat to antelope, buffalo, eland, giraffes, warthogs and zebra was followed by a twenty-minute scenic ride to the camp during which our wonderful first impression was topped by a close encounter with a herd of about twenty elephants.

Full of amazement we arrived at the recently rebuilt camp where we were welcomed warmly with a drink and cold towels by an extremely hospitable and friendly staff. After a brief checkin into this five star camp we were accompanied to our tents where once again our jaws dropped to the floor of the beautifully designed and decorated interior. A warm mix of modern and safari and an amazing view of the plains mention earlier from the bed-, bath- and restroom finished our marvelous first impression completely. Just amazing, and we had only been there one hour. After a little relaxing on the comfortable loungebed on the covered terrace we moved to the, once again beautifully designed and decorated, restaurant for a delicious lunch, including fresh vegetables from their own garden. This was followed by an afternoon nap by the poolside with again a beautifull view of the plains.

I could go on and on, but me and my well-traveled travel partner agreed on all the impressions we received. A beautifully designed, decorated and layed-out camp, hosted by a truly professional, hospitable and friendly staff, including the safari-guides, cooks, guards and groundsmen. For those in need to remain connected, wifi all-over and a media room with a big flatscreen. Upon inquiry this camp also proved to be children friendly. Brand new open safari-trucks also give you excellent views during the outings this camp is all about, a 21st century safari-experience still connected to it's roots!

We will return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I'm a travel writer who travels a lot. Mostly to amazing places and exceptional properties. Of all the places I've stayed at nothing has come close to andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp. I still think of our lovely room steward Nasiti who woke us for our game drive each morning with a silver pot of tea and biscuits, and placed hot water bottles placed at the foot of our bed and left handwritten notes at the evening turndown service. We saw the Big 5 within a day. Dined under the stars by a hippo pond. Had sundowners under an acacia tree at sunset. Took a walking safari and visited a Masai camp. My only hope of finding a trip to match Kichwa Tembo is with another &Beyond safari in Africa or India (so i better start planning). If you are even considering staying here - DO IT. if you'd like more details of my trip visit www.arrivalstravel.com

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I stayed at this property back in February. I was thoroughly impressed with the service right when we got off the plane, there were snacks and drinks awaiting us. We has Joseph (Kema) as our driver who has over a decade of experience as a guide. He made the trip for us. He knew where to find the animals and could tell that he such a love of the land when telling us about the animals, habitat, environment, etc. I would go back to Kichwa just to have Joseph as our driver again.

In terms of the actual lodge, I have no complaints, it was great. The food was great, they cater to your diet. One member of our group was a vegetarian and she had no complaints at all. I really don't have any complaints about the food - I was pleasantly surprised and I'm a foodie! The chef was classically trained so you will eat well here. My cabin had a tent as a ceiling, you may hear critters crawling on the roof at night but that is part of the experience. I enjoyed seeing the warthogs and babies freely roam the property. They also had a hippo in the creek. (Safety was not an issue as they have guards and fences around the sleeping areas). The service was great and just wanted to say thanks to the KIchwa Tembo team. Construction next door cut the power to our camp and we had to transfer to another camp. The team handled it well and you just have to be flexible whenever you travel because you never know what may happen. I actually enjoyed the cabins at the Bateleur camp even more (where we transferred for a night) and had a view of the animals in a distance from my deck. Hopefully when I come back, I can check out the newly renovated tent/cabins.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

My grandmother stayed here more than 20 times before her death. I went for the first time this year and can honestly say that it was one of the best experiences of my life. My guide, Robert, was amazing. My room steward, Nasiti, was perfect. My server, Charlie, taught me a bunch of Swahili when I told him I wanted to learn. You feel like family here. Not only that, but the density of wildlife on this region is out of control! For those of you searching for the big 5 experience, look no further. I saw the big 5 plus cheetah on a single game drive here. Lions every day. Male lions. Lions in trees. Lions everywhere. Hyena even came running through camp every night. This place is magical and I will be going back soon.

• Stayed May 2014
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Kichwa Tembo and Bachelor camp are amazing. Kichwa Tembo was being completely rebuild while we were there April 2014, and is set to open in June/July 2014. The accomodations were amazing. I never expected a room/tent to be so large and luxurious, and with a deck that looked out over the Mara where we were constantly seeing giraffe, zebra, warthogs, impala, and countless other animals wander past. Our guide Timothy was unbelievable at finding animals and knowing when to sit tight so as to "experience a wonderful interruption" as he would say. The food at the camp was good. Our butler would wake us up each morning at 6am with coffee/tea and we would meet at 630am for our game drive. We had breakfast each morning out on the plains of the Mara and would return around 11am or noon to get ready for lunch. Afternoons were spent napping or reading books, etc. Afternoon game drives began at 4/430pm and lasted until 630/7pm. Dinner was served either immediately after we returned or we could freshen up first - whatever our choice. The staff really is very accommodating and very friendly. I will absolutly return! It was a truly an amazing place.

We booked through Go2Africa.com which is a reputable company that has been around for many years, based out of Cape Town. We stayed at 3 andBeyond camps and will definitely only stay at andBeyond camps in the future.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms. All rooms face the river or the Mara, and each will have...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp? Share your experiences!