I have never said, "Wow!" as many times as I did at the Kichwa Yembo Tented Camp. From the initial crossing from the small airport to the tented camp on the edge of a lush bushy area, we saw 30+ species of animals and birds with the help of a guide. The excitement never let up from that point on. We were there from Sunday, July 27- Tuesday, July 29 (2.5 days), and filled the short stay with many wows. We were greeted with drinks and warm welcomes. The hostess introduced us to our guide and answered all of our questions. This availability and friendly atmosphere continued with all staff members throughout the stay.
The view overlooking the Masai Mara and beyond the pool was spectacular, with giraffe, warthogs, zebra, and beautiful trees and grasslands. The facilities and tented bungalows replaced the previous facilities with contemporary African fabrics and accessories that were definitely not typical of a tented camp, but a luxurious resort.
The service was friendly and responsive. Our guide, Sophy, a tall, Masai woman, was extraordinary and stunned the male guides when she found the leopard so quickly and expertly. Her expertise and love of the land, animals, birds, and other creatures was an inspiration. Her knowledge of the habits and her conservation of the beauty of the land and living things was clear from the very beginning. She also explained how she broke tradition as a woman guide. We saw four of the five "Big Ones" in the first day. The second day we viewed the Great Migration of the wildebeest! This was an experience beyond compare. We stopped on the top of a hill next to a solitary tree and had breakfast. The wildebeest surrounded us on both sides as we gasped at the beauty of the Mara and its inhabitants. A truly spiritual experience beyond compare! Our safaris were early morning (6:45 and 7:30) and late afternoon (3:30 and 4:00). We were safe and comfortable in our two-ton vehicle as we explored the rough. Sophy made sure
we were comfortable, had comfort breaks, and provided snacks, water, coffee, tea and hot chocolate as needed. The vehicle had four tiers of seating that allowed everyone to see the panorama of the Mara.
The room was beautiful and well-decorated. My friend and I fell asleep to the melody of creatures (bush babies and monkeys) that softly lulled us to sleep. The shower and bathroom were my favorites! The waterfall shower was a relaxing experience as the water fell through the boarded floor into a collection pan.
The food prepared by a chef who greeted the visitors. The staff expertly presented what the fare for the meal included and were attentive and fun. The food included fruit, vegetables, meat, and dessert. (Having been on many Celebrity cruises, I would compare the food to a top luxury ship.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- AndBeyond Kichwa Tembo Masai Mara Tented Camp is set on a private wilderness concession leased from Maasai landlords in the legendary Masai Mara. Situated where forest and savanna meet, these elegant, spacious safari tents boast some of the most magnificent views of the Masai Mara, especially from the large swimming pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kichwa Tembo Tented Safari Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- AndBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve