“Totally revamped five star camp. A must in the Mara.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp
Save Saved
You added andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp to your Saves list
C12 Keekorok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Leiden, The Netherlands
“Totally revamped five star camp. A must in the Mara.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

After a scenic flight in eagle territory and a brief stopover at Mara North Airport we arrived at the private Kichwa Tembo Airport. At about a mile from the strip, the brand new camp was remotely visible across the lush plains separating the two. Just during this initial brief encounter we were already able to spot the plentifull wildlife grazing these plains. This treat to antelope, buffalo, eland, giraffes, warthogs and zebra was followed by a twenty-minute scenic ride to the camp during which our wonderful first impression was topped by a close encounter with a herd of about twenty elephants.

Full of amazement we arrived at the recently rebuilt camp where we were welcomed warmly with a drink and cold towels by an extremely hospitable and friendly staff. After a brief checkin into this five star camp we were accompanied to our tents where once again our jaws dropped to the floor of the beautifully designed and decorated interior. A warm mix of modern and safari and an amazing view of the plains mention earlier from the bed-, bath- and restroom finished our marvelous first impression completely. Just amazing, and we had only been there one hour. After a little relaxing on the comfortable loungebed on the covered terrace we moved to the, once again beautifully designed and decorated, restaurant for a delicious lunch, including fresh vegetables from their own garden. This was followed by an afternoon nap by the poolside with again a beautifull view of the plains.

I could go on and on, but me and my well-traveled travel partner agreed on all the impressions we received. A beautifully designed, decorated and layed-out camp, hosted by a truly professional, hospitable and friendly staff, including the safari-guides, cooks, guards and groundsmen. For those in need to remain connected, wifi all-over and a media room with a big flatscreen. Upon inquiry this camp also proved to be children friendly. Brand new open safari-trucks also give you excellent views during the outings this camp is all about, a 21st century safari-experience still connected to it's roots!

We will return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I'm a travel writer who travels a lot. Mostly to amazing places and exceptional properties. Of all the places I've stayed at nothing has come close to andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp. I still think of our lovely room steward Nasiti who woke us for our game drive each morning with a silver pot of tea and biscuits, and placed hot water bottles placed at the foot of our bed and left handwritten notes at the evening turndown service. We saw the Big 5 within a day. Dined under the stars by a hippo pond. Had sundowners under an acacia tree at sunset. Took a walking safari and visited a Masai camp. My only hope of finding a trip to match Kichwa Tembo is with another &Beyond safari in Africa or India (so i better start planning). If you are even considering staying here - DO IT. if you'd like more details of my trip visit www.arrivalstravel.com

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I stayed at this property back in February. I was thoroughly impressed with the service right when we got off the plane, there were snacks and drinks awaiting us. We has Joseph (Kema) as our driver who has over a decade of experience as a guide. He made the trip for us. He knew where to find the animals and could tell that he such a love of the land when telling us about the animals, habitat, environment, etc. I would go back to Kichwa just to have Joseph as our driver again.

In terms of the actual lodge, I have no complaints, it was great. The food was great, they cater to your diet. One member of our group was a vegetarian and she had no complaints at all. I really don't have any complaints about the food - I was pleasantly surprised and I'm a foodie! The chef was classically trained so you will eat well here. My cabin had a tent as a ceiling, you may hear critters crawling on the roof at night but that is part of the experience. I enjoyed seeing the warthogs and babies freely roam the property. They also had a hippo in the creek. (Safety was not an issue as they have guards and fences around the sleeping areas). The service was great and just wanted to say thanks to the KIchwa Tembo team. Construction next door cut the power to our camp and we had to transfer to another camp. The team handled it well and you just have to be flexible whenever you travel because you never know what may happen. I actually enjoyed the cabins at the Bateleur camp even more (where we transferred for a night) and had a view of the animals in a distance from my deck. Hopefully when I come back, I can check out the newly renovated tent/cabins.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

My grandmother stayed here more than 20 times before her death. I went for the first time this year and can honestly say that it was one of the best experiences of my life. My guide, Robert, was amazing. My room steward, Nasiti, was perfect. My server, Charlie, taught me a bunch of Swahili when I told him I wanted to learn. You feel like family here. Not only that, but the density of wildlife on this region is out of control! For those of you searching for the big 5 experience, look no further. I saw the big 5 plus cheetah on a single game drive here. Lions every day. Male lions. Lions in trees. Lions everywhere. Hyena even came running through camp every night. This place is magical and I will be going back soon.

• Stayed May 2014
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Kichwa Tembo and Bachelor camp are amazing. Kichwa Tembo was being completely rebuild while we were there April 2014, and is set to open in June/July 2014. The accomodations were amazing. I never expected a room/tent to be so large and luxurious, and with a deck that looked out over the Mara where we were constantly seeing giraffe, zebra, warthogs, impala, and countless other animals wander past. Our guide Timothy was unbelievable at finding animals and knowing when to sit tight so as to "experience a wonderful interruption" as he would say. The food at the camp was good. Our butler would wake us up each morning at 6am with coffee/tea and we would meet at 630am for our game drive. We had breakfast each morning out on the plains of the Mara and would return around 11am or noon to get ready for lunch. Afternoons were spent napping or reading books, etc. Afternoon game drives began at 4/430pm and lasted until 630/7pm. Dinner was served either immediately after we returned or we could freshen up first - whatever our choice. The staff really is very accommodating and very friendly. I will absolutly return! It was a truly an amazing place.

We booked through Go2Africa.com which is a reputable company that has been around for many years, based out of Cape Town. We stayed at 3 andBeyond camps and will definitely only stay at andBeyond camps in the future.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms. All rooms face the river or the Mara, and each will have...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Having lived in Zambia for several years, frequently visiting South Luangwa National Park, this was my first trip to the Maasai Mara and while the knowledge and friendliness of the guides was not quite up to Zambian standards, the overall level of service was very good. The location is excellent, being just outside the reserve boundary but so close you'd never know the difference. Unless you're lucky enough to get one of the nearest tents the walk to the room can seem a little long, especially when it's raining, and the food choice was somewhat limited, but overall I would recommend it and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I visited the Mara as part of an Incentive group from Tata India .The event was organized by the incentives coordinate Jomandie Dempers from andbeyond. I had three most amazing days. We ballooned, breakfast, lunched, dinner under the stars, it was unforgettable. The arrangements were state of the art. The hospitality was heart melting. The complete experience was like a dream come true. One cannot ask for more from this. The incentive coordinators Jomandie and Magdelle were like magicians. You ask anything and they pulled it from their magic hat. They were always approachable 24x7. Every detail was well sorted. Be it wine , dine or game drives. I strongly recommend Jomandie Dempers for any safari experiences. I am trying to engage them in a safari in India too and recommended to many corporate event organizers. One of the best experience of my life.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp? Share your experiences!