“I love this place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp
You added andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp to your Saves list
C12 Keekorok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
bucks
“I love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We booked this safari using Julius at www.julius-safaris.com has office in Diani Beach area 3rd time of using and he has never disappointed us.You pay deposit and the rest on return from trip that is honesty for you.
Kichwa Tembo tented camp is the most amazing experience ever,we were picked up by Sammi our driver for our stay and what a lovely,funny and knowledgable man he tried to make sure we see all the big 5 and much more and such a brilliant sense of humour.On arrival at the camp we were greeted by Esther this lady never seems to stop working to make your stay an enjoyable one,Henry was our tent butler he kept it immaculately clean and tidy and was there with our tea and coffee early morning wake up every day,Thorne was our main waiter and would run around tireless for anything we wanted,Chef John well what can i say fine dining is an understatement it was cooked fresh it was so tasty ,and when my son ask if there was any of the pudding left from day before and there wasnt ,the following day he had made him one specially,i can honestly say say that i enjoy everymeal there,this was a trip to celebrate my 60th birthday and my sons 40th and on our last evening the amazing Esther surprised us with a petal cover table and masai warriors came out chanting with a cake for us i was in tears that someone had gone to that trouble,there is work going on at moment they are upgrading some of the tents but the noise was minimal and caused no problem to us at all,So from me and my family to my family at Kichwa thank you so much for the most amazing birthday.I didnt want to leave

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Had the pleasure of staying at Kichwa Tembo at the start of Feb 2014.
It was perfect, from start to end. Firstly, our guide Sammie was fabulous. Very knowledgeable, funny and personable. We were lucky enough to pretty much have him to ourselves the whole time we were there. Nothing was too much trouble for him and he is a wonderful asset to the company. We were very lucky to see so much, it was a real privilege to see the animals in their natural habitat. The tent was great, very comfy bed, and shower and loo facilities. We were placed on the left side of camp, with the small river running behind. It was fabulous to lie in bed at night and listen to the hippos and lions. The small touches, like notes on our bed and the hot water bottles left by Henry, our room butler, were lovely. The food prepared by Chef Jon and Owen, fresh, each day was wonderful and I would highly recommend you indulge. The food was plentiful and we were very well looked after by our waiter, Thorne, the whole time. The camp manager is a lovely lady called Esther. She went out of her way, at all times, to make us feel like we had just returned home and that we were comfortable and spoilt. Overall, a wonderful experience. Asante Sana.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

My wife and I recently visited the Masi Mara and this was our forst experience in Africa and with tenting. The accommodation was good and the food reasonable. THe location of the lodge within the reserve is excellent and you are up front and personal with all the animals. THe staff were excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Safwa, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I am a returning guest to KT, I understand that they are currently going through a total renovation for the whole camp, so my review will be as per the other things I've seen and which I liked even better than the first time I was there which was in August 2012. The staff is just super super friendly without any exception, "welcoming you home" is the first thing you will get, a nice gesture! Although I was so reluctant to visit during this time of the year being low season and all, but just don't be fooled, business in the wild is as usual!! except you don't get to see wildebeests all over, which is even better, you get to see predators searching for food all the time, we saw just right in front of the camp two lionesses attempting to hunt three time in one game drive, we didn't even need to go inside the reserve, just hang around the camp on the first game drive, just so many game and animals like you can never imagine, specially if you are there for the first time!

Now, again that I know this is a temporary main area for the camp, it was still very nice, one of the managers there, James even took me in a small tour around the new camp while its being built, showed me what is going and it all seemed to even get better by the time they open the new place in June/July 2014.

Kipiko (or James), our guide was super wonderful, and I am saying while I've been with tens of other guides in many previous game drives in both South Africa and Kenya! All I wanted was a guide who really loved what he was doing and so knowledgeable and not someone who would make you feel he's bored and only doing it for the money, James was the one, really loved being out there with him and how keen he was tracking animals.

KT would surely be one of first choice while I am planning to go back again during the migration season.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Rockville, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I recently stayed for 2 nights with my husband and other friends and family members. I have to say I have mixed feelings about Kichwa Tembo. I was a bit sad to find out the pool was closed for renovation.

First the positive things:
I loved the tents and overall ambiance of the place. This makes for an authentic experience at the Masai Mara.
The night drives and guides and vehicles were absolutely amazing.
The room attendant was very helpful and had very nice touches added every evening.

What I liked less:
The bossy attitude of some of the reception staff and massage lady.
The lack of variety in the meals, especially for myself as a vegetarian. I ate the same food both evenings.
The way our wonderful driver guides are treated here, as if they are not important and welcome.

I would consider staying here again due to the ambiance and tents and for the possibility of going on an evening safari as this is one of the only places where it can be done.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Torquay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Kichwa Tembo is a wonderful place with comfortable tents, attentive staff, wonderful meals and a swimming pool which is refreshing after being out on safari. We saw loads of animals (including pygmy rhinos) and the driver |(Luke) was very knowledgable. We met some lovely truck and camp mates, the two laides from Michigan - please get in touch, Pat and Enrique. We did laugh a lot. We arranged this trip from the Diani beach area through Julius safaris (as we have done previously), as he recommended it and we were not disappointed. In fact we are going in February 2014 and intend to use Julius and Kichwa Tembo again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Highland, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Kichwa Tembo is a delightful property in the Mara of Kenya. A short flight from Wilson Airport in Nairobi. The tented camp has well appointed "tents" with hardwood floors, hit water, and flush toilets. Comfortable beds. I loved the hot water bottles for warm they tucked into the covers each night. Meals are great. Safari experience is top notch. I have stayed at Kichwa twice and both times were excellent. The cost is competitive. Bateuler camp is high end and for those who need extra room and full service. Pool on property was refreshing. The walking tour was worthwhile and a way to observe nature in more detail. It is best to stay more than one night; good chance to see lion, cheetah, rhino, and many other animals. Leopards are elusive but can be seen rarely. Watch out for the monkeys that wait for careless visitors to leave their tents unsecured :).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp? Share your experiences!