“Awesome!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp
Save Saved
You added andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp to your Saves list
C12 Keekorok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Safwa, Saudi Arabia
“Awesome!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I would really love it title my review as "Perfect" but will let you know it wasn't for the few issues I encountered! I am not usually a demanding or complaining person. I was out on my safari for almost the whole day (6:30 a.m - 6:30 p.m) , so most of the specifics about the camp itself didn't really matter much to me, but everything was alright.

I just "slightly" hated the fact (honestly knew about this prior to my stay) that you don't have electricity outlets in your tent if you are staying in the standard ones. You get these if you are paying extra for your luxury tent. So, at the evening time when people star coming from their safaris, you would find them literally racing for a spot to charge their electronics in the bar. They provide what I think is enough outlets over there but it is still annoying as I experienced it myself. I had to come to the bar with my extension and drag all my stuff that needed to be charged (two phones, two camera, laptop). I found that I had to stay in the bar longer than needed. I could've just done all that on my bed. I would appreciate if that can be looked into by Andbeyond as I don't see this as something you really need to pay extra money for! Electricty outlets in all tents, simple!

The other little thing which I know the camp can't do much about, I've been into many other game drives in other countries and been into many roads but I just find the road between the camp and the masai mara reserve too pumpy for me, maybe also because I was carrying many photographic equipments with me that I had to make sure they stay put all the time. It is a 15 minutes drive (twice or four times aday - Depending if you choose to do one game drive for the whole day or prefer two game drives for the morning and afternoon) , you just need to tolerate or be annoyed with this matter.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the stay, I was there during the migration season which I witnessed more than enough of it, the whole safari experience was wonderful to me. My guide Wilson was much of a help, he made sure to always try his best whenever needed,

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a tent that is closer to the Camp's main area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

253 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

When booking our holiday to Kenya we just knew we would stay a few days in Mombasa and that we wanted to go to the Masai Mara. Following reviews on Tripadvisor we contacted Julius Safaris (http://www.julius-safaris.com) without looking any further. We don't regret it!
Julius booked us at Kichwa Tembo for 2 nights (28-29 Aug) and the place was simply breathtaking.I cannot thank Julius for his incredible vision when choosing the camp he thought would be just perfect for us.
Kichwa Tembo brought me and my husband some of our lives best memories. We shared our vehicle with fun and interesting people, we laughed a lot and became good friends. Our guide, Sammy was simply the best ever. We did a night safari and a walking safari which were incredible and have no extra cost (but please tip your guides).
It was so sad to say goodbye to this fabulous place. We will definitely be back in Kenya.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in August 2012 and thoughroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, the complimentary night safari (in which we caught so many animals in action at night, including a leopard playing with her prey) and the friendliness of staffs. The accomodation, although not exactly a Hilton standard, is adequate with hot shower and morning wake-up coffer. An area of improvement would be to have power outlets in our own room for charging telephone or camera instead of having to go the bar to do this. In addition, the person who brings morning coffee should not enter the tent without permission but instead should leave the coffee outside the tent as this can be quite intrusive. If we were to go back to Maasai Mara again, we will probably try a different place such as the Governor's Camp which also operates an amazing hot air balloon operation which we also tried.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Accommodations were comfortable. Our butler, Ranson was fantastic. Our waiter, Mike was very attentive. My husband got sick and the entire staff was very concerned and even sent a Doctor to see him. Ranson was checking on him regularly while the rest of our party went on a game drive. Our guide, Elly was the best. He is so knowledgable and respectful of the animals which we did not find with all guides. Strongly recommend &Beyond. This company took care of our party from the time we got off the plane in Nairobi until we left.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
keizer, oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I'd like to echo what Pilone 11 said. My family (wife, son 24 who's a Peace Corps volunteer in Kenya and 28 year old daughter) stayed here at the end of July 2012 and early August. we had an incredible time. I'm 62 and we've been lots of places in the world. If I could only make one more trip in my life I would return here. From the booking of our reservation to the moment we departed it was like a Disney experience in terms of guest service, wow factor and magic. the staff were in every way exceptional, the accomodations were comfortable, the guide (Joseph) was fantastic. I have stage IV cancer and he went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable at moment and attentive to each of our individual wishes. We had magical viewings of zebras crossing the Mara river with crocodiles just waiting for lunch, twin brother cheetahs, hippos, 2 lionesses training their cubs on a buffalo kill, incredible vistas. I could go on and on. this experience was worth every penny. even my son who's been living in a fairly remote area of Kenya was impressed. I especially want to thank Carole who helped us with our reservation and internet difficulties of time and banking. this was the trip of a lifetime. we took over 2,000 pictures and we're still sorting them out. the food was delicious and the chef even accomodated the needs of my wife who prefers a gluten free diet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

I visited Kichwa Tembo April&May 2012 with my three kids, aged 7,6 and 2. Best time of our lives. We became part of the aftican bush, butterfly hunting, bow shooting, lion tracking and soul searching. Would highly recommend to any one.

• Stayed May 2012
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have been doing safaris in africa since 32 years and been several times to szavo, amboseli, serengeti, ngoro ngoro, lake manyara and kruger park.

We stayed 8 nights at kitchwa.

Mara river crossing
We especially came here for the sensational river crossing of the migration only at this time and place in the world. Unfortunately, the promise by rosalin that private game drives could be offered was not kept by the kitchwa tembo lodge as they claimed all cars were full. If you want to make sure to see the crossing, better book exclusive games drives, because if you share a car with other guests they might be more interested in other things and you will not get to see the real drama and impressive crossing of masses of wildebeest and zebras.
We were dissappointed of the short time we spend at the river during 8 days.

Normal game drives
Are good in this area. The animals are plenty. We saw the big five and cheetahs all with babies except for the rhino, which was a single big male and the leopards who were mating. Our driver first was willy who likes more to show normal game drives than river crossings. we then changed to albert who was more customer oriented friendly and enthusiastic about his work.

the lodge
Food is plenty and nice.
The tents are romantic and gave us the feeling of hemingway times whereas they are not clean. We found a used sock of a previous guest under the study desk and coins and dirt around the room. for our taste a little bit dirty the standard here.

The lodges we have stayed in kruger, ngoro ngoro and serengeti were clearly more luxoury, cleaner, better organised and had a wider variety of food and special pancake baking breakfasts in the bush as well as bbq lunches in the bush where several cars met. Kitchwa does not include this. Kitchwa is also significantly more expensive than the lodges we visited before, lower value for money.

if you have questions, best contact the manager edward or joseph who is the organiser of the game drivers.

we heard that the Serena close to the river crossing is a far better hotel.

Room Tip: we stayed in tent 6, not a clean one but close to the restaurant and with a nice view over the garde...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp? Share your experiences!