We have stayed at main Governors 4 times nad have just returned from our 3rd stay at Little Governors. After over 10 years of visits we still come home with memories to last a life time, incredible photos and we long to return as soon as possible.
The game is amazing, the big five at your doorstep (and often in camp) and everything else you would want to see. The food is good, not amazing, but you have to remember where you are and you will not be disappointed by it.
The tents are great, comfy beds, hot showers, loo and great views. No electricity, only gas lamps at night but some tents are now getting electric lights (unfortunately).
George, the manager of the camp is great. Makes you welcome, regales you with great stories and ensures your stay is the best it can be.
Not a relaxing holiday: woken at 6am by your tent boy with tea, coffee or hot chocolate and biscuits. Escorted to the river by a guard (remember there are no fences to keep the beasts out. Across the river and into you Land Rover or Land Cruiser by 6.30. Viewing until 9.30 ish then back for breakfast. Just enought time for a quick wash and brush up before out again at 10.30 until 12.30ish. Back for lunch and time for a shower, nap etc before out again at 3.30 until night fall (6.30ish). Drinks around the camp fire until dinner at 8.00. There is no entertainment, just a bar to meet and chat with fellow guests. We were in bed by 10.00 every night.
- Ask for tent 17 on the end
- Get sole vehicle (expensive but worth it)
- Take breakfast picnic out with you
- Go for a sun downer
- You must go on a walking safari
- Take the best camera you can get you hands on and the biggest lens.
- Take good binoculars
- Take warm clothes for the morning.
- Not suitable for kids
- Would advise against if you suffer from bad back.
- No fences so buffalos, elephants etc around tents at night (there are guards)
- Remember you will be bouncing around in the back of a 4x4 for up to 8 hours a day
- You may not see any game for hours on end
- You have to cross a small river every time you enter the camp
- Would stay away during wet season
In summary - you will never forget this holiday!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.