“Breathtaking” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Little Governors' Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Little Governors' Camp
C14 Keekorok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
british isles
“Breathtaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked our stay at Little Governors' through Julius at JT Safaris who recommended we stay there and oh boy were we not disapointed. This place can only be described as pure paradice. We saw so many beautiful animals and ate so much wonderful food its hard to know where to start. The tents are gorgeous, better than many five star hotels I have visited. You get to eat your food al fresco with all the wonders of the natural world walking around you. We were lucky enough to have a bull elephant right outside our tent (obviously it was not dangerous as the night guards had the whole thing well and truly covered). I felt 110% safe all of the time. The guides were fantastic and so were the Camp's staff. We went on a balloon ride, again organised by Julius, which was mind blowing.

I would actually pick this place as my dream wedding location, if only it was a bit closer!!!! If you are reading this and going, consider yourself extremly lucky. I would return here at the drop of a hat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed for a three night stay at Little Governors at the end of June 2013. The camp is amazingly well-run yet relaxed and comfortable, staff were without exception attentive, kind and helpful as well as knowledgeable. Food is excellent and healthy, and much better than expected given the location. Our driver-guide Jackson looked after us splendidly and with great professionalism and patience and seemed to be able to magic up remarkable sights non-stop. The location of the camp is superb - supremely peaceful and lush, and even just watching the goings-on of warthogs, birds, buffalo, and hippo in the water immediately outside our tent was fascinating - yet alone the abundant wildlife on the drives. Crossing the river to reach the camp just adds to the fun, even in the torrential rain! The drives must have been tiring for our guide - this is certainly not a relax-and-do-nothing holiday - but totally refreshing. My husband, who grew up in Kenya, reckoned it was the best camp he has stayed in - for me it was a first and I hope not a last.

Room Tip: All the tents are nice, but we liked being a greater distance from the main areas, in the higher num...
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

this was my third visit to Little Governors , Total 27 nights :)
I spent 7 wonderful nights at Little Governors this June, I booked for the first time on internet with Julius Safari & he did a wonderful job & even phoned me twice to see was everything ok,
George the Manager is a great guy & will do everthing to make your safari a great one,
The Staff are just awesome I cant praise them all enough, Ducan my waiter , Charles my tent guy ,Felix & Theresa at recpetion, David guard & bird man I got great photos in camp of Kingfishers thanks to David eagle eyes, And my guide & ( friend) Sammy he is just amazing, seen everthing i wanted to total @ 80 different lions, leopards cheetah rhino , Food unbelieveable , tents are so compfy , My honest opinion I could not fault Little Governors one bit or Julius Safari & I will be back again next year , its a pity I have so long to wait ,
Thanks Little Governors for another great safari , miss u all lots ,
Any one have a question I will be happy to answer truthfully ,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London - UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

It's very rare that my wife and I ever promise to return somewhere but this place is beyond amazing and by far exceeded our expectations.

The local is superb amazing views and the elephant which comes through the camp is hilariously great. We stayed in tent 17 on the far end which I think is the best one as you are right by the end of the camp and the view of the watering hole is great. The local elephant came right by our tent and we couldn't get back in one of the nights because it was roaming which was hilariously great.

The tents themselves can't be called tents as that makes them sound basic and given the location these things are not basic. 6am hot chocolate delivered to the tent, turn down during dinner with a hot water bottle and the general service made these feel amazing. Noise at night could be disconcerting for nervous people but then why come all this way to stay in an open lodge if you think that.. I found is soothing and was way too knackered from the drives that I could have slept through the elephant in our tent:)

Food is fantastic, well presented and tasty and definately better than expected. Julius served us the entire time and he was great. Infact all of the staff are amazing and friendly.

Game drives are great. You get 3 a day starting at 06:30 then back for breakfast then back out for 10:30 and back for 12:30 and then 3:30pm after lunch till 6:30pm dinner for 8pm. you can opt to have breakfast taken out for you to combine the first two drives and eat breakfast in the wild which I would recommend as it's far nicer and you can go further. We had Frederik (not sure of spelling) and he was immensly knowledgable and a great character. You go zooming off all over the place and they all have mobiles they phone each other on with things they've found so one minute your somewhere and the next he gets a call and your somewhere else. He really made our stay. We say 8 of the big 9 minus the Rhino but you get really close to the animals and we even had a Cheetah on our jeep - I'd love to say I didn't look scared but I think I did the manly thing well!!

One big plus is they have these open jeeps which are great for the views and the sun and make looking around a lot nicer. Some of the other camps seemed to have these weird camper van things which a roof that lifted so you had to stand up the entire time and the roof stayed on top so you were shaded - if we had or had one of those we would have definately complained they looked awful! Ours was nice and open and free which was a huge plus.

I think we'd expected as this is somewhere so remote it would be basic and I still think I can't believe it was such an amazing experience... We're definately going back and will definately be staying here.

So if you've got through my gushing love for this place then well done! in short amazing views, great location, superb staff and great food... all in all a wonderful experience...

Damn it I've clicked on ratings for swimming pool and fitness centre... it doesn't have these but I can't unclick it.... to be fair though I wouldn't swim in an open lodge I'd get eaten :)

Room Tip: tents 12 and up with 17 being the best. If your more the scared type then lower numbers are nearer m...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were to spend 5 nights at Little Governors and from the moment we landed from Loldia by plane, our feet never touched the ground. Julius, our driver, greeted us from the plane and said we were off on safari ! My wife and I had never been before and what an introduction!

We were treated to lions, zebras, giraffes and elephants and I really felt like I was in a BBC documentary!

Julius is a great guide and has worked there 10 years so knows all the nooks and crannies of the Mara, as Im sure all the drivers do.

At LG we were escorted to tent 17, which we requested having read other Tripadvisor reports. To be fair all the tents are of an exceptional standard – it really depends on a) how far you’re prepared to walk and b) do you want peace and quiet as some are quite close to the restaurant and bar areas. But that does have its advantage especially when the animals walk through the camp, at least you’re nearby to see them.

I had a trap camera so was able to record what passed by our tent at night. You hear many sounds, which I did find rather therapeutic tbh except the trumpeting elephant at 4.00am! That woke me up bolt upright! Anyway, walking passed our tent most nights were munching hippos, the odd buffalo, a marsh mongoose and a leopard !

The rangers are always on hand and we never once felt unsafe, even when we saw two lion cubs in the field to the left of our tent.

Every morning your room person brings you tea/coffee/hot chocolate before brekkie

So, you have a view overlooking the waterhole and the roosting herons, egrets etc and in the evening you must shine your torch to get escorted to the restaurant/bar area. Joseph is usually there to give you one of his beaming smiles and the food is excellent. Not once did we have an upset stomach which made for bouncing around in the jeeps during the day that much more enjoyable! And be prepared for that! Let’s put it this way, my wife wishes she had worn a sports bra. It adds to the feel of the place to be thrown around whilst trying to take your lens cap off! Also, take wet wipes as you do get very dusty on these trips and if taking your camera, your lens will get caked in dust so arm yourself with cleaning cloths.

George was the ultimate host, always popping out to greet you and ask how your day went.
I overheard some guests tell some newcomers how easy it would be for them to see all the animals they want, they’re right outside the camp. Um….no. It’s not a zoo and these are wild animals that can go where they like. So, don’t be disappointed if there is an animal or bird you don’t manage to see, there’s so much more that you will enjoy I promise you.

if you get safaried out, pls take a trip to a local Masai Village - its good to get to understand their culture more

We are already saving for the next trip and apart from getting married, being part of LG for just those 5 nights has been the most memorable moment of my life. Thankyou LG

Room Tip: if taking more than one camera, take a multi plug socket as only one socket in your tent. Ladies, y...
wigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

this was my second stay at main Governors and wont be my last . everything about the camp is so special , it was lovely to return and everyone remembered me from last year , Katie and Philip do an amazing job running the camp , the have a chat with every guest at dinner time which is so lovely. Richard & Ascah our waiters were lovely and looked after us so well . Jerimiha our tent boy was so kind and he looked after us the best anyone could . all the staff here are wonderful . Soloman our guide was amazing and we found all the big cat dairy cats I wanted , he was a super star :) we had 4 days out on safari , breakfast in the bush was the best and great fun . I was given a lovely bottle of wine to say thankyou for returning . I love it here , thankyou guys <3 ... I booked this threw Jt safaris from Mombasa he is the best to book with and cheapest too ... I hope to return at the end of the year

Room Tip: ive stayed in tent 31 and 32 , amazing
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Kigali, Rwanda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Color me a victim of habit, but Little Governors Camp has been my GO TO safari experience since 2007. Living in Nairobi has allowed me to become a regular there, getting to know the staff and region over the years. Year after year, the camp delivers outstanding services. Location is the KEY to this wonderful safari camp, with wildlife wandering through the site to visit the watering hole in front of your tent. Situated on the Mara river, the camp requires a fun crossing from car to camp. Safari drivers are uniquely knowledgable and willing to work with guests to "hunt" whatever game is desired.

Tip -- Governors has four camps located in the same region in the Masai Mara park. While all are lovely, Little Governors has something very special.

This year, we finally fulfilled a longstanding goal to experience Little Governors Camp hot air balloon ride. While far from free, consider putting this on your bucket list!! Thanks to Captain Markham we had an exceptional "magic carpet ride", citing a leopard in a tree!

Finally, no review can be complete without a thank you to Joseph, who is not only a waiter but proud Kenyan happy to share a bit of Kenyan hospitality with camp guests. Hats off to Joseph for years of reliable, friendly service. Asante!

Room Tip: Tents 12A and beyond (up to #17) are best, far from dining location and closer to the savannah.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Musiara, Manager at Little Governors' Camp, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your review of Little Governors Camp. We are delighted that you consider Little Governors as your go to safari camp and that you enjoyed the safari so much. We look forward to welcoming you back on safari with us again.

Been to Little Governors' Camp? Share your experiences!