“The number of animals we saw was amazing! Our guide Frederick was so knowledgable and had a fantasitc attitude!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Little Governors' Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Little Governors' Camp
You added Little Governors' Camp to your Saves list
C14 Keekorok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Excellent viewing of the animals and we saw the Big 5 plus others withing a few hours of arrival

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

A wonderful place. Fab food, service, game drives and accommodation. George the manager has an excellent will-do-anything attitude to make your stay as super as possible. I would recommend Little Governors Camp to anyone! And echo all of the positive things said by others. There's a reason this is 2nd of 70 on Trip Advisor. The wildlife in front of the camp is fab. And love the warthogs!

I keep my comments to suggestions and recommendations...

The steps down to, and up from, the river crossing are quite steep and my mother found them very hard work at 71yrs. Particularly because they must be negotiated 3 times a day for the game drives. No problem for those in good health (my mother has an ankle problem), but for others I'd say choose Governors Camp whcih does not require river crossing. I know if we'd asked we'd have been moved to Governor's had the accomm been available, but we didn't ask. My stubborn mother wanted to stay in LG anyway :)

The balloon ride is extremely expensive. We did this on the 3rd day, and saw little. The ride is anything between 45mins and 75mins. I don't think it's worth the charge of $385 per person. But if you are going to do it, I'd suggest do it on the first day, because if you've seen all the animals up very close on Safari already, you won't be blown away in the balloon at all. Others were luckier and saw rhino. Also, I am pretty sure the balloon company is separate to Governor's. So don't expect the same customer service from them as you'd get from LG if you make any complaint. The vehicle we were driven back in was dreadful. Stay well clear of the Landrover 101 which was absolute torture for 2.5hrs. Make sure you are 100% assured a decent car carrying as few people as possible - preferably 4 (as per the usual game drives with LG), before you book.

Stupidly perhaps, we never used the safe facilities offered. When we got to the camp, we both felt immediately safe and at ease with all the surroundings and the obvious high standards. I left money out, all of my photographic equipment and iPad, passport, docs etc. We just didn't feeel the safe was necessary and it wasn't. Of course, I don't recommend you do this. I am just saying how we felt about the staff and the accommodation.

Our driver was not great. Leonard. A lovely chap, but, monosyllabic responses were very disappointing and not really any talks about the environment unless prompted. We didn't realise that there were better guides until the day before we left, but I'd suggest if you're not impressed with the guide, vocalise it and ask for a change. We didn't but I have no doubt LG would have accommodated had we asked. So entirely our fault. Am just informing so future travellers know.

Fab fab fab!!! Go, you will not be disappointed.

By the way, if you are wondering where to go for beach hol, Diani Reef Beach Resort was super. See my review on that too if interested.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I had high expectations from what I had heard about the Camp being the best in the area by a friend who had stayed at several around Masai Mara, and I wasn't disappointed!!
The quality of the 'Tents' was very high, and the bathrooms could put a 5* Hotel to shame in some cities! The service & friendliness was of the highest standard. Guides, domestics and waiters were always so warm and helpful, & getting my tea in bed was something I would like every day!!
There were animals wandering through the Camp (mostly during the night!) including Lions, an elephant, & Warthogs. I couldn't believe how we were IN amongst the wildlife with so many animals only a short walk away!
I had an amazing time there and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone wishing to visit the area! I hope to go back there soon!!

Room Tip: There is nothing to choose between the tents.
  • Stayed June 2011
Mauritius
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience - way beyond my expectations! Our driver-guide's friendliness and knowledge made it even more so. The landscape was breathtaking, the food was excellent, the tent was gorgeous. We have only one thing in mind: come back with our children!!!

Room Tip: Our room was in the middle of the camp.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

Spent 3 days with the governors folks at the little governors camp.

First class all the way..Great service--great food.. Great honeymoon location..

Thanks to all!

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights and our only regret was not staying longer. We loved every single minute of our stay, food, drives, staff, tents were all amazing. Thank you James for organising a cake and Masai dancers for my friends 60th it was a fantastic experience. We did a Bush breakfast on our last morning and it really was the icing on the cake, eating breakfast with crocs and hippos was fantastic. We will have to return to this lovely little camp one day because it really did steal our hearts.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

I've been going to the Mara since 1983. There is not a better place in the world. In the past I have stayed at Keekorok Lodge--which is still my favorite lodge. Little Governor's is much different in what it offers. It is an unpretentious tented camp that sits in a quiet corner of the Mara. Breakfast and lunch overlooking the always active marsh, walking to the Mara river and taking a boat across to the game drive vehicles, great food, really good service... every moment is another "WOW!"That is just the start. One does not have to drive far to see the most amazing animals. Resident lion and cheetah families among elephant, zebras, gazelle etc. WIth it's own driving crew you know you are getting knowledgeable drivers that do not have to rely on the radio to find the next siting---often an occurrence with Nairobi based drivers and vans. The tents are good basic Safari tents with large bathroom area in the back. 5am wakeup calls with lanterns and hot tea start each magical day. After a few days we opted out of the middle of the day game drive as it was hot and limited viewing. it allowed us to enjoy the well shaded camp. We thought the guards walking us back and forth to the bar/dining tents were for show, until we came across a lone elephant walking through camp... You can not go wrong by spending a least a few days here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Little Governors' Camp? Share your experiences!