“Excellent Explorer.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mara Explorer Camp

You added Mara Explorer Camp to your Saves list
Mara Explorer Camp
5.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   C14 Keekorok - Talek River in the middle Masai Mara Reserve-, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sheffield
“Excellent Explorer.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

First time at this camp, stayed here 16/04/2015 for 3 nights (wish it had been longer). We transferred to Explorer from Mara Intrepids, which was a 2 minute drive. Maurice the camp manager and friend, was there to welcome us. He showed us around the reception area and explained all about the camp and how it was not fenced in like the other camps. Our bags were then taken to our tent, No 8, wow. It was brilliant overlooking the river Talek, with a pod of Hippo's just below our tent. The tent was spacious and had King size bed, toilet, shower, hand basins, wardrobe, desk, tea/coffee making facilities and just outside a bath which was screened so no one could see. Our tent was superbly cleaned by Samuel, who also brought us coffee and cookies with our early morning call. The meals were 5*, wonderfully cooked and presented by chefs Josephat and Shadrack. After dark when you wanted to come for dinner you had to radio (which was provided and explained at check in) the guard, Francis, who would come and collect you and take you back after. This was because there is no fence around the camp, although we never saw any animals in camp but heard plenty. Nelson was our waiter, what a lovely man. Nothing was too much trouble, friendly, always smiling, having a laugh with you but always professional in his job. Vincent from Mara Intrepids was still our driver/guide and never let us down, always looking for the animals you wanted to see and finding them. Chief came to the camp to take us out for a nature walk on our last day. You are driven a few kilometers into the Mara, and then you get out and walk with an armed ranger, Philip in our case and Chief who tells you all about the animals and the plants. We saw Giraffes, Eland and even a fresh Hyena burrow. We were out about 21/2 hours or more and I've got to say we loved every minute, Asante Sana Chief we'll never forget it. Our last night we had a bush dinner which was great and they still kept their food 5*. This camp is brilliant, the staff, the food and the tents. I highly recommend this camp and we will be coming back. If you do come to this camp I defy you to be disappointed with any of it. Oh its all inclusive as well, which was the icing on the cake.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Turkish first
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Absolutely fantastic service, food and game viewing. The best the Masai Mara has to offer. 40 minute flight from Nairobi. Explore air strip is just 5 minutes drive to the camp. Ala Carte menu at every meal and packed breakfast for morning game drives. Surprise bush dinner barbecue was a highlight. Watch Hippos from your room and from the dining area deck overlooking the Talek river. A very very special place for a special occasion .

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

An absolute amazing place with first class service........ a big thank you to the entire staff, Pauline, Joseph, Noor, Simon and the entire team you were all great and made our stay at explorer even more enjoyably! An experience we will never forget!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A Must Visit is what I can start with.. My wife and I joined with our closest friends spent 2 nights at this amazing place and had an amazing time. Small and intimate is the set up. Rooms overlooking the river give you the best sleep. But what sets this camp from the rest is the service. Food outstanding. Staff outstanding. Pauline the Camp manager made sure we got everything we needed in this trip. Her staff, Noor & Joseph were always on hand. Steve the GM came to see us off, Steve.. I must say you guys have really done a superb job. We will be back for sure. Pauline.. remember Sura Yako Mzuri..

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2015

Having never travelled solo before, I was extremely anxious arriving in Masai Mara! After Andrew, the camp manager, and James, my guide, picked me up at the air strip, their infectious laughter and warm welcome made me feel at ease. The property was stunning, with the hippo pool just steps away from my tent. Okay so I might have been a little scared about the hippos at first but the property is well protected by staff keeping the animals at bay. Maletto did a great job being my protector in the darkness! The food and the service provided by Noor and the crew was first class. And lastly the experience out on the reserve with my guide James was so amazing. He went above and beyond to capture the essence of Africa. His passion for photography enabled me to get awesome pictures of the animals, landscape and beautiful sunsets! Everybody comments on the beautiful photos and I will recommend the Mara Explorer to anyone to wants to experience Kenya and the Masai Mara Reserve. Thanks again!

Room Tip: Tent #4 = amazing!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
La Canada Flintridge, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2015

This was our second visit to the Maasai Mara with Micato Safaris. Two years ago we spent two nights in another venue, and this time around we were fortunate to be guests at the Mara Explorer Camp. We truly enjoyed this all too brief visit to this remarkably well run, but still laid-back property. The staff truly grasps the concept of the ultimate in customer service, and were outstanding in every respect. Standouts for us were Pauline the property manager; their absolutely superb chef, Shadrock; and our incredibly accommodating waiter, Noor. The food was excellent, and willingly customized to our desires. In fact our waiter asked us in advance as to what we might enjoy for either breakfast and/or dinner, and a preferred time for the meal...therefore eliminating any unnecessary wait-time. Everything about the dining experience was as good as it possibly can get. Plus you get to enjoy your meal on an overlook watching the Hippos doing their thing in the water...plus other wildlife passing through. I urge anyone reading this review to consider visiting Kenya...the Maasi Mara...and more specifically the Mara Explorer Camp. It will not disappoint.

Room Tip: All the tents have views of the river.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Torrance, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

I have returned to Mara Explorer for the third time this February. This place is absolutely amazing…not because of its great location, spectacular game viewing in Masai Mara, its charming setting, it's privacy /just 10 tents/...but what truly makes the whole safari experience so memorable and so enjoyable is truly level of service provided…highly professional, outstanding in every way, beyond expectations….but most of all what really sets this place apart from so many other places is its hospitality. You feel really welcome and because of that this place has a special place in my heart, I know I will be coming back for many years to come and in my heart I call this place home.
It was really special being welcomed on airstrip….by manager Steve Nzuki /from my past experience I truly can say this person loves what he does and I am so glad that he is still with a company and is in a charge of management/. Warm welcome from Steve and from camp manager Pauline, followed by all familiar faces of Mara Explorer team welcoming me upon arrival….those are truly cherished memories, I really appreciate and thank everyone for their hospitality.
My guide Joseph is so knowledgeable and I give him a credit for not missing sightseeing of lions for my full 10 day stay and helping me with my Swahili basics, Shadrock was cooking for me all of my personal requests, Pauline was a great host….again the whole experience of my stay exceeded my expectations….as previous times the whole team of Mara Explorer made me feel truly pampered, thank you everyone for an outstanding service.
I am missing this amazing place, sound of birds upon waking up in the morning or from the afternoon nap, traveling sound of laughing hyenas, roaring lions at night, sound of river and its hippos, magic of candle lid bubble bath at night with fireflies around…I am missing Masai Mara and its beauty.
Thank you again for creating this amazing experience for me Mara Explorer team….asante sana.

Bibiana /California/

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo

Been to Mara Explorer Camp? Share your experiences!