First time at this camp, stayed here 16/04/2015 for 3 nights (wish it had been longer). We transferred to Explorer from Mara Intrepids, which was a 2 minute drive. Maurice the camp manager and friend, was there to welcome us. He showed us around the reception area and explained all about the camp and how it was not fenced in like the other camps. Our bags were then taken to our tent, No 8, wow. It was brilliant overlooking the river Talek, with a pod of Hippo's just below our tent. The tent was spacious and had King size bed, toilet, shower, hand basins, wardrobe, desk, tea/coffee making facilities and just outside a bath which was screened so no one could see. Our tent was superbly cleaned by Samuel, who also brought us coffee and cookies with our early morning call. The meals were 5*, wonderfully cooked and presented by chefs Josephat and Shadrack. After dark when you wanted to come for dinner you had to radio (which was provided and explained at check in) the guard, Francis, who would come and collect you and take you back after. This was because there is no fence around the camp, although we never saw any animals in camp but heard plenty. Nelson was our waiter, what a lovely man. Nothing was too much trouble, friendly, always smiling, having a laugh with you but always professional in his job. Vincent from Mara Intrepids was still our driver/guide and never let us down, always looking for the animals you wanted to see and finding them. Chief came to the camp to take us out for a nature walk on our last day. You are driven a few kilometers into the Mara, and then you get out and walk with an armed ranger, Philip in our case and Chief who tells you all about the animals and the plants. We saw Giraffes, Eland and even a fresh Hyena burrow. We were out about 21/2 hours or more and I've got to say we loved every minute, Asante Sana Chief we'll never forget it. Our last night we had a bush dinner which was great and they still kept their food 5*. This camp is brilliant, the staff, the food and the tents. I highly recommend this camp and we will be coming back. If you do come to this camp I defy you to be disappointed with any of it. Oh its all inclusive as well, which was the icing on the cake.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the world famous Masai Mara, Mara Explorer Camp is set on its own private peninsula, with each of its ten luxurious tents opening to the Talek River and the stunning savanna. The tents, equipped with all mod cons are set on wooden decks opening out to a private verandah where you can enjoy time alone in the wild away from it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Mara Explorer Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Explorer Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Explorer Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve