We ended our 8-day safari with 3 nights at the Mara Explorer. The other camps we visited had set menus, so it was refreshing to be in a place where we (kids especially) could order off a small menu with a few choices. The food was excellent – top notch! And our accommodations were also fantastic – we had room #9 looking over the river and we really enjoyed listening to the sounds of the water at night (no hippo noise in this room). Andrew, the new manager, was great! We were very impressed with our guide, Michael, and his extensive knowledge of the animals in the Mara. He also knew where all the animals were going to be – often because he and the other Mara/Intrepid guides communicated and shared info regularly. (A side note: we found that using local guides on safari allowed us to see MANY more animals than we would have if we had hired one guide out of Nairobi to take us to all the parks! I can’t tell you how important it is to work with LOCAL guides – this is the BEST way to make sure you see as much as possible on your safari. The local guides will talk to each other and share information, and they know all the backroads in each of the parks so they can get around faster and if the animals are on the move, they can anticipate where the animals will end up and get you there faster.) We saw lions every day in the Mara – and one morning we happened upon a group of lions and a fresh wildebeest kill. We visited during the migration so we also saw a wildebeest crossing and a cheetah kill! I would highly recommend the Mara Explorer!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the world famous Masai Mara, Mara Explorer Camp is set on its own private peninsula, with each of its ten luxurious tents opening to the Talek River and the stunning savanna. The tents, equipped with all mod cons are set on wooden decks opening out to a private verandah where you can enjoy time alone in the wild away from it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo and Agoda so you can book your Mara Explorer Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Explorer Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Explorer Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve