If you ever dreamed of living right in the middle of the Zebra, Elephants and (according to the Maasai) the Lions in basic camp conditions this is most likely not what you wanted. It is the same experience - the camp is really in the middle of nature - but they have really tried to add a flair of luxury. The bar is well equipped (by Kenyan standards), the three course lunch and dinner excellent despite no electricity. Regularly the hot water tank are replaced for the showers and washbin outside your personal tent (equipped with tent beds so to avoid having to sleep on the ground!).
Taking a walking safari here with Maasai friends with bow, poisoned arrow and spear (most likely for show, but I guess it IS useful if that odd lion do attack) is a great experience from seeing these animals from inside the car. The night safari is also highly recommended!
Drawback is likely the price, 300 dollars/person for a tent without electricity is steep. Take it only if you want that unique bush experience and want to pay for it!
- Also Known As:
- Mara Explorer Camp Hotel
- Mara Explorer Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Explorer Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the world famous Masai Mara, Mara Explorer Camp is set on its own private peninsula, with each of its ten luxurious tents opening to the Talek River and the stunning savanna. The tents, equipped with all mod cons are set on wooden decks opening out to a private verandah where you can enjoy time alone in the wild away from it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Tingo and Venere so you can book your Mara Explorer Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.