If you are still looking where to stay then stop now, look no further. Mara Explorer is just wonderful. We spent four nights there and loved every single minute. The staff are fantastic, the tents are amazing. I will try and keep this short as I could write forever about it.
The main purpose of going on safari is to see the animals so let me start there. A huge big thank you to Dennis our guide who we really felt was a friend after spending only a short time with. His knowledge and passion made each drive an amazing experience, we both felt so lucky to have spent time with him. Dennis was always one step ahead, it was almost like he had a crystal ball and would take us somewhere where the action was about to happen. It was so clear that he wanted us to see as many things as possible. We nick named him The Stig from top gear as his driving was brilliant. Dennis is a real asset to the camp, thanks to him we saw the big five, topping off on our last evening we saw the Rhino coming down from Rhino Ridge, we were lucky enough to then spend time close up with him, an experience that we will treasure and remember always. We both learnt so much about the animals due to Dennis's vast knowledge and experience. We both felt privileged to have spent our drives with Dennis and will have great memories of those days.
The camp is not fenced off meaning that you really do get the true outdoor safari experience, there are loads of lovely little surprises which I will keep to myself so it is not spoilt for when you do go to the camp.
We must also mention a few other members of staff who made our stay memorable, Steve the manager from the time he picked us up on day one with his warm welcoming smile, he could not be any more helpful. Godfrey who again was a delight to us at every meal time serving Jim plenty of "Tusker" AKA elephant milk. Daniel and Maleto the massai warriors who were a joy to be around, one night I heard an animal outside the tent, the next day when I said to Daniel that I was worried during the night he reassured me telling me there was no need to worry as he was a Massai Warrior, this was very true and sincere. James K, equally was a gem to be around, his warm smile in the morning was lovely to be greeted by, it was much appreciated how lovely he kept our room.
The food at Explorer is true fine dining, each meal was just delicious and the chefs are to be commended. All though we are mentioning certain individuals it must be said that every member of staff we came across were delightful.
The luxury tents were just brilliant, I said I would keep this short but am finding it hard as I could just keep writing. All we would say is that we hope to be lucky enough to go back one day, I was there for my 40th birthday trip, there is no where in the world I would rather have been.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Explorer Camp Hotel
- Mara Explorer Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Explorer Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the world famous Masai Mara, Mara Explorer Camp is set on its own private peninsula, with each of its ten luxurious tents opening to the Talek River and the stunning savanna. The tents, equipped with all mod cons are set on wooden decks opening out to a private verandah where you can enjoy time alone in the wild away from it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Venere and Hotels.com so you can book your Mara Explorer Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.