“HEAVEN ON EARTH” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mara Explorer Camp

Save Saved
You added Mara Explorer Camp to your Saves list
Mara Explorer Camp
5.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   C14 Keekorok - Talek River in the middle Masai Mara Reserve-, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Salzburg, Austria
“HEAVEN ON EARTH”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

First of all we would like to say THANK YOU again to the whole staff of the Mara Explorer Camp.
Steve and his whole team were most friendly, helpful and hospitable. We were really treated like a family member.

From the very first moment we felt completely in love with this magic place. For us it is the HEAVEN ON EARTH! The most beautiful, peaceful and breathtaking place to be!

Steve, we will be back soon.

All the best and warm regards from Salzburg / Austria

Melanie & Wolfgang

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, Operations Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hello Guest,
I wont add or negate anything on your review. I do agree it is "Heaven on Earth"
Good Day
The Mara Explorer Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Stellenbosch, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The camp is intimate and personal without being fussy. We were fortunate to have Tent 4 with the antics of our hippo and baboon neighbours to watch from the lovely outdoor bath. Remember to have wine or a cocktail served to your tent to enjoy in the bath! If, however, you prefer complete quiet at night, this may not be the tent for you. It is also the tent furthest from the common area. I would also agree with previous reviewers that the mattresses are quite hard, but that's a very small complaint. Steve is an excellent host, the waiting staff is very well trained and the food delicious and varied. Vincent was a knowledgeable guide who obviously loves his work and the bush. It was wonderful to travel the length and breadth of the Mara, and not just chase the big 5. He was happy to answer questions about birds and the flora. He is also keen on photography, so will position the vehicle for the best shots. Fortunately our vehicle companions also wanted to see the whole area. We combined the two morning drives and had boxed breakfasts out in the bush, which I can recommend.
This camp is simple enough that I felt I was out in the bush. The Mara always delivers when it comes to animal sightings - 4 leopard sightings, lions, hyaenas and cheetahs every day, herds of antelope and zebra out on those spectacular plains. What more could one want?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Hello Guest,
Thank you for this review. Comment on Mattresses noted and I have started process of changing them.
So glad you came and more important you posted your review.
Remain Blessed.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed at Mara Explorer Camp in January for 4 nights. There are only ten tents and we stayed in Tent #7. All of the tents overlook a river that is populated with herds of hippos. The tents are spaced far enough away from each other that you have complete privacy from other guests.

The camp host, Steve, treated us like royalty our entire stay. He was gracious, knowledgable and wickedly funny. We felt as if we had known him for years within minutes of meeting him. Our tent was beautifully appointed, it was actually hard to remember we were in a tent with all the wood trim in the bathroom. The shower had hot running water at three intervals a day, better than a bucket shower because the water was unlimited, but you had to make sure you remembered to shower during the hours hot water was available. The tent had electrical plug ins for charging batteries which was convenient to have between game drives and at night. The one and only complaint I had about this camp is the quality of the beds and bedding. The beds are very hard, not just firm, but hard. We actually peeled back the sheets to check if we were sleeping on a boxspring rather than a mattress. It didn't detract from our stay overall but I would recommend asking them to layer a blanket or two under the sheets for some padding.

Each night the staff leaves a hot water bottle under the coverswhen they turn down the room. Such a treat! Notable for some, there is no internet or wifi access from the camp. However, there is a sister camp called Intrepids approximately five minutes away and a driver was always available to take you there if you wanted to get connected.

There was a menu with various choices for each meal and you were served as if you were in a five star restaurant. Warm towel to clean your hands, very proper service, several courses and excellent food. We arranged a breakfast in the bush day and were able to blend the two morning game drives together to get further away from camp. Highly recommend this experience (it was included free of charge), nothing like stopping for breakfast on the hood of your truck within a mile of seeing a pride of lions eating their breakfast! Unlimited beer, wine or gin is included and available any time and of course you can arrange a sundowner (again free of charge) in the bush which I highly recommend as well. The sunsets in the Masai Mara were spectacular. After dinner there is a bonfire with the sounds of hippos keeping you company.

Far and away the highlight of our stay at Mara Explorer was our guide/driver, Joseph. Not only was he excellent at spotting animals and providing detailed information about animals and the habitat, he was a great conversationalist with a great sense of humor which is essential when you spend 4-8 hours a day together in a truck. This was our second safari in Kenya and Joseph was by far the best all around driver/guide/spotter we encountered and we would insist on having him again if we return. He knows the Masai Mara like the back of his hand and knew exactly when and where to be to see certain animals.

The people that work at Mara Explorer Camp are friendly and sincere in their efforts to make your stay perfect. We expected to see animals and beautiful scenery on our visit to Kenya, what we didn't expect was to fall in love with the people. In contrast to Tanzania and South Africa, we hardly went 15 minutes on a game drive in the Masai Mara without seeing animals. Often, close enough to the truck you didn't even need a zoom lens on your camera. January is a perfect month to visit the Masai Mara, it was baby season - we saw baby lions, zebras, hartebeest, hippos, giraffe, elephant, cheetah and baboon. We also saw a cheetah stalk and run after her prey, a leopard in a tree with a recent kill and several prides of lions eating breakfast with hyenas circling. Even better, since it was off season, we often were viewing the animals without any other trucks in sight. Kenya is a spectacularly beautiful country with delightful people and we felt nothing but safe and welcome from the moment we landed in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Ask for tent #4 if you want the best view of hippos. But beware, they are incredibly noisy day and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
thanks you for this special accolade. Truly appreciated. I have noted your comments on the Hard Beds and will be discussing with Steve the solution after writing this note.
We are glad you came.
GOM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Jan 2013. 5 star experience. The camp was gorgeous. The service ( Godfrey, our wonderful server) and food was impeccable. I never heard the word No from anyone. Steve, our host, made it a fun experience even with his White Rhino joke. ;). The best part were the game drives. Our guide, Joseph, was FANTASTIC and extremely knowledgable about the animals, birds, vegetation, Ecco system, seasons.......He was a heck of a spotter and a great person to learn from. Joseph made our vacation. So glad we chose Kenya and the Mara. Very safe the the Kenyans are the nicest people I have ever met on vacation and we are well traveled.

Room Tip: Pick room 4 if you want to watch the hippos all day. My only negative is that the bed was extremel...
Hello Guest,
thanks for this review. We are glad you enjoyed. We all look forward to hosting you again soon.
Regards,
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I visited the Mara Explorer at the end of an eight day safari booked through Gamewatcher. On the recommendation of Julie from Gamewatchers, I stayed here for two nights in August 2012. This is a nice camp in the Mara Reserve. The nice thing is that it is only 5 minutes from the airstrip.

This was a different experience from the Porini Camps I had stayed at (Rhino, Amboselli, Lion) but I am glad I came.

I arrived at the camp after being in the Mara for 3 nights a the Lion camp. I was greeted by Steven the camp manager. He was really nice and pleasant. This place is 5 stars and definitely has the feel. Unlike other camps, you have the ability to dine and order off a menu. This is good and bad. You can eat when you want but you lose the group feel you get when everyone eats together. Luckily, the people at my camp were really social and we all sat around the fire before dinner and talked. I was traveling alone and was invited each night to sit with other people.

What is great about the Explorer is that it is small. I talked to some people who stayed at the Intrepids and that camp has far more tents. The Explorer is really intimate!

The game drives are different than Porini in that they are "scheduled" at 6:30, 10 and 3. Porini takes you out and its less structured and you stay out as long as you want. What I gathered is that the reason for the structure is that the drives are scheduled around the dining room times. However, they will pack a breakfast if you go on an early drive and take you out longer to 1 or so.

I enjoyed the game drives and the jeeps are really comfortable. I am going to go out on a limb and say this camp is for the less adventurous vs the Porini camps. However, it was GREAT to have a long hot shower and a bath tub to soak in at the Explorer. I even had a message in my tent on day! The tents are BEAUTIFUL and on the Mara River. You can see and hear the hippos all day and night! It is really special. The other thing that is nice about the Explorer is that they do you laundry for free. This was much needed after washing my clothes in the sinck for 8 days!

On our game drives, we saw three total male lions, leopards, a rhino (only one of 83 in the park) and many other animals. We also saw the migration.

The last night, Steven surprised us with a bush party! I was really special. I really enjoyed my stay but it was really different than the Lion Camp. I have posted my review separately on Trip Advisor along with tips for travel on your safari. Have Fun!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Good Morning Guest,
It is always nice for us to read a review of one who has visited many products as a good comparison is made. this helps benchmarking and improving.
I have noted all your comments and particularly the generous words you had for Steve. These are all recorded and will be remembered as we plan his career progression.
So glad you came, you enjoyed and hopefully you will come back.
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Just before Christmas in December 2012 I spent 4 amazing days in this fantastic and charming place in the middle of the magnificent Masai Mara. It was truly everything I had hoped for. The camp is exclusive and very cosy at the same time. Everyone at the camp is so dedicated, warm and friendly and they went out of their way to make us feel welcome - they succeeded very well in this :-) The tent was very comfortable with a great veranda, and the food is just delicious. Our guide Koikai was absolutely great and knowledgeable and with him we experienced the wonderful and outstanding scenery and wildlife. We had a great time and would love to visit again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Good Morning,
Thank you for posting your comments on this Forum. We are so glad you had a wonderful and memorable experience.
leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Mara Explorer for 4 nights from the 5th November to the 9th November 2012. I feel it is fair to say that the Mara Explorer is the single most wonderful place we have ever stayed!! The aspect that we felt really sets the Mara Explorer head and shoulders above anywhere else we have stayed, is the absolute dedication of the staff that work there in make your stay as pleasurable as possible.
We received the warmest of welcomes from all the staff on arrival to the camp, and following a refreshing glass of mango juice and a quick brief on how the camp operated, we were escorted to our tent by our attentive steward James. On our first day we watched elephants feeding on the greenery from the bank opposite our tent, and at night while tucked up in bed, you can hear Hippos literally walking through the camp. James our steward was wonderful, very polite and kept our tent pristine. He provided us with hot water bottles at night to combat the cold, giving a prime example of the camps personal touch.
The food and drink provided at the Mara Explorer was exquisite. Our waiters Odin and Noor were fantastic throughout our stay, always working hard to make sure we had everything we could ever want.
We had 3 game drives a day, first thing in the morning before breakfast, mid-morning until just before lunch, and late afternoon until the early evening. Our dedicated driver was James. Primarily, these game drives are the reason why you choose to go on Safari and we were not left disappointed. James was amazing. His knowledge on each animal, bird, plant and flower found in Masai Mara was exceptional and he was genuinely a lovely guy with a great sense of humour. It was a pleasure spending such a large chunk of the day with him. He also had an uncanny ability in finding every animal we asked to see. The Masai Mara itself is teeming with wildlife. James was very flexible with the timing of our game drives, and even suggested substituting them for activities such as bush walks and visiting a Masai village, of which he was more than happy to organise.
Towards the end of our stay at the Mara Explorer, my wife celebrated a birthday. Two days before her birthday, I was approached my Kabui, the Site Manager who asked if my wife would like a surprise massage. I agreed, and on the following day my wife was treated to a full body massage on the decking outside of our tent, over-looking the river. The evening before her birthday while having a BBQ dinner next to a campfire, the staff broke out into song and dance, wishing my wife a happy birthday and presented her with a birthday cake. This is in addition to the “Sundown Cocktails” and “Bush Breakfast” that we were treated to as well.
If you have ever considered that Safari is something that you would like to do, then book yourself in at the Mara Explorer, you will not be disappointed. We are already working out how we can get back! Thank you so much to Kabui, James our driver, James our steward, Odin, Noor, and all the staff for the most magical time of our lives!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am truly so glad that you enjoyed immensely your stay in the Mara. The Doors are open for you to visit again soon. How about recomending us to your friends
Regards,
The Mara Explorer Team

Been to Mara Explorer Camp? Share your experiences!