My wife and I stayed at the Mara Explorer for 4 nights from the 5th November to the 9th November 2012. I feel it is fair to say that the Mara Explorer is the single most wonderful place we have ever stayed!! The aspect that we felt really sets the Mara Explorer head and shoulders above anywhere else we have stayed, is the absolute dedication of the staff that work there in make your stay as pleasurable as possible.
We received the warmest of welcomes from all the staff on arrival to the camp, and following a refreshing glass of mango juice and a quick brief on how the camp operated, we were escorted to our tent by our attentive steward James. On our first day we watched elephants feeding on the greenery from the bank opposite our tent, and at night while tucked up in bed, you can hear Hippos literally walking through the camp. James our steward was wonderful, very polite and kept our tent pristine. He provided us with hot water bottles at night to combat the cold, giving a prime example of the camps personal touch.
The food and drink provided at the Mara Explorer was exquisite. Our waiters Odin and Noor were fantastic throughout our stay, always working hard to make sure we had everything we could ever want.
We had 3 game drives a day, first thing in the morning before breakfast, mid-morning until just before lunch, and late afternoon until the early evening. Our dedicated driver was James. Primarily, these game drives are the reason why you choose to go on Safari and we were not left disappointed. James was amazing. His knowledge on each animal, bird, plant and flower found in Masai Mara was exceptional and he was genuinely a lovely guy with a great sense of humour. It was a pleasure spending such a large chunk of the day with him. He also had an uncanny ability in finding every animal we asked to see. The Masai Mara itself is teeming with wildlife. James was very flexible with the timing of our game drives, and even suggested substituting them for activities such as bush walks and visiting a Masai village, of which he was more than happy to organise.
Towards the end of our stay at the Mara Explorer, my wife celebrated a birthday. Two days before her birthday, I was approached my Kabui, the Site Manager who asked if my wife would like a surprise massage. I agreed, and on the following day my wife was treated to a full body massage on the decking outside of our tent, over-looking the river. The evening before her birthday while having a BBQ dinner next to a campfire, the staff broke out into song and dance, wishing my wife a happy birthday and presented her with a birthday cake. This is in addition to the “Sundown Cocktails” and “Bush Breakfast” that we were treated to as well.
If you have ever considered that Safari is something that you would like to do, then book yourself in at the Mara Explorer, you will not be disappointed. We are already working out how we can get back! Thank you so much to Kabui, James our driver, James our steward, Odin, Noor, and all the staff for the most magical time of our lives!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the world famous Masai Mara, Mara Explorer Camp is set on its own private peninsula, with each of its ten luxurious tents opening to the Talek River and the stunning savanna. The tents, equipped with all mod cons are set on wooden decks opening out to a private verandah where you can enjoy time alone in the wild away from it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo and Agoda so you can book your Mara Explorer Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Explorer Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Explorer Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve