Leaving our last Lodge on the 4th day with JuliusTSafaris we were warned by our driver we were in for a long drive with some "bumpy" roads. That was an understatement but what lay ahead was nothing but amazing. On arrival at Royal Mara we were greeted by the Manager with cool wet washers and juice, very welcome after a 70 km rough road.
Hearing a 'grunting" noise from the river we ventured over to the edge with a staff member to find a watering hole of what seems hundreds of hippos... surreal and what a welcoming party that was.
Escorted to our ensuite tent we were blown away - first by the "wow" factor on entering the tent,(all African décor) secondly by the layout and thirdly by the cleanliness. This was always going to be a great 3 days at Royal Mara. The Royal Mara is just a small lodge with 8 tents, all meals are taken in the dining area a short walk away or by the River Mara's edge under trees ( we were always accompanied by a security guard with rifle). Wilson, our driver/guide for the 3 days had so much local knowledge that we were able to find the "Big 5" during our stay here. No stone was unturned in our endeavours to do so...
To say Royal Mara and its staff are nothing short of excellent in every respect I can only recommend staying here if you ever have the opportunity. I would go back in a heart beat to see the abundance of animals we got to see on this 3 day stay - just amazing and so awesome.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Mara is a luxury safari and game viewing lodge located in Kenya's world famous Masai Mara, home to the annual Great Migration of the Wildebeest. We are situated directly on the Mara River with six riverfront guest suites. All suites are raised upon wooden decks with full mahogany flooring and original hand carved furniture. See the same wildlife-rich areas as broadcast on the BBC Big Cat Diary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Royal Mara Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Mara Safari Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Royal Mara Safari Lodge Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve