“Extraordinary Location, Facilities and Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Mara Safari Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Royal Mara Safari Lodge
You added Royal Mara Safari Lodge to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Masai Mara North Conservancy | P.O Box 260, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00621, Kenya   |
Hannover
“Extraordinary Location, Facilities and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We will not describe the Royal Mara Lodge as this has been done several times and all the pictures speak for themselves.
But some points need to be highlighted no doubt.

First of all if you are in the planning stage and not sure which reserve you gonna visit make sure you are including the Masai Mara. If time and money permits check the other parcs as well but if it is an A or B go straight to the Mara.
Then join James or Jeffrey for a fantastic game drive and enjoy this beautiful country.

The location of the Royal Mara Lodge is perfect. Sitting right next to the river, watching the crocs and hipos while having breakfast or listening to the wildlife during the night is an unforgetable experience.
They are also offering a safari walk which was interesting too.
Special thanks to Regan and Sammy it was just brilliant!!!

Last but not least we want to send our regards and best wishes to everybody working in the Royal Mara Team.
Especially all the efforts spent in preparing and helping me with my marriage proposal were really exceptional. As you know she said "yes" and without you guys.... who knows ;)
For sure we will never forget these days!
Nelson, Stephen and George - Thank you very much!

All the best,

Diana & Timo

Room Tip: All houses seem to be the same standard. Regardless which one you will get they are all superb.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Elizabeth, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed at the royal mara for the first time this past January and it was truly amazing. The game drives are outstanding and getting to see all the animals was a great experience. The lodging itself is top notch and has the great ambience of a lodge with all the modern and luxury amenities one expects from a world class resort. The food was great as well, and I got a bit addicted to their bread made from scratch as well as their soups. Some of the other guests had stayed multiple times and everyone including the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Royal Mara is truly a special place. I travel most of the year for business and this is the one place that I find my mind wandering back to. I've now stayed at Royal Mara 3 times, and somehow it keeps getting better each time. Somehow, the food was even better the third time. I loved the soups and the rolls. The butter is even the perfect temperature for spreading. One of my friends could not stop raving about the butter, lol. The breakfast and salads are delicious as well! I never went hungry. All the food was completely included. The service is also very attentive and comprehensive. Which brings me to the best part of Royal Mara.

The staff is so friendly. They are always saying "Hello" and asking how your are doing. Almost every day we went on a walking drive. It was great to get so much fresh air and exercise, but it was also awesome to walk and talk with local Masai. Those guys have been living in that area for generations, so it is very evident how closely they carry their peoples' ties to the wildlife. There are domesticated cows kept by the various tribes, but it is taboo for them to eat wildlife! So you can trust that the driver of your car on safari has a deep respect for the animals he is driving you to see. And the fact that they were so welcoming and hospitable makes all the difference in creating an awesome experience!

I lastly commend Royal Mara on pure attention to detail. The rooms are spacious and luxurious (intricately carved furniture, etc), and now they have WIFI! Monkeys, elands, and many many more species even roam freely throughout the grounds. Every afternoon, a huge family of probably 100+ mongoose would seemingly migrate by the lounge to some burrow nearby. It was truly an awesome sight for an afternoon sitting in the lounge and drinking Tuskers. For me, Royal Mara became a sanctuary of relaxation and dining while being close to the animals and having the convenience of staying in touch with work over email. The game drives are even more awesome, but you know the kind of hotel where you almost don't want to leave to go do things because it's so nice just spending time in your room and in the lounge? Also, you feel like you don't want to even leave. Well this is that type of hotel. Which is why the game drives have to be so amazing, to make sure you get out and explore the savanna more deeply.

If you stay at Royal Mara, expect your time to be comfortable and enchanting. Now that the rooms have free WIFI, i can't think of what more I'd want out of this hotel.

Note - I gave the fitness center 5 stars because I view the walking game drives as their version of fitness center and they are awesome / beautiful. Way better than any other fitness center I've used.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

You know a hotel is good if half the guests staying there have been before. This is the situation I found myself in while sipping wine around a bonfire at the Royal Mara. We had a perfect stay, and were surprised to find we enjoyed ourselves even more than the last time. As usual the service was great, the game drives were awe inspiring. This time we were excited to find they had made a few upgrades! This time they had wifi in the rooms (how they get wifi in the middle of nowhere still baffles me) and the food was even better than our last visit. The rooms were as beautiful as I remembered, and I always find myself wishing I was back in that insanely comfortable bed listening to the animal sounds to wake up in the morning.

Im a big stickler for great service, and thats the main reason I like this place. Everyone who works there is personable and amazing, always taking note of what they can do to make you happy. I was excited to see many of the same people were there from our last visit and they actually remembered me! Also, In the past year Ive also developed a huge appreciation for birds and birding. The drivers were amazing in accommodating me with this. On an average day I would see at least 40 species! The drivers had a knack for always finding whatever someone in the car would fancy, and I really appreciated this. My only complaint is that after seeing so many birds Im now spoiled, and can never appreciate birding anywhere else as much!

Again a huge thank you to the drivers, Regan for the game walks, and everyone else who made our stay at the Mara so memorable. We will see you again next year!

Norfolk, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My partner, 10 year old son and I travelled to the Royal Mara from our beach hotel through Julius T safari's (seperate review to follow) for a 2 night stay. We had chosen this lodge on the basis of previous Tripadvisor reviews but we still were not prepared for how amazing this place was.

We were picked up from the airstrip by James, who was our driver for the entire stay, and immediately saw so may animals on the way to the lodge our son was beside himself.
You are given a lovely welcome by all of the staff in the reception area and then taken to your tent to settle in before lunch. The tent was bigger than our beach hotel room, huge comfortable beds and an enormous shower room. The balcony outside overlooks the river Mara and the resident hippo's which can be very noisy, but we loved hearing them- its all part of the Royal Mara experience.

We ate our meals by the river during the day, in the shade at lunchtime, and around the firepit in the evening which gave everything a lovely atmosphere. The food was really nice, we tried everything on offer, and the drinks were very reasonably priced.

What made our trip special was the staff, from the guards walking you around at meal times (they also take you on a walking safari which I highly recommend) to the housekeepers, drivers, and waiters. George Jnr is the Manager/ son of the owner and is ever present- chatting to you about your game drives, or answering any questions you can think of.

The game drives themselves are great, so many animals to see at a really close distance, and James was so good at positioning us to get some great photos. We saw lions chasing a gazelle, 2 male lions miss out an a warthog breakfast, and 2 beautiful cheetahs. We didn't see a leopard or rhino but we didn't feel cheated as it impresses upon you that these are wild animals who do not just hang around waiting for the tourists to take their photo (plus it gives us a really good reason to come back another day!)

Overall we cannot recommend this lodge highly enough, and look forward to a return trip in the future.

Poznan, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Big area with only a few (12?), comfortable, huge huts, Very clean, very well furnished. Excellent food. Welcoming personell. At night hippos and other animals preying next to a hut. Tasty drinking chocolate at 6:00am just before an early morning game. Meals just on the river, dinner with hippo preying in bush next to us, exotic frogs singing in the evening. Everything was just amazing. The only issue for some malcontents may be electric power which is switched off each night. For us this was just exotic and fun. We had a very good, experienced, very polite driver Jeffrey. He drove us not only through reserve but showed us a piece of Africa outside. We learned from him may things. And we are in touch with him on fb now. Thank you, Royal Mara!

Room Tip: Very end hut - the biggest chance for hippo preying at night
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Mara for 2 nights 3 days oorganised by JT Safaris, we were totally blown away by the lodge it was amazing, didnt sleep much as we stayed awake all night listening to all the amimal passing by our lodge. Would definately recommend staying there and would do so again. Having breakfast with the hippos, lunch under a tree in the bush and supper under the stars, We had a driver called Simon who went the extra mile in finding all the amimals we wanted see and more. Ragan and Moses were our guards and made sure we were kept safe. All the staff could not do enough for us and made our stay memorable. The only down side to our stay was a Japanese lady who complained about everything from her drink not being cold enough and her supper was 10 minutes late,and the amimal were making to much noise, I felt sorry for the staff who had to put up with her lack of manners she was totally out of order and said she could get them all sacked if she wanted too, she needed to get a life and stop being so rude..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Mara Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!