“Perfect In Every Single Way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Mara Safari Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Royal Mara Safari Lodge
You added Royal Mara Safari Lodge to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Masai Mara North Conservancy | P.O Box 260, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00621, Kenya   |
Detroit, Michigan
“Perfect In Every Single Way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Royal Mara for 10-ish days in May. It was our first time for safari, and I can proudly proclaim we've already booked another stay at the Royal Mara for next year. First off the wildlife guides are so knowledgeable, if you have come to see the animals you will not be disappointed. Julius (even though we slowly figured out there are about 3 equally awesome guys named Julius who work here) was our guide for most of our stay. I feel what sets this place apart from all of the others we have ever stayed in is that the ENTIRE staff is friendly. From the person who brings your coffee in the morning, the person who serves you lunch, the person walks you to your tent at night, to the owner himself. Everyone has great personality, and really listens to you. I had told several of the men working there how excited I was to see the hippos. Several times throughout my stay, when the hippos come on land at night, someone would rush over and grab my boyfriend and I and we would all sneak over to watch the hippos grazing on land. Little details like that are what helped push my opinion of this place from amazing to perfect. We got to see all the animals we could hope to see, and Julius knew some of the perfect hidden and SECLUDED spots to see the animals. The rooms themselves are beautiful and clean, with lots of ornate hand carvings. The shower was amazing and roomy, with a rainfall shower head. The bed was insanely comfortable. Sleeping in somewhere so beautiful, with all the animal noises around you when you wake up in the morning is an experience to be remembered. I also really liked how the rooms had little balcony areas, its nice to be able to say you sunbathed overlooking a river full of hippos. Overall the huge amount of animals we saw, plus the plush rooms, plus the individual attention equals the 5 star stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The Royal Mara is a wonderful base for a safari holiday. We stayed there for 4 days at the start of our honeymoon. The luxurious tents are large wooden structures with the tents inside, they are full of furniture covered in beautiful carvings and a very large and comfortable bed. The staff could not have been more friendly, we had our own waiter, room attendant who brought us coffee and turned down the bed at night and our own guard to walk us around the open site, the advantage of this is that you get to know them by the end of your stay. The safari guide was very good, we saw the big 5 (lion, rhino, elephant, buffalo and leopard) in a very comfortantable vehicle, the first 2 days it was just my wife and I on our own in the car. The food was very nice, far better than I expected on safari, the only critisism was that there was so much of it. As there are only 8 tents, at the moment, the atmosphere was quiet and relaxed, with all the noise coming from the hippos living in the river next to the lodge.
I wouold highly recommend the Royal Mara as a place to stay and could not have faulted the wonderful fews days that my wife and I spent there at the start of our married life.

Room Tip: We stayed in Simba Lodge and the HIppos seemed to be in the river outside the lodge most of the time...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Valhalla, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I absolutely loved every minute of our time at the Royal Mara. It was by far the best part of our honeymoon. We saw literally everything we wanted to see - including a cheetah, a leopard, lions with their cubs, lions eating their kill, and lions mating (multiple times!). Our driver was Jeffrey and I can't say enough good things about him. He was excellent at finding wildlife but also just such a warm person - we really enjoyed our game drives with him. While it's definitely not cheap, the accommodations are beautiful and the food is excellent. I'm a somewhat picky eater (don't eat red meat or pork) and there was plenty for me to eat. Everyone who works there is so nice and they do everything they can to take care of your every need. We will definitely be back one day and we really hope Jeffrey is still working there so he can be our driver again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

We researched dozens of places before finally deciding on Royal Mara and we're so glad we ended up there! Having only 8 rooms makes a world of difference. We met so many of the amazing people who work there...everyone looks after you and wants to be sure you're staying happy, not just your assigned guard, waiter, driver.

Julius was our highly skilled driver, and with his many yrs of experience, managed to find all of the animals we wanted to see within the first 2 days - ALL of the big cats, elephants, giraffes, zebras...to name just a few! He was a great source of information when it came to the animals, landscape, and Masai culture. Plus his driving skills are unreal! It's easy to tell how much he and all of the Masai working at the camp cherish this amazing land where they grew up.

The camp organized a bush lunch on our second day for all of the guests and of course the setting was surreal, just like the entire landscape in Mara North. We joined Stephen and Leparis for a nature walk which was great too. Leparis was happy to answer all of our questions about Masai traditions and family life. We also learned so much about this great tribe from Joshua, our amazing waiter as well. Our housekeeper, Julius, made sure we were awake in time for our early game drives, with a hot pot of coffee to ease us into the dark, chilly morning. And Francis guarded us all night as well as to and from our room.

The room was so much nicer than in the pictures and the sound of the hippos at night brought the wild of the game drives right to our doorstep! The chefs are amazing too and the meals are so large that you haven't time to get hungry in between!

The staff themselves performed a Masai dance in their traditional clothing for us and 2 other couples who were celebrating anniversaries as well- the chef even prepared cakes for each of us! Everyone went above and beyond, and the Mara itself is breathtaking at every turn.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have recently returned from Kenya after spending 9 nights and 8 full days on Safari at the Royal Mara. The facilites are outstanding only to be surpassed by the wonderfull staff who made this Safari so incrdible. Everybody from Geoge (Jr.), James the Manager, our wonderful guide and driver James, our food steward, Nelson and the security staff of LePeres and Moses together with the chefs and room attendants made this a time that we will cherish and remember for the rest of our lives. The animal viewings were truly great and we accomplished our goals of seeking and viewing the "Big Cats"

To anybody wanting to Safari in the Masai Mara, Kenya you cannot do any better than to book with the Royal Mara Safari Lodge, you will not be disappointed for sure.

Room Tip: All the rooms are of equal quality, room 8 is nearest the dining facilities and Curio shop
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

We spent two nights at the Royal Mara and honestly had the most amazing time.
The rooms are excellent with the best bed ever plenty of space, hot water and a fully flushing toilet you would never think you are in a tent!
The lodge itself is based right beside the mara river, by day you can watch the hippos wallowing in the river and by night you can hear them which reminds you how close to nature you are.
The food at the lodge is fantastic and my only complaint would be that there was too much of it and as it was so nice I had to eat it all of course!! I am a vegetarian and they catered for my dietary needs with the most delicious and creative dishes.
The staff at the lodge were also fantastic everyone from our waiter, housekeeper, security guards and the game driver could not do enough for us. It's true when they say Kenyans are the nicest people! The hospitality was great and they genuinely just wanted us to have a great time.
On safari we saw 3 of the big five on our first game drive. We went at the end of the rainy season so was not expecting much but out driver Jeffery was excellent at spotting the animals and so knowledgable about the animals and their habits. We had breakfast in the middle of the Mara which was a truly memorable experience.
I cannnot praise the Royal Mara enough. I have travelled many places and stayed in many hotels and also worked in the travel industry myself. I would recommend this hotel to anyone with out hesitation.

• Stayed June 2012
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We have just returned from a 4 nights 5 days safari & we stayed at the Royal Mara Safari Lodge. It was fantastick and all the staff were wonderfull. The attention to detail food & service was first class. This is the best lodge we have ever stayed at and the best Safari ever. If you want to be well looked after and have a great Safari then I would recommend that you book to stay at this Lodge it is faultless and We're going back next year and I can't wait I'm planing to stay for a bit longer its that good. We booked our trip through JT Safais and as always JT and his team were first class.

Room Tip: All the tents were first class .
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Mara Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!