“Beyond expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Naibor Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Naibor Camp
Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Crewe
“Beyond expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was our first experience of a tented camp, having stayed in lodges during the first two stages of our safari. We approached the experience with some trepidation but our worries and fears were allayed during our stay at this fabulous place.
Ken, Michelle and the staff were so friendly, welcoming and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed the company of all the staff, for whom nothing was too much trouble. We especially enjoyed the private, and very romantic, dinner outside our tent, complete with our own camp-fire, and the complimentary bottle of champagne to celebrate our special wedding anniversary. Thank you.
Our tent was very spacious and it was with much relief that we saw the sturdy, semi-permanent bathroom facilities. We were a bit worried about the bucket-shower idea (notwithstanding Ken's gentle teasing!) but this was a reassuringly enjoyable experience.
The food exceeded our expectations and would not be amiss in a top-notch restaurant in any European city. Beautifully cooked, presented and served, it tasted divine.
The setting, next to the Talek river, is simply beautiful. It must be the nearest thing to peace on earth, with even the hippo noises adding to its beauty.
Our drivers and guides, David and Moses, were such very good company. They were so friendly and extremely knowledgeable about the environment and wildlife. We particularly enjoyed chatting with them as we enjoyed our 'sundowners' and watched spectacular sunsets.
We had only booked to stay for two nights because of our uncertainty about sleeping under canvas. However, we were totally converted and left wishing we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed here for two nights only, sadly. Had a wonderful time and would highly recommend.
The tents are beautiful and spacious. The furniture, decor etc. is lovely- modern and light. Was dreading the bucket shower, but actually it was lovely and refreshing.
Some great little touches like the hot water bottle tucked into your bed at night, and the coffee brought to wake you up in the morning.
The food was amazing- would not have been out of place at a London restaurant. Felt really fresh and healthy. Nice wine too- and plenty of it.
Pre-dinner drinks around the campfire then the communal dining was a pleasure. The main tent at night is decked out with candles and looks beautiful. My 12 and 15 year olds were made very welcome and very much brought into the conversations at dinner.
Really did feel like we could make our own plan and the hosts, Michelle and Ken would sort it. Just trying to make sure we had the best time, arther than stick to their timetable.
David the driver was great. Knowledgeable, grabbed the best spots for things. And just a really nice guy.
Camp is open but felt very safe. The guards outside each tent seemed strange at first, but actually very reassuring.l
Just can’t rate highly enough!!!
Contrary to other reviews, our host Ken did not dance on the tables at all when we were there (bit disappointed really!!!), and both he and Michelle were actually just really great people. We wish them well in getting the #1 slot for Naibor!

Room Tip: All the tents are beautiful. We had 5 and 6 which were furthest away from the communal tent, but abo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Thank you, Michelle and Ken, for making so welcome and giving me a very special stay at Little Naibor Camp. Everything about the camp is top notch and you are a very professional team. Every member of staff was very pleasant and helpful and I felt quite at home with every comfort to hand. The tents are lovely and spacious and the food is delicious. The spa and treatment room run by Mabel is a haven of peace - Mabel really knows what she's doing whether giving a pedicure or body massage.
Excellent game drive with Moses who knows the Mara well, showing me cheetah and lion amongst other flora and fauna. Highly recommend every aspect of the camp and Main Naibor and Naibor Wilderness Camp too. Thanks to you all.

Room Tip: Wonderful beauty treatments, pedicure, massage consumer tested 100% approved! I had room 2 Little N...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Words will never express the amazing trip we had at this camp...HIGHLY,HIGHLY recommend it. Everything from the experienced driver, food, safety and knowledgeable/friendly management staff is spectacular! This place is top notch, be prepared to gain some weight with all the delicious food served and personalized service you will receive. I attached some pictures for you to see for yourself! You wake up every morning with tea/coffee and cookies brought to your room!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Having been to Kenya on safari before, and having stayed in numerous camps not only in the Maasai Mara but all around Kenya (all around Africa actually!), I decided to upgrade and try for somewhere more luxurious. My stay in Naibor was without doubt the highlight of my trip to Kenya.

On arrival we were personally greeted by Ken (the camp manager) and Nick (an assistant manager). We saw quite a lot of them (and Michelle, Ken's wife and also camp manager) throughout our stay there. They really made us feel at home and are fantastic company around dinner. The thing I was most impressed about actually was the fact that at every dinner we had there (which I’ll come on to later), they ate with the guests. I’d never had that before and it did allow those of use staying at the camp to engage with each other. Their banter is top quality too, though don’t mention the Ashes to Ken, or Hugh Jackman to Michelle (for entirely different reasons).

The location is superior to any of the other camps I've been to around Africa. The camp sits on bank of the Talek river and is unfenced (really immersive experience, although we felt quite safe as it is patrolled 24/7 by Maasai askari). There are over 2 dozen hippos right there in front of you (not to mention a couple of crocs) so we were already right in the mix of things!

Our luxury tents which were immaculate. The hot showers and hot drink outside our tent before morning game drive were a real treat, as in July it can get quite cold in the mornings/evenings. We had our own room attendant who helped tailor our stay and was always accessible.

We chose Naibor above some of the other camps nearby (like Rekero) as it is supposed to have some of the best food. We were not disappointed. From bush breakfasts (surreal to have this around 20,000 wildebeest) to a proper three-course dinner, it was restaurant quality food. I would personally lke to thank the staff for their unwaivering service and willingness to accommodate almost any request we had. Also hands down the best house red wine I’ve ever had. Anywhere.

What I was most apprehensive before coming was the guide. Whilst I have been on many safaris, my family had not. The quality of guide can make or break the entire experience. Our guide, Lolo, made our game drives epic. His eyesight is unbelievable and his experience of the terrain and animal behaviour meant we were usually one step ahead of the other cars. I could write a chapter on this point alone, but suffice it to say, highly recommended.

It was a shame then that our next camp (no names), although excellent, couldn’t live up to this one, bringing in the only negative thing I have to say. That, like all good things, it had to end. When I do come back to the Mara, I know where I’ll be staying. Rekero. Joking! Naibor, obviously.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was my first visit to Masai Mara and indeed any safari. However, my wife has been on many and we both agree that Naibor Camp couldn't possibly have an equal.

As we were driven on our safaris in a top of the range vehicle prepared especially for me and my wife we could see that other safari goers we met along our way through the Masai Mara simply didn't have the level quality that we did. We were able to stop and take pictures of the stunning wildlife and surroundings at our leisure without imposing on other people (or other people imposing on us!).

The camp itself was amazing, decorated and furnished beautifully. Set on the banks of the Talek where we saw plenty of hippos and other wildlife. The service was outstanding, from the level of attention put to the safari itself to the food and drink. The rooms were immaculate and little touches like hot water bottles waiting for you when you go to sleep are small examples of the attention to detail this place goes to (There are so many things like this, I couldn't possibly list them all).

It is obvious straight away that all of the staff at Naibor are extremely knowledgable about the surrounding areas and the wildlife. The staff were always happy to make sure we have the best time possible, no more so than Michelle and Ken (who run the place) - Thanks for helping make our stay so memorable.

This place is easily a 10/10 no-brainer!!!

Naibor is the only place I'd consider staying at on safari - I truly had an excellent and unforgettable experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I am somewhat baffled by the previous review of Tracey P. We were there at exactly the same time and well remember this couple. When they joined us at the dining table they fully contributed to the banter and were all laughs and joviality . Ken and Michelle specially asked about their ballon ride and I was particularly curious as to their birds-eye view experience. As far as their privacy and intimacy is concerned Naibor had enough places scattered around the dining areas for this to take place. If you choose to sit right next to the communal table are a group of eight to ten people expected to converse and exchange their day's safari experiences in hushed tones or sign language? It seems that this couple were expecting everything 'Sala' at Naibor which is unfair and unreasonable and therefore at best have a confused recollection . Never mind !
As for our time at Naibor let me first of all THANK both Ken and Michelle for making our stay so enjoyable and memorable that we have recommended it to so many people already . Michelle went beyond requirement to ensure different dietary needs were met and all meals were planned with meticulous finesse . Hot water for showers , teas , coffees , complimentary laundry service, packed lunches and breakfasts , snacks ( this list is not exhaustive ) were all provided whenever and however you needed it . And did I mention the wine ? Expensive and beautiful wine was served and again all complimentary ! The service by the waiters was fantastic while the Masai Askaris were our guardian angels outside every tent , every night.
Our safari was equally memorable and let me give Lolo our Masai driver heartfelt thanks for personalising our experience in such a way that we still miss his humour ! He taught us so much about the psychology and the behaviour of all the animals we saw ( and we saw them all!) not to forget the Migration ! He knew where all the vantage positions in the Mara were to see so many animals . And all done with smile , grace and humour! THANK YOU LOLO!
Nick was also there to help out and was very much involved with the running of the camp .
Overall my experience at Naibor has been Par Excellence and remains a ' to revisit ' place definitely --- as long as Ken , Michelle , Nick and Lolo are still there .
Thanks guys for your awesome hospitality , your great sense of humour, your pastoral care and your perfect food and wine ! In other words ; DREAM TEAM !

Room Tip: Tents no 3 and 5 are particularly good !
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Naibor Camp? Share your experiences!