“Leleshwa is 10 stars!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Leleshwa Camp

You added Leleshwa Camp to your Saves list
Leleshwa Camp
C12 Keekorok - NE Masai Mara Reserve, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00200, Kenya   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Elyria, Ohio
“Leleshwa is 10 stars!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have read the other reviews, and they are so right: Leleshwa is a spectacular place to stay. David Kasura was our Guide, Rinka our tracker, and Simon is the Manager. They all worked overtime to make sure our stay was unparalleled. First, the tent for me and my daughter was beautiful. I had a king-sized bed the first night, and she had a twin. She kidded me about my "big bed", so when we got back from our first day out, we found they'd put in another king bed for her. We were stunned. The 5 days there were filled with great company (Simon and David), wonderful food, and pure luxury. We were at the end of our safari, so David and Rinka worked hard to make sure we saw different animals and had new experiences. They did a wonderful job. Everything was beautiful, and the one day of rest that we took was more to enjoy being in the camp than to just rest. The only time we saw other tourists was when we took the balloon ride, and we loved that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Finnish first
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Leleshwa Camp was a very unique and special experience. We stayed in four camps and a hotel and all were great but Leleshwa offered something very unique. We stayed for 5 nights at the end of our trip which was perfect because here we were able to walk and really spend a lot of time with the guides. Leleshwa is on a conservancy which allows more freedom to do walks and nightdrives and sundowners. Once we were there we did not do any drives except to get to and from our sundowners and walks. We were ready to listen to the quiet and learn about the land and smaller wildlife and just see what animals we would find on foot. While walking we happened upon giraffes, zebras, monkeys, baboons, antelopes of many kinds and wonderful birds.

The staff want you to do what you want to do and will explain the options and then make whatever your choice very special from bush lunches to sundowners to visiting the local school and village. There are only 7 tents so the experience is very personal. You can dine with everyone in a very well-appointed tent or have a dinner with white tablecloth and candles in the bush (a highlight for sure).

Our guide David Leshan was fabulous as was our Maasai escort, William. At dinner we talked about Kenyan, animals, life in villages and we learned a lot and became friends.

The food was fresh and plentiful and the chef allowed us to join him in the kitchen tent for some lessons which was fun.

Truly a very special experience.

Room Tip: The tents are very well appointed and bed is very comfortable. They wake you up with french press c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

I cannot fault anything in my time here it was just brilliant! I did the wildlife photography course over a weekend, had the whole camp to myself and had a fabulous time. I felt safe and secure all the time, the food was just delicious, the staff courteous, attentive and friendly.
Rinko was my spotter and he was great! I saw all the big five on day one, had wild open air breakfasts and lunches.... Sun downers were a treat! The chef was superb!
I enjoyed the course (shame my battery died and I didn't have a charger doh!)
I'll definitely be back! Highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2012
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I only stayed for one night en-route to my last property on my trip. I wasn't well at all due to a long day's travelling across land from the previous camp (a little sunstroke I think). The manager could not have looked after me any more; he made sure that I was comfortable, a guard was outside my tent all night in case i needed anything.

The next morning, we saw the photo suite - fantastic for keen photographers; great curio shop; lovely food; comfortable beds in the ten - I had a twin tent - it had a great shower. Fabulous breakfast which saw me through to the next camp.

I left my malaria medication behind and didn't realise until I go to the next camp. The driver went back and then returned it to me at the next camp. Couldn't ask for better service.

Room Tip: All rooms are as good as each other.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed here for two nights at the end of the safari phase of our honeymoon, and it was definitely the highlight of that part of the trip. The camp is set in a wonderful location, the tents are very spacious and well appointed, and the food is excellent. The owner, Mike, is very friendly and welcoming. However, what really sets this camp apart from other excellent camps we visited was the quality of the game drives we experienced whilst there. The staff, including our driver David, really know the area and the local wild-life, and were excellent at getting us close-up views of the big game. Their knowledge and off-road vehicles really let us explore the mara, spending most of the time away from the crowds of mini-vans. We couldn't recommend this camp more.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

You know what I love about this camp (besides everything)? It is the remoteness and authenticity! I've been to the Masai Mara three times now and as wonderful as it is throughout (and I highly recommend visitng there) you just cannot get away from the fact that other people are around. Leleshwa Camp allowed us to get off the beaten path, away from crowds right on the edge of the Masai Mara. It is set up in a private reserve and as we approached I almost couldn't even see the camp until I was fully in my tent; the seclusion and privacy and beauty is like no other place I've seen in the Mara. We did walking safaris, game drives and had the time of our lives. I'd recommend spending a few nights at Leleshwa for sure and maybe mix it with a few nights inside the Masai Mara Reserve itself to combine the seclusion of Leleshwa and the prolific--if sometimes crowded--wildlife viewing in the reserve.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Without doubt this was the best safari we have ever been on. Leleshwa camp and staff are excellent and the level of comfort, food, guides and flexibility would be hard to beat. Our host, Mike, was friendly and knowledgeable and made our short stay one that we will remember forever. No minibuses here!! but our own personal 4 x 4 Landcruiser and being on the Conservancy complete privacy to observe the animals without having to wait in line as you often do on the game parks. However when we did a full game drive in the Mara we saw all the big five thanks to our splendid quide, Nicholas and our spotter Kimarin. Their knowledge and friendliness made this a great trip. The accomodation was a large airy tent with the biggest bed I have ever seen. Have no reservations about going to this tented camp as the facilities are five star. You can make your own itinery whether you want a game drive, game walk, visit a genuine Masai village or just relax. The staff will make your visit just what you want, nothing is too much trouble. Thank you all for such a great holiday.

Room Tip: All tents are located in their own private area.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Leleshwa Camp? Share your experiences!