“Beautiful camp, amazing holiday experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Leleshwa Camp

Save Saved
You added Leleshwa Camp to your Saves list
Leleshwa Camp
C12 Keekorok - NE Masai Mara Reserve, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00200, Kenya   |
“Beautiful camp, amazing holiday experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

I cannot fault anything in my time here it was just brilliant! I did the wildlife photography course over a weekend, had the whole camp to myself and had a fabulous time. I felt safe and secure all the time, the food was just delicious, the staff courteous, attentive and friendly.
Rinko was my spotter and he was great! I saw all the big five on day one, had wild open air breakfasts and lunches.... Sun downers were a treat! The chef was superb!
I enjoyed the course (shame my battery died and I didn't have a charger doh!)
I'll definitely be back! Highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2012

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Finnish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I only stayed for one night en-route to my last property on my trip. I wasn't well at all due to a long day's travelling across land from the previous camp (a little sunstroke I think). The manager could not have looked after me any more; he made sure that I was comfortable, a guard was outside my tent all night in case i needed anything.

The next morning, we saw the photo suite - fantastic for keen photographers; great curio shop; lovely food; comfortable beds in the ten - I had a twin tent - it had a great shower. Fabulous breakfast which saw me through to the next camp.

I left my malaria medication behind and didn't realise until I go to the next camp. The driver went back and then returned it to me at the next camp. Couldn't ask for better service.

Room Tip: All rooms are as good as each other.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed here for two nights at the end of the safari phase of our honeymoon, and it was definitely the highlight of that part of the trip. The camp is set in a wonderful location, the tents are very spacious and well appointed, and the food is excellent. The owner, Mike, is very friendly and welcoming. However, what really sets this camp apart from other excellent camps we visited was the quality of the game drives we experienced whilst there. The staff, including our driver David, really know the area and the local wild-life, and were excellent at getting us close-up views of the big game. Their knowledge and off-road vehicles really let us explore the mara, spending most of the time away from the crowds of mini-vans. We couldn't recommend this camp more.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

You know what I love about this camp (besides everything)? It is the remoteness and authenticity! I've been to the Masai Mara three times now and as wonderful as it is throughout (and I highly recommend visitng there) you just cannot get away from the fact that other people are around. Leleshwa Camp allowed us to get off the beaten path, away from crowds right on the edge of the Masai Mara. It is set up in a private reserve and as we approached I almost couldn't even see the camp until I was fully in my tent; the seclusion and privacy and beauty is like no other place I've seen in the Mara. We did walking safaris, game drives and had the time of our lives. I'd recommend spending a few nights at Leleshwa for sure and maybe mix it with a few nights inside the Masai Mara Reserve itself to combine the seclusion of Leleshwa and the prolific--if sometimes crowded--wildlife viewing in the reserve.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Without doubt this was the best safari we have ever been on. Leleshwa camp and staff are excellent and the level of comfort, food, guides and flexibility would be hard to beat. Our host, Mike, was friendly and knowledgeable and made our short stay one that we will remember forever. No minibuses here!! but our own personal 4 x 4 Landcruiser and being on the Conservancy complete privacy to observe the animals without having to wait in line as you often do on the game parks. However when we did a full game drive in the Mara we saw all the big five thanks to our splendid quide, Nicholas and our spotter Kimarin. Their knowledge and friendliness made this a great trip. The accomodation was a large airy tent with the biggest bed I have ever seen. Have no reservations about going to this tented camp as the facilities are five star. You can make your own itinery whether you want a game drive, game walk, visit a genuine Masai village or just relax. The staff will make your visit just what you want, nothing is too much trouble. Thank you all for such a great holiday.

Room Tip: All tents are located in their own private area.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Leleshwa Camp has managed to find the balance between a real safari in Africa with all the comfort you would expect in a top-end hotel. If you have chosen to go on safari you have opted for a holiday with a difference. You want, and Leleshwa succeeds where so many fail in giving you a genuine experience without having to rough it. To be honest, when I first looked at the camp website I was somewhat concerned that it was too pretentious, that I would be expected to dress up for dinner and that the "rawness" of Africa would be diluted within a Westernized environment that just happened to be situated within one of the world's greatest wildlife areas. The camp is very well furnished with high quality yet functional items, and tasteful without going over the top accessories, it shouts quality whilst encouraging you to enjoy it.

The camp is not within the Mara National Park, it is located within a well-kept conservancy, itself home to a huge range of East African mammals. Sundowners, on our first evening in camp was shared with a breeding herd of 40+ elephants! The Mara itself, is of course the main attraction and full day game drives into the park are an integral component of your safari. The drive into the Mara is uncomfortable, but the rewards are high and easily outweigh the discomfort. At the end of day arriving back at camp you are greeted with hot or cold towels (depending on the time of day) to wipe away the safari dust.

The Leleshwa kitchen is excellent, a wide range of dishes well prepared and presented, forms a part of your game drives too. There is nothing that beats sitting in the middle of a game reserve having breakfast. The sun begins to warm you, your original impression that there is absolutely no wildlife in the vicinity changes within minutes as the tapestry in front of you evolves, and your driver and spotter recount endless stories from the bush. There are times when you feel that there is no one else on the planet but you. In the Mara however you are never completely alone and particularly during the migration there are "herds" of white minivans wherever the Big Five are!

This is for me where Leleshwa comes into its own. You set the pace, you define what you want and when you want it...and to a large degree how you want it! If you have never been to Africa and want to see every possible mammal you can, your driver will accommodate you. On the other hand, if you want to escape completely and see whatever happens to be where you are, sit in a lugga, by a river or under a giant acacia for the whole day not seeing another human being then they will find your refuge.

The tents are light, spacious and contain everything you need from gowns and slippers to Cinnabar Green bath products. Being well spaced from other tents gives you a real sense of privacy and of being "in the bush". There is every likelihood that you will wake in the night to the sounds of a hyena "laughing" or the roar of a lion and know that they could be metres from where you are sleeping! This is Africa at its best.

The staff of Leleshwa are fabulous, offering you real service with a genuine smile when you need it without overcrowding you.

Why book a safari at Leleshwa? I hope that Mike (Owner/Manager) will not mind me plagiarizing his words..."To see Africa through an African's eyes". Yes, you will see more animals and birds than you can imagine but more importantly, you can experience Africa, the good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly.

To Mike and the Leleshwa team - "Thank you for making dreams a reality"

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I love Safari, I have done for 20 years, and I have now found my new home. I have the great privilege to live in Kenya and as such have visited many camps in different areas; this is the place to go if you want a camp that has it all.

First, location: Situated in the Siana conservancy it is within a stones throw of the Mara, this gives it a true safari camp feel, you are not surrounded by other camps jostling for position and adding to the light pollution at night, at night it’s night, no lights to be seen and just the sounds of the African bush. The conservancy has it all, if you are looking for the big 5, they are here. If you want to be a bit more adventurous you can hike in the hills, have a sundowner with the Elephants or visit the true Masaai, not a tourist attraction that has been especially set up but real people going about THEIR real day-to-day activities.

Second, camp: Leleshwa is an extremely comfortable camp, almost like visiting a good friends home, nothing is too much trouble, there is not a one size fits all solution. Our hosts Mike and Gary were both personable and professional, within minutes of arriving at camp we were all chatting like we had known each other for years.

We were upgraded to a “SUITE” tent, as it was our wedding anniversary, it was excellent, for the first time since I was 17 I have slept in a bed where my feet don’t hang over the edge. I’m 6ft 4in, the bed is 7ft x 7ft. With only 7 tents it is small and intimate, each tent situated well apart from each other and you truly feel that you are in the bush, this is no Disneyland make believe, this is AFRICA!

Food was excellent without being over the top. Well prepared and thought out, and if you get the chance have the chocolate soufflé. The meals that were prepared for our game drives were equally excellent and varied.

If I had to use a word to best describe Leleshwa I would struggle. I hate the word luxurious, it masks many sins, look at our fancy food and flashy decor, but please ignore the fact that we dump our waste into the land and river. You will not find that attitude here, there are ethics running behind the scene here too, the camp is staffed with locals, they support a local school and they recycle as much as possible. There is a soul to Leleshwa, this is not a cash cow, this is a way of life.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Leleshwa Camp? Share your experiences!