“Totally exceeded expectations...just incredible!” 5 of 5 stars

Olare Orok Conservancy, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00502, Kenya   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Totally exceeded expectations...just incredible!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Its difficult to know where to start when describing Bush Camp and the local conservancy. I booked a weeks trip there after speaking to a work colleague who has been to Bush Camp 9 times before. Her feedback was fantastic on the camp, the wildlife and the camp managers Darren and Emma so I was already going with high expectations. It was a pleasure to finally meet them both and it is safe to say that words fail to describe just what you experience when you get there.

I have previously travelled to Kenya on safari but the game viewing was a totally different class. There are lots of cats and I was lucky enough to see lions and leopards with kills and on one day witnessed two cheetah hunts including a successful chase and kill. Every time I thought there couldnt be anything more to see, the guides found something else incredible. However, what really seperates this experience from others is the amount of time you get to spend on your own with the wildlife. It is impossible to describe just how magical it is to sit there with your guide and a leopard or pride of lions, without any other jeeps around.

The camp is wonderful, only 6 tents and run in a really sustainable way. Emma and Darren are so welcoming and do everything they can to ensure that your stay is wonderful. I have a wheat and dairy allergy and the kitchen staff always produced something delicious to eat and made an effort to come up with a range of desserts at dinner time. The tents are very well set up and the entire team are so friendly and helpful.

I cant recommend Bush Camp highly enough and if you only ever go on one safari, this should be it! Thank you Emma and Darren for a truely wonderful week and I hope I can make it back there soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

289 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I love Kicheche Bush Camp. I have written reviews for KBC before and I still feel the
need to reiterate how perfect it is. KBC is in a beautiful location (the Olare Motorogi Conservancy) with an abundance of wildlife right there on your doorstep. It is also very close to the reserve when you want to go there (the conservancy borders the reserve and KBC is near the border). The tents are well spaced (there are only 6), very comfortable with ensuite (toilet, cold running water and a hot bucket shower set up). But the thing that makes KBC really stand out from its competitors is the quality of the staff. Darren and Emma are superb hosts; the camp staff are professional, friendly and attentive (your every need to accommodated); the guides are, quite simply, the best in the Mara area and go above and beyond to make sure that guests are seeing all they can during their stay; the chef and other kitchen staff are amazing. As I say, I love KBC. You should definitely visit.

Room Tip: All tents are the same I believe (3 on each side of the mess tent). I suppose you may have more gam...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I go to Kicheche bush camp when I really need some R and R, and at other times too. I know of nowhere else where my batteries are recharged so magnificently starting with the morning alarm call when Daniel walks down the path gently saying good morning and I know carrying my tray of coffee to set me up for the game drive. All the guides are amazing and I never want to request one so I don't upset others that I have driven with previously. They know the animals, where to look for the leopards, which cheetah is pregnant and can seem to find lions and elephants to demand.
The chefs are terrific both for picnics and meals in camp and as for the bread baker well I wish he lived down the road. I am still raving about the aubergine bake.
Darren and Emma were born to do the job they are doing. They are fantastic hosts and nothing is too much trouble. They also have a great sense of humour.
I could have escaped the fact that the world cup was happening but on request Daniel brought me an overnight update each morning with my coffee tray. Now that's service.
Trip advisor won't let me delete my accidental rating for pool and Fitness centre.......there is neither.
I will be back

Room Tip: The tents are identical, beautifully furnished with a flush loo. Perfect
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Bush Camp is one of my favourite places in the world.
You immediately relax with such incredible surroundings, Darren and Emma's warmth and humour and the team who make everything run smoothly and nothing is too much trouble.
James guided us this time and as usual was fantastic - great positioning for photography, very knowledgeable and lots of fun.
My advice for what it is worth, is 1)come any time of the year they are open - the cats are always there and it's so much nicer in off peak periods when there are so few vehicles and 2) come for longer than a couple of nights!
We were already trying to work out when we're coming back before our last game drive.... :)

Room Tip: all six tents are set out the same!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We were honored to be Kicheche Bush Camp's first set of guests arriving for the new season in Jun2014! Throughout our 3-night stay, we were blown away by the generous hospitality of Emma, Darren, their cute dog-Bing, and the team of wonderful camp staff! Off the airport strip, we were greeted by Charles-our guide. He's the best guide we have had! As another reviewer noted, Kicheche Camps have highly qualified and certified guides who know everything about wildlife, plants and geography in the region. Charles has keen eyes to spot all movements that untrained eyes do not normally pick up. His trusts in other animals' behavioral cues and patience to scan around rewarded us with spotting hidden animals! The conservancy has lots of wildlife. We saw lions, leopard, jackals, bat-eared foxes, hyenas, leopard tortoises, wild cat (which we were told are rare to see), hippos, cape buffalos, elephants, zebras, giraffes, wildebeests, etc. Kicheche Bush hosts yearly returning professional photography teams at their camps. Thus, all their guides have great experience working with professional photographers. Charles would always ask if we were getting great pictures we wanted and often suggested moving the vehicle to a different angle to view the animals or different direction to capture beautiful lighting. If you're interested in photography, it's fantastic to have a guide who anticipates your needs.

Upon arriving at the camp, we were greeted by our hosts-Emma and Darren. They are friendly, interesting and genuine people, who make you feel welcome and comfortable at the instant you meet them. The tent was spacious, clean, comfortable and has everything you need. Nothing beats having Joseph - the housekeeping staff - to bring us hot water for bucket showers at the end of everyday, hot water bottle for warming the bed at night, and coffee, biscuits & hot water in the morning before sunrise! Kennedy, Abraham, William and the kitchen staff work tirelessly to prepare and serve us wonderful food from their kitchen tent in the back. We love the arrangement to have breakfasts out in the bush. We stopped at different spots every morning, had a big spread of delicious breakfast served in the shade under some tree with amazing views.

We had lovely intimate conversations with Emma and Darren during our stay. They are attentive to our needs, and genuinely interested in hearing about our days and us as individuals. They gave us a little tour of their behind-the-scene operation. Hats off to them for running a camp with a team in a remote area with environmental concerns at heart, while providing a wonderful experience to guests!

Our best wishes to Charles on his Gold level guide exam later this year, and to Kicheche Bush Camp for a successful season! We hope this won't be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us, as we plan to return again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Gurgaon, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed at Kicheche Bush Camp for two nights during our maiden trip to Kenya. The camp is super luxurious with amazing food, comfortable beds and hot water on demand which is what you crave most after an adventurous but tiring safari. The location is in a conservatory so the best of Mara wildlife is literally at your door step, and the best part of being in the conservatory is that you do not see large number of vehicles. We had several occasions when we were the only jeep in middle of lions, elephants, zebras and more. The hosts are amazing and always willing to help. Sitting under the glistening stars after dinner and sharing your stories from the day is one of the best experiences of your life. We would come back here for sure!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Kicheche camps are nice, but what really got me was all of their guides. I stayed at all four Kicheche camps and every guide was "silver rated" - which is sort of the equivalent to having a masters degree in guiding. Camps are each managed by a couple, which makes for a really great, intimate experience. I only had one night at Bush camp, but I recommend AT LEAST two nights.

Camps are laid out in a row with the lounge in the middle. If you want more privacy, choose one that is far out, however you will have to walk quite a distance.

Room Tip: Camps are laid out in a row with the lounge in the middle. If you want more privacy, choose one that...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Kicheche Bush Camp? Share your experiences!