“More glamping than camping” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mara Siria Camp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maasai Mara National Reserve
Mara Siria Camp
C14 Kerekorok - Siria Escarpment Masai Mara Reserve-, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00621, Kenya   |
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“More glamping than camping”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Had a three week holiday in Kenya and Malawi and we stayed at Mara Siria at the start of our trip.Double beds,wc and showers and hot water bottles(nice touch).We stayed in two of the deluxe tents and I thought they were brilliant.
Joel the manager and his team could not do enough for you.I loved our surprise bush breakfast.We loved it as did our kids.The stars at night were amazing.Cannot fault this place.Our guide was brilliant also(Paul).
Plunge pool overlooking the Mara was a view to die for.Only downside was we missed the migration river crossing by a day.

Room Tip: Pick a deluxe one as they are fab.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I cant say enough about the Mara Siria Camp and what a wonderful experience I had - from the prompt and personal responses I got to my inquiries by the owner (who is an amazingly kind and knowledgeable man), to the incredible staff at the camp. I am beyond impressed that the entire camp functions on solar energy (in addition to all the other challenges of running an amazing camp in the middle of the masai mara). I was traveling alone for a weekend getaway from work and was nervous initially to go alone, but I never felt alone for a second. The staff will take care of any need you might have! I have traveled around the world for my job for the past ten years and I can say quite honestly that the service and genuine care the team has for their patrons makes it an amazing experience! ps - ask for Paul for your safari!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Davis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Mara Siria is a nearly perfect safari experience. The accommodations are comfortable and open to the great views of the Mara. The tents are well separated from each other. All the amenities are there except piped water to the tents - so you have to give notice for a hot shower. (A triviality). The food is fine, or great considering the supply challenges. Service throughout is wonderful. In fact we wished they would back off a little at meals. Safari guides are really top notch. Ask for Paul. The 20 minute drive up the track from the plain to the escarpment edge to the camp is unbelievably rough. It was hard to take after a long day out in on the plain.

The following criticism effectively evaporates once one arrives at the camp; the website is spare on details. For instance the luxury tents are a lower value than the deluxe. But these terms are distinctions without difference in English. Since no prices are listed one does not know what you are buying. The reservation process with Safari Tours is frustrating because one can't get answers to specific questions, or commitments regarding a particular tent, or any other special request. They ask for all the money up front but provide very weak documentation.

Room Tip: Number 6 is the "honeymoon tent" because of the view and isolation from other tents. There...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

What can I say except that my experience was phenomenal. From personalized attention during the booking process, fabulous accomodation, friendly, helpful staff, and an INCREDIBLE guide, my safari adventure was perfect. I plan to recommend Mara Siria to everyone I know and hopefully I will be able to come back and visit again someday in the future.
The site is set on hilltop with a spectacular view of the Mara. Zebras and giraffe are frequent the camp area so it feels like the safari experience continues even after the game drives are over.
The friendly staff are accomodating but not intrusive and really make you feel welcome. Paul was my safari guide and he was absolutely, hands down one of the best guides I have ever had on any vacation. He is so knowledgeable and taught me so much about the animals I saw. Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Without doubt my favourite place to stay when on safari. The staff are wonderful, they are polite and friendly, the food is excellent and nicely varied. The drivers, ours was Jesse, were knowledgable and interesting and most of all the setting and the wildlife were superb. You must try and stay here if you can!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We booked our Safari through a travel agent in Nairobi, Phoenix Safari (not helpful & informative enough) and stayed in the Mara Siria Camp.
3 nights under the stars, this beautiful camp is situated along the ridge 1000ft overlooking the Mara plain. each tent is sparsely spaced from each other with an environmental understanding encompassed with the natural surroundings. There are no fences, as is the way of the Masai people, so you may hear wild animals near your tent grazing at night which made for some excitement.
There is a Plunge pool built into the rock face & heated by the masonary with a Safari shower nearby to warm up or cool down depending.
The food served, by our very entertaining Maitrede Maurice was piping hot, exquisite & locally sourced. There was an additional cost for soft drinks & alcohol which I wouldn't consume if your are taking a prescription of Malerone; we found out a day or two after our trip after a night on the sauce in Nairobi.
Joel, the camp managed took care of us and our arrangement most warmly & the camps naturalist, Leshau provided very interesting facts & information about the Masai people & the surrounding nature on our Nature walk, an addition cost of $10 pp.
Definitely a place I would love to visit again, especially with its exceptional location & wonderful wildlife to discover nearby.
Asante sana rafiki

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Mara Siria Camp is situated on top of a hill in the northern part of the park, right by the Mara Triangle. It has, by far, one of the most (if not THE most) breathtaking view of Masai Mara. The staff was wonderful and we were treated like kings by everyone we met.

The tent was large, spacious and well maintained. There are “normal” toilets in the tent but no other running water. Not that we missed it! Remember, this camp is situated in the middle of the Masai Mara, far from any large city. Still my wife, our two daughters (7 & 8 yrs old) and I were more than satisfied. The staff would warm up water for our showers and fresh drinking water was placed in bottles in our tent. If you’re hot you can take a dip in the small pool. I have never experienced a better view from a pool.

There is no fence around the camp and so now and again we were greeted by wild animals such as zebras and impalas along with a wide variety of birds. After dark, a masai takes you to dinner and back for your safety. If it is the first time in Mara, it is good to know that evenings can get cold. Therefore, it was wonderful to find that the staff had placed warm water bottles in our beds during dinner.

The safari was amazing and we had a picnic by the Serengeti border, organized by the camp and our guide to make up for the fact that we arrived at the camp later than expected the previous day due to heavy rains. The second day we took a hot air balloon over the savanna and had breakfast with elephants walking around us. Amazing!

This camp proved to be so much more than we had ever expected (and I have lived 4 years in Kenya). Our only disappointment was the fact that we had only booked two nights and not four. We could easily have stayed longer, even a day without a safari, simply enjoying the wonder view, a good book and a drink as the sun sets behind dry horizon.

A great big thank you to Iris and Phoenix Safari for helping to organize this wonderful trip. We will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mara Siria Camp? Share your experiences!