“A Good Quality Medium Budget Luxury Tented Camp In The Mara” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mara Siria Camp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maasai Mara National Reserve
Mara Siria Camp
Save Saved
You added Mara Siria Camp to your Saves list
C14 Kerekorok - Siria Escarpment Masai Mara Reserve-, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00621, Kenya   |
New Delhi
“A Good Quality Medium Budget Luxury Tented Camp In The Mara”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Spent four nights at Mara Siria just before Christmas 2011. Our tent #6 had a wonderful view looking over the Mara Plain just like the main camp. In its own private location, the tent was fairly well appointed with a comfortable bed and an attached ensuite with wash basins, flush toilet and a shower. There was power at the tent for lights during the night with hot water bottles to take the chill off cold nights. Given 20 minutes notice the staff would prepare hot water for a shower.

The first few days of our visit saw the camp relatively quiet with only about three of the tents occupied, the last few days saw 36 new guests arriving. Considering the two different dynamics at the camp the staff were able to react and keep the same high level of service. The food was tasty and the service quick.

Some reviewers have had mixed reviews of the location, outside of the park and up a rough steep road to the top of the escarpment. If you think you would be put off by this, then probably it would not be the best place to stay, that being said the views as noted earlier are outstanding and you get to see wildlife that others don't by climbing that hill. On different trips we were treated to herds of about 15 giraffes, many dik diks, impalas, baboons and jackals.

The little plunge pool that they have installed is cute and has some fantastic views and really any place at or near the Mara is heaven. If possible, try to get a tent near the escarpment that permits great morning and evening views. All in all, Mara Siria is a very good camp and would be a good choice for travellers in the Mara.

As far as the Mara, it is hard to go wrong, December is a bit tricky as the grass is a bit high, but still lots to see and yes we were fortunate to see all the big five... :)

Room Tip: Ask for a tent with a view of the escarpment if possible otherwise walks can take a bit.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I had an amazing time in the Maasai Mara. This was my first safari, so I don't have any other camps to compare Mara Siria to, but in terms of value for money, I couldn't really ask for more.
I had stunning game-drives. The staff was very helpful in accommodating my personal preferences especially in terms of the time of the drives.
The tents are more luxurious than I expected. I didn't think a tent could provide such comfort in the middle of the bush. The fact that there is no running water, didn't bother me, as the staff filled up the tents reservoir with hot water on demand. So you can practically take a shower any time if you wanted.
If you want to keep an emphasis on nature and don't need infinity pools and electric fences in the midst of the bush, this is the right choice for you.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I just got back from a trip to the Maasai Mara and can confidently say that the Mara Siria camp is the best camp you could stay at in the Mara. You will see review by people moaning about the bad roads and long drives but this is the bush and comes with the territory (literally!). Thanks to the bad rains this year the roads are a bit worse for wear, but it's an adventure travelling up and down the mountain to get to the camp or down to the park itself for a game drive.

The camp really is luxury - it's like a 5 star hotel but with tents instead of rooms. We stayed in tents 5 and 6 which had some of the most spectacular views of the rift valley. In a double tent you get a king sized bed (2 mattresses and duvets along with blankets and hot water bottles when it gets cold!). An en suite bathroom with two wash basins, amenities, a flushing toilet and a gravity fed shower (which is filled with hot water each evening on return from safari).

The camp is not enclosed so you will be escorted through the camp after dark -we saw zebra at night in the middle of the camp! Recent additions are the plunge pool which is right on the edge of a cliff so gives a fantastic panoramic view of the valley below. There are plenty of other activities besides a safari too such as a visit to the Maasai village or mountain biking etc.

The food is absolutely out of this world - I've actually had worse food at city hotels so the quality and variety of food was a massive surprise.
Peter (or the 'minister of stomach' as he's otherwise known) is an absolute legend and will make food to order as per your liking. Main meals consist of meat, potatoes and vegetables and breakfasts include continental, pancakes and cooked! As a food lover this was a highlight for me.

The views from the main tent area are a sight to behold. I got up to see the sunrise each day which I would highly recommend doing from the main tent as you get a fantastic panoramic view of the sun rising over the rift valley below.

The safari trips (run by Phoenix) were excellent - we saw a whole plethora of animals and our driver had people in the know who called in with sightings of lions and elephants etc. The only bad point was getting stuck in the mud for 3 hours in the heat of the day due to the heavy rains. This can be avoided by making sure the vehicle you go out on has the correct tyres (ours should have had mud tyres considering the recent weather!). The best driver we had was Emmanuel. The rest of the staff at the camp were very friendly and were dedicated to making our trip enjoyable.

In conclusion if you are looking for an authentic Maasai Mara experience including all of the lumps and bumps of a real safari, and if you want to be able to return home to an oasis of peace, calm and luxury each evening I would strongly recommend booking a place at the Mara Siria Luxury Tented Bush Camp in the Maasai Mara.

Room Tip: Ask for a tent with a view - 5 and 6 are good!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

The staff at the hotel are very friendly and funny. The location has great views and the tents are good. I had been warned about the food - not good. So overall, good, but room for improvement.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Westerham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I have tried this several times, but after writing the text, each time I would then try to upload photos, the app would crash, so now writing with Word and then lets hope…

This was our Silver (25th) wedding anniversary trip and my 5th, my wife’s 4th and our children’s 1st trip to Kenya and Massai Mara.

To start this off right, this was our BEST trip to Kenya !! One of the main reasons is that a good school friend of mine was in Kenya for 10 years. When our anniversary approached I asked him for some tips and I was pointed to Phoenix Safaris. Phoenix Safaris is run by a German Pair who decided after their tenure in Kenya to stay and they built a High quality travel and Safari Service. As you would expect the organization was perfect, planned and executed in detail, which if you know Africa is quite difficult to achieve.
The area of Massai Mara also seems to have much more wildlife than the other areas we had been to. We were once there during migration which is an experience, but the number of buffalo, Lion, Elephant and Cheetah families we saw was incredible. Also seeing them hunting (successful and not). We had the Big Four already on our first day, missing only the Leopard which we saw the tail of many times, but not more. We completed the Big Five with a full Leopard sighting then in Nakuru.

We travelled on Christmas Eve via Cairo to Nairobi and were picked up at 5am Christmas Day by our Driver and Guide Richard, and during the several hour drive to Mara Siria Camp, experienced the rough roads of Kenya outside of towns and also already Richard’s awesome driving skills.
We had booked our own offroader and driver, which afterwards turned out to be a great decision, being able to take breakfast or lunch in the Serengeti with breathtaking views.
Africa…the scenery addicts you, which is why we were there already so often.
We stayed in a Family tent which was a bit tight inside for us four, but we were there only to sleep anyway. After a full day of game drive coming back and being able to take a hot shower was really an experience. On the road back Richard would ask us how many showers we would like (it was always four…) and by the time we were back in the camp our shower water was prepared (this was all solar heated, but needed to be cooled to shower temps). The water was filled into big sacks from the outside of our tent, heaved up to about 3m height and then we could shower with gravity creating the water pressure…(on one of the pics you can see on the left side the apparatus).
Breakfasts, Lunches (even the Lunch packs to take along with us) Dinners were delicious.
Richard: Our driver was an experienced scout and driver, also with the right distance to customers. He would bubble with information when asked.
Our Massai guard and story teller Lishuu (I am sure I misspelled) would tell (and discuss) with the residents pre-dinner on Massai tradition and the challenges they have with civilization (as we call it) effecting their tribe.
Service was excellent in the entire camp. It is perfectly organized…
A BIG BIG thanks to Phoenix Safaris who also manage Mara Siria Luxury Tented Camp.

Room Tip: Book Early to get a Family or upscaled tent
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Emblem, Antwerpen, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Jambo

I just got back from a lovely stay at the Mara Siria Luxury Tented Bush Camp.
It was the most enjoyable vacation thanks to the very friendly staff en especially through the good care of driver Paul. I recommend it to all my friends and family!
I'll try to come back next year!

Kind regards
Els Claes

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Invercargill, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I'm a repeat visitor and was thrilled with the genuine welcome from the friendly faces I remember so well from my previous visit with my daughter. It was truly a homecoming. The contrast with the big impersonal 'posh' lodges couldn't be more complete. Yet there is nothing lacking in the comfort of the tents, the quality of the food, and the expertise of the tour guides. Being outside the boundary of the park means you can have an early morning walk - I saw plenty of game while on foot with a local guide. This is a great place to interact with nature, and with people on the ground.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Mara Siria Camp? Share your experiences!