“Quiet serene atmosphere sitting atop the Mara” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mara Siria Camp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maasai Mara National Reserve
Mara Siria Camp
You added Mara Siria Camp to your Saves list
C14 Kerekorok - Siria Escarpment Masai Mara Reserve-, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00621, Kenya   |
Nairobi, Kenya
“Quiet serene atmosphere sitting atop the Mara”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Recently returned from a stay at the Mara Siria. I like quiet small places and sought this out after realising that so many lodges and camps on the Mara catered for very large numbers of people whilst this only had a dozen tents/rooms. It turned out to be perfect for me - quiet, great atmosphere and wonderful views of the Mara. The tents are excellent - simple but beautiful and roomy; well spaced so you feel on your own at your tent.
Staff were excellent - Joel and his team provided good quitely efficient camp management, Moses was a font of knowledge both on local customs and the flora around the camp. Frances our driver enhanced my personal experience with his knowledge of bird life.
I really liked the atmosphere and despite others comments I did find that I could wander around on my own with my binoculars, although for longer walks they did insist that you take a member of staff with you.
The only drawback for me was that despite being off season there was a fair number of vehicles in the reserve. I think that this is a result of Kenya's success with tourism and particularly the Mara, and there are many camps and lodges around this part of the Mara. However we did see an amazing amount of wildlife. Seeing the wildebeest migration I am sure is spectacular but for me it was good to be there off season and relatively quieter.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Just got back from a trip to Mara Siria with my two young sons (age 6 and 8), their teenaged cousins (15 and 16) and my aunt and uncle. All four generations found the trip to be astounding. The location is breathtaking--sitting on the bench at the edge of the camp, looking down onto the Mara from the top of the escarpment, I felt like the whole world was laid out before me. The gentle staff were extremely considerate and good-natured, and our Masai guide Moses, who took us on a two-hour hike down into the valley, was a font of knowledge about local plants and animals. Our driver, John, was an experienced professional who took us on game drives where we saw lions, elephants, giraffes, hippos, hyenas, ostriches, vultures, buffalo, warthogs, gazelles, and a cheetah, all up close and personal. The tents were clean and comfortable, the food was expertly prepared, and the grounds of the camp are thoughtfully tended without feeling over-manicured. I can't imagine a better place to experience the Masai Mara.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

Mara Siria offers unparalleled views over the Masai Mara for breakfast, but there are aspects of the camp that offer room for improvement. As other reviewers have mentioned, the regime at the camp expects clients to follow a fairly rigid schedule. It's not the sort of place where you can stroll down for a sundowner, or wander about with a camera.

In part, this is due to the boneheadedness of previous guests who have managed to wander clean out of the camp's boundaries to find themselves face to face with elephants but it would perhaps be nice if there was a more relaxed atmosphere in camp.

The food is good, without being exceptional, but again it's worth remembering that you're a long way out in the bush. The opportunity for watching wildlife from the camp itself is limited as there's no adjacent watering hole. A baby eland frequents the site but that's about it.

I'd recommend the camp but were I travelling again, I'd personally look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Only one of the large tents has a view of theMara
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

My early-70's in-laws and my husband and I stayed for two nights at the Mara Siria Bush Camp, having booked through Dipa Shaw of Phoenix Travels in Nairobi. Our driver and guide, Silas, was a gem, and truly gave us a beautiful experience, and all of Joel's camp personnel were very friendly and helpful. I got the impression that our tents, 13 and 14, were fairly recent additions toward the edge of the camp, and they were lovely -- super clean, very comfortable, and wonderfully peaceful. Zebras were grazing right outside our tent in the middle of the first night -- how cool is that!

The first evening was clear and cool, and dinner was served at tables on the lawn overlooking the Mara River plain below with stars above. It was raining the second evening, so dinner was served in a nice, dry, cozy pavilion (I got the impression it was relatively new) on our side of the camp below our tents. We enjoyed the meals very much. There was a fire circle near the pavilion, but since it was drizzly both nights, no-one requested a campfire.

To the reviewer who complained about the escort to their tents right after dinner, I would just like to remind everyone that we are guests in a very wild area, and our hosts undoubtedly are wiser than we. We had plenty of time to linger, and after a full day, it was nice to snuggle into bed with the hot water bottle Patric had tucked under the covers.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Hereford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Staying at Mara Siria camp was amazing i - it was a great 1st safari experience.for myself and 4 girlfriends .- This camp was wonderful, a hidden gem( thank goodness) . The staff were great ,especially the Manager Joel ,Peter the master of the stomach George our room steward and Juddy the only female member of staff ! (we had our own driver John & truck from Phoenix ) the tents were very comfortable and spacious , and the social areas were very welcoming. The hot water bottles were a welcome touch, especially as the first night we were caught in a storm . Thank you George .We stayed here for 2 nights of a 2 week holiday - and the food was, fantastic for the limited facilities they had . I know I will happily return here again. Get up early, sit looking at the view and listen to the bush wake up around you....and the sun rise over the Mara below. Then off on safari returning to a fabulous breakfast .Really - what can beat that???? The atmosphere in the camp is very friendly and all staff were extremely helpful, charging camera & mobile phone batteries and looking after a group of 5 ladies of a certain age .......We ate, laughed and slept our way through the 2 nights 3 days.
The tables were beautifully set,. Did I mention how good the food was???!!! I highly recommend staying at this camp. When you're here - be sure and have Leshown? sit down & tell you about the Maasai way of life, we learned a lot .
if you want a delux safari "camp" experience at a very reasonable price - this is it!

My ratings for this hotel

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

A trip of a lifetime, the Camp was more than we expected, all the staff were very attentive & pleasant and the views of the Mara from the campsite were absolutely amazing. The food was very good & plentiful, complements to the chef. The safari was a dream come true for us, we got to see a lot of animals especially my favourites, lions and cheetahs. A holiday we'll never forget.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Mara Siria view fabulous and staff excellent
food good
its location is ecellent and also being a small camp not commercialised and eco-friendly

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Mara Siria Camp? Share your experiences!