You know the place was special the moment they gathered you for the landing strip. Cottar’s which sit just outside the Mara is a beautiful open landscape on the boarder of Kenya and Tanzania. The wildlife was present at all hours of the day and it didn’t take more than 30 min into our drive back from the strip before stumbling on a pride of lions keeping cool in the shade.
This is a special place you will have to see to truly believe. Cottar’s was the second stop on our honeymoon. We felt so blessed by the accommodations and service of our previous location we didn’t think you could top it. Cottar’s did! The tents and grounds were incredible and it truly took you back to a different era. They greeted you with a team of people to help settle you into your stay and they look for every opportunity to make your trip special (for us it was an upgrade into the grand honeymoon tent, not charge). The family style dinners at large tables in the main tent were a treat in the evening. We enjoyed sundowners before every meal and shared stories with the group of our adventures of the day. We were usually treated to tall tails by Douglas of past trips that had funny or sometimes unusual ending.
The team of guides works so well together at Cottar’s. Mixing a seasoned guide with the right social elements with a true tribesmen to give you a well rounded experience. We went on safari for the animals and the experience of the open planes of Africa, but we go so much more. We got an education on the habitat, animals, history and culture of the land. This was truly an eye opening experience for us. It also helped that we had a Gold certified guide to show us around (Cottar’s has 3 of the 12 total Gold guides in Kenya).
Everyone at Cottar’s helped make our stay special and if the opportunity presents itself in the future we will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Cottar Safari tradition began in 1919. Nearly 90 years on, we continue to provide an unparalleled safari experience to discerning clients in Africa. Extending an era of luxury and quality, we return to the original spirit and essence of "safari", reminiscent of a golden era; an era of romance, professional guiding, adventure and elegance. Situated in the Masai Mara, in an untouched exclusive concession bordering the Serengeti and Loliondo reserves, the area guarantees privacy and an abundance of wildlife. The camp accommodates up to 22 guests in authentic white canvas tents, which are spacious and luxuriously furnished. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Cottar's 1920's Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cottar`s Camp 1920`s Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Cottar's 1920's Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve