Tour : KENYA SAFARI & BEACH RESORT from Dec 15 to 28, 2012.
After reading the great tripadviser reviews on 'Gamewatchers Safari', I emailed them (GS) with my requirements. I received a prompt reply from Robyn and it was the start of many email exchanges. Since this was our first trip to Kenya, we left it to Robyn to chalk out the itinerary, based on, of course, our requirements; and, boy, did she do a good job! She gave us a plan as follows:
i) Hotel Serena, Nairobi : 2 nights
ii) Amboselli Porini Camp : 2 nights
iii) Sunbird Lodge, Lake Nokuru : 2 nights
iv) Mara Porini Camp : 3 nights
v) Hotel Pinewood Village, Galu Beach : 5 nights
Apart from booking us as above, she also arranged airport pickup & drop, domestic flights, game drives....everything, the TOTAL package. You do not have to do anything! The entire trip clicked like clockwork.
HOTEL SERENA: A good & clean, friendly staff, great food & good location.
AMBOSELLI & MARA PORINI CAMPS: Porini in Maasai language means 'in the wilderness'. If you are looking for 'four/five star' luxuries, then the Porini Camps are not for you. The tents are very basic but clean & comfortable. Food is simple, fresh & wholesome. Most of the staff are local Maasais who are very friendly with great sense of humor. They go out of their way to make you feel at home and are very obliging. The guide & driver are knowledgable and can talk for hours on the local fauna & flora. They worked very hard to track the 'big five' and were very successful. We saw 22 lions and lost count of elephants, rhinos, wild buffalos, giraffes, zebras, wilde beests, antelopes, wart hogs, baboons and birds. Were not lucky with cheetahs...just few of them. Were totally unlucky with leopards... not even one; very shy creatures!
SUNBIRD LODGE, Lake Nokuru: A great lodge with all the comforts you can think of. However try to avoid the cottages near the swimming pool because you have to climb over 50 steps to go to the lounge & dining area. Stephen was our driver & guide who drove us from Nairobi to this lodge and took us around Lake Nokuru Park which is great for flamingos, elephants, rhinos, hippos, baboons and birds. Wilde beests, zebras & giraffes are everywhere.
HOTEL PINEWOOD VILLAGE, Galu Beach: Private beach with white powdery sand, clean & safe, cool breeze throughout the day, unbelievably colorful sunrise & sunset on the blue Indian Ocean, unlimited good food & drinks throughout the day, laze in the swimming pool, dinner on the beach, well looked after by a friendly & professional staff, spacious & clean rooms.....what more do you want after 'roughing it out' in the Porini Camps! Just eat, read, swim, laze & sleep in a comfortable hotel resort....a perfect ending to a Safari!
CONCLUSION: If we want to go on a Kenyan Safari again, we know where to go...GAMEWATCHERS SAFARI !
HAKUNA MATATA if you make a trip with Gamewatchers Safari !
( remember LION KING....means NO WORRIES, in Swahili )
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porini Mara Camp is located in the exclusive 17,500 acre wildlife conservancy of Ol Kinyei, one of the most beautiful wilderness areas in the Serengeti-Mara eco-system. The camp has 6 spacious guest tents with an en-suite bathroom sited in the shade of Yellow-barked Acacia trees. The camp accommodates a maximum of 12 guests, where guests enjoy game drives in 4x4s, sundowners at scenic viewing points and escorted walks with Maasai guides. Ol Kinyei is noted for its excellent wildlife viewing with a resident pride of lions, cheetahs, leopards and a wide variety of animals. There is a strict limit on the number of tourist vehicles allowed in the conservancy so that visitors from the camp can view the wildlife without other vehicles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Porini Mara Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Porini Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Porini Mara Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve