“Amazing Personalized Safari” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Porini Mara Camp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maasai Mara National Reserve
Porini Mara Camp
Ol Kinyei Conservancy, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Hotel packages
Seattle, Washington
“Amazing Personalized Safari”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The overall experience was amazing from the start when I was picked up at the air strip and taken back at the end. During the entire trip they made sure that all comforts and needs were met. On the drive into the private reserve they immediately started the safari sharing about the different animals and making sure I was able to maximize every photo opportunity. They instinctively anticipated on every game drive when I would like to take a picture and would adjust the vehicle for any adjusted angles I would like!

David the camp manager and his staff did a amazing job every time in camp making sure all the comforts were there. From beer and cocktails in the afternoon to the morning wake up of African Tea being brought to my room and evening having the bed toasty warm when I was ready to retire for the night.

On the game drive Jeffrey and Stanley were top notch guides. They both new where to go and when to get a great experience! In the first 24 hours of arriving I had seen all the Big Five! On the full day game drive in the Mara Reserve they spotted a lioness with a fresh kill. During the drives they also were an amazing amount of information sharing very unique things about every animal and willing to customize the drive to what I wanted to see and experience.

Thank you to all of the staff for your amazing hospitality and sharing your culture and history with me. It has been such an amazing experience and it brings me much joy at home sharing the stories of my time at with Porini. You are on my top recommendation to all friends that are planning a safari trip!

Room Tip: All of the tents are great at this camp and very private from other guests tents. All are within a s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

What a vacation. I feel very lucky to have come across this camp. All people are so naturally friendly and take care of you in a way that to me has been quite exeptional. The tents, the service and the food is superb. I had the most fantastic team, Ben and Tipa as guide and driver who intoduced me to their world of wildlife. Other guests where just as satisfied with the other guides and drivers as I was with "mine". I saw my favorite, the very shy leopard, twice during my stay. Thanks to manager David for his way of beeing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Milford, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was Porini camp # 3 for me out of the 4 Porini camps. My Gamewatchers Safari rep in the USA, Julie agreed that experiencing all 4 camps would be fabulous and she was right. Each camp has the same feel-at-home ambience, great food, drink, staff, guides and managers. Everyone smiles at these camps. I know why I smile - I'm on vacation in one of the most awesome places on earth. The staff smiles for the same reason, I suppose, and they love their jobs and it shows in the attentiveness they show their guests. Every day and every game drive brought new animals and some surprises as to the amount or types of critters. I love birding and was not disappointed with the quantity of unusual and beautiful bird life at each camp. One of the reasons for choosing Porini camps was their eco friendly approach to the land and support of conservancies. I was not disappointed when I saw how the people benefited from these camps. I cannot say enough about the camps and hope to return one day soon where I can again fall asleep to the sounds of Kenya.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The people, the staff, the animals, the tents, the showers, the beds, everything is spot on! The fact they could pick up and move the camp and you wouldn't even know it had been there is very smart. Couldn't fault a thing and could easily stay a month and not be bored.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

It is impossible : we were out in the bush, but the tent has everything! Well, almost, except for the 5 gal. of hot water each for shower. But water is very scarce so I can live with that. The Masai staff are all very friendly, esp. David, the manager, who makes you feel at home. Everyone we met are hard core Safari traveller, they hop from one Porini camp to the next, which tells how much they enjoy it. We were lucky enough to be able to witness the migration of wildebeests and zebra, thanks to our guide, Jeffrey (with a silver badge) who told the driver that we can't stay to watch the lions because the wildebeests were about to cross the river. There were many trucks already there, some waited for hours, but we just stayed for less than an hour when they started the crossing, with the crocodiles waiting for their meals too. It was a spectacular sight, and we had a most memorable trip, just beyond words when you see all those animals up close.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed in Porini Mara for 2 nights 5-6 October 2012 and absolutely loved it

The camp is in the most beautiful setting - in a little dip surrounded by lovely greenery with the mess tent on a small hill in the centre. The tents are spaced around the edges. Ours had a view over a stream where gazelles would come to drink. The tent was big, with an ensuite bathroom, flushing loo and hot showers available.

The staff were very welcoming and friendly and the guides (Ben and Tipa) very knowledgable too. We made several games drives and they found us some amazing sights. We tracked vultures to a kill and then to the pair of cheetahs that had made it; then we sat in a clearing whilst a herd of 50 or so elephants walked around us. On another day, Jaspar took us for a walk in the surrounding area, showing us the different plants and smaller creatures - but accompanied by an armed guard to frighten off any of the bigger ones should they make an appearance.

The food was really good - we ate lunch in the garden under a parasol being watched by a small monkey. There was a campfire at night and very good food served in the mess tent along with wine.

I could not believe it when we stopped for our first sundowner of the trip - out in the wilds, gin & tonic with ice and slices of lime. We could hear lions roaring in the distance and spotted them on the way back. They were on lion honeymoon - we saw them a couple of times, doing what lions do when on honeymoon - there may be cubs to see before too long.

We also visited a local Masai village and home which was a real revelation. The Camp is situated in a conservancy where the land is rented from the local community, giving them a regular income and most of the camp staff are also Masai. The guys who run the company staying at the camp whilst we were there, and so we got to know a bit more about the company philosophy around working with the Masai and developing more environmentally sensitive tourism.

I would thoroughly recommend Porini Mara. I have done a few safaris before but this was different. There are fewer people and vehicles and the animals plentiful and relaxed around the vehicles so you can get closer to them. The camp is a beautuful way to experience the area - you just feel that bit closer to nature. I am confident that we will be back before too long

Room Tip: The tents all seem to be the same and all have a nice view. We were in number 1 which had a little s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

the staff are very knowledgable, helpful and friendly, the accomadations are so comfortable and
pleasant and the food is amazing. the animals speak for themselves and the staff make sure that
you see them all!
we will attend again and have told our friends

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Porini Mara Camp? Share your experiences!