“I'll recommend this camp to everyone I know” 5 of 5 stars

Ol Kinyei Conservancy, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Oslo, Norway
“I'll recommend this camp to everyone I know”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

What a vacation. I feel very lucky to have come across this camp. All people are so naturally friendly and take care of you in a way that to me has been quite exeptional. The tents, the service and the food is superb. I had the most fantastic team, Ben and Tipa as guide and driver who intoduced me to their world of wildlife. Other guests where just as satisfied with the other guides and drivers as I was with "mine". I saw my favorite, the very shy leopard, twice during my stay. Thanks to manager David for his way of beeing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Milford, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was Porini camp # 3 for me out of the 4 Porini camps. My Gamewatchers Safari rep in the USA, Julie agreed that experiencing all 4 camps would be fabulous and she was right. Each camp has the same feel-at-home ambience, great food, drink, staff, guides and managers. Everyone smiles at these camps. I know why I smile - I'm on vacation in one of the most awesome places on earth. The staff smiles for the same reason, I suppose, and they love their jobs and it shows in the attentiveness they show their guests. Every day and every game drive brought new animals and some surprises as to the amount or types of critters. I love birding and was not disappointed with the quantity of unusual and beautiful bird life at each camp. One of the reasons for choosing Porini camps was their eco friendly approach to the land and support of conservancies. I was not disappointed when I saw how the people benefited from these camps. I cannot say enough about the camps and hope to return one day soon where I can again fall asleep to the sounds of Kenya.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The people, the staff, the animals, the tents, the showers, the beds, everything is spot on! The fact they could pick up and move the camp and you wouldn't even know it had been there is very smart. Couldn't fault a thing and could easily stay a month and not be bored.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

It is impossible : we were out in the bush, but the tent has everything! Well, almost, except for the 5 gal. of hot water each for shower. But water is very scarce so I can live with that. The Masai staff are all very friendly, esp. David, the manager, who makes you feel at home. Everyone we met are hard core Safari traveller, they hop from one Porini camp to the next, which tells how much they enjoy it. We were lucky enough to be able to witness the migration of wildebeests and zebra, thanks to our guide, Jeffrey (with a silver badge) who told the driver that we can't stay to watch the lions because the wildebeests were about to cross the river. There were many trucks already there, some waited for hours, but we just stayed for less than an hour when they started the crossing, with the crocodiles waiting for their meals too. It was a spectacular sight, and we had a most memorable trip, just beyond words when you see all those animals up close.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed in Porini Mara for 2 nights 5-6 October 2012 and absolutely loved it

The camp is in the most beautiful setting - in a little dip surrounded by lovely greenery with the mess tent on a small hill in the centre. The tents are spaced around the edges. Ours had a view over a stream where gazelles would come to drink. The tent was big, with an ensuite bathroom, flushing loo and hot showers available.

The staff were very welcoming and friendly and the guides (Ben and Tipa) very knowledgable too. We made several games drives and they found us some amazing sights. We tracked vultures to a kill and then to the pair of cheetahs that had made it; then we sat in a clearing whilst a herd of 50 or so elephants walked around us. On another day, Jaspar took us for a walk in the surrounding area, showing us the different plants and smaller creatures - but accompanied by an armed guard to frighten off any of the bigger ones should they make an appearance.

The food was really good - we ate lunch in the garden under a parasol being watched by a small monkey. There was a campfire at night and very good food served in the mess tent along with wine.

I could not believe it when we stopped for our first sundowner of the trip - out in the wilds, gin & tonic with ice and slices of lime. We could hear lions roaring in the distance and spotted them on the way back. They were on lion honeymoon - we saw them a couple of times, doing what lions do when on honeymoon - there may be cubs to see before too long.

We also visited a local Masai village and home which was a real revelation. The Camp is situated in a conservancy where the land is rented from the local community, giving them a regular income and most of the camp staff are also Masai. The guys who run the company staying at the camp whilst we were there, and so we got to know a bit more about the company philosophy around working with the Masai and developing more environmentally sensitive tourism.

I would thoroughly recommend Porini Mara. I have done a few safaris before but this was different. There are fewer people and vehicles and the animals plentiful and relaxed around the vehicles so you can get closer to them. The camp is a beautuful way to experience the area - you just feel that bit closer to nature. I am confident that we will be back before too long

Room Tip: The tents all seem to be the same and all have a nice view. We were in number 1 which had a little s...