“Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fig Tree Camp

You added Fig Tree Camp to your Saves list
Fig Tree Camp
C14, Keekorok (Masai Mara Reserve) | Talek river area, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Fig Tree tented camp is quiet an experience,the tents are tents with zipped up nets in the front and a beautiful bathroom with gold taps attached to the tent at the back with hot water running with electricity ,beautiful clean linen and a lantern in the eve.....food is well served with a good range wild animals meat on offer.......could see lots of hippos,Baboons and crocodiles....the safaris in the morning was good saw lots of wilderbeast,zebras,giraffe,lions,elephants n other small animals.Dont forget to take the ballon safari its breathtaking u can see the whole of Mara from the top and the champagne breakfast prepared by the chef is a treat....an "OUT OF AFRICA" experience....... U will luv it

Room Tip: All tents are well situated so there's no need to worry, I was a bit scared of walking back to m...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Booked this a bit blind as an additional overnight safari during a stay at the coast and when I learned we were staying in tents wasn't quite sure what to expect.

Not like any tent I remember from my scouting days. Yes, it had canvas sides and front with a zip and velcro closure but that's where the similarities end. Then tents were erected under a permanent structure as protection from the weather but had mains electricity (not 24/7 as it is off overnight and when everyone is out on drives but there is a rechargeable lamp in each tent), proper beds and furniture and, most importantly, a door at the back which leads to your individual brick built, fully tiled en-suite bathroom. The tents are all located on the top of the bank of the meandering river and during the course of stay we had hippos, a crocodile, and a large group of baboons either in or across the river from my tent. Also a group of smaller monkeys ran straight past the tents in the evening (warning - keep tent zipped up!)

The staff were very friendly and they are clearly very proud of the food they serve with some lovely presentation. The camp was very quiet when we were there as it was the end of the season and the choice was a bit limited but what there served was very good although they did struggle a bit with one of my travelling companions who is vegan. In addition to the restaurant there is a separate bar area though only being there for one night and with a 5:30 call for a sunrise drive the following morning didn't really get a chance to sample it. The camp also has a swimming pool although it looked a little tired but we didn't have time to try it.

Our drives were organised by the camp and the driver was also accompanied by a genuine Masai who was very informative and had amazing eyesight for spotting game. The game we saw was amazing, 4 of the big 5 (no leopard unfortunately but up close and personal with a cheetah instead), wildebeest (unusual in April), hyenas etc etc, the highlights being the lions and the rhino, the latter being increasingly rare even in the Masai Mara. With an overnight stay we had a sunset drive, a sunrise drive and a further drive after breakfast before being transferred back to the airstrip. The primary reason for booking this 'extra safari' was that we hadn't seen any big cats in either Tsavo East or Shimba Hills and we were certainly not disappointing. The only regret was we only stayed one night as you can see so little of the Masai Mara in a 2 hour drive, with 2 nights we could have done a full day drive.

All in all a fantastic camp in a fantastic location

Room Tip: Don't think there is anything to choose between them although some are a bit of a distance from...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
DAVIS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Loved the tents right on the river with comfy beds, the staff were fantastic, and the food was wonderful, when you want to go on a Safari this is definitely the place to go!!! Everybody was so friendly and helpful. There is a place in a tree high up to sit and enjoy the view and you can see all kinds of animals, truly amazing. In the evening there is a nice fire pit that you can sit around and enjoy the cool evenings.

Room Tip: All the tents are on the river's edge and there's always activity, rhino's, crockadiles...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed at this 'camp' in August of 2009, during the migration. It was a great value and much nicer than we expected. It's not really a 'camp' in that it is more like a hotel resort, where many of the buildings are either openair or have tent walls.

The sleeping 'tent' had hardwood floors, electricity, nice canopy beds and a fully functioning bathroom- it was as close to a hotel room as you can get, with tent walls rather than hard walls... We were expecting something much more rustic, and we were very happy to find such comfy accommodations. There was even a small swimming pool, which wasn't the nicest pool but helped us cool down and was pleasant to have.

The restaurant was also good. We actually skipped lunch and had them box a lunch for us to take on our Jeep safari rides. The advantage of doing this is that we got to combine our morning and afternoon runs and we were able to go much farther. Our Safari guide was great. The Jeeps were also comfortable and small enough that we felt like it was a private tour even though there were 2 other couples along for the ride.

We did a package where we flew from Nairobi. I hear the drive isn't so bad, but we were pleased to do the short flight, and the views from above were great.

Besides this safari, we also did one in Kruger last year. It was a real disappointment compared with the experience at Figtree in Maasai Mara. In Kruger you drive yourself along nostly paved roads. Seeing an elephant walking along the paved street loses some of the effect of driving through the brush and coming upon one in a more natural setting (like you see in Maasai Mara)... We also did some of the organized safari drives in Kruger, and the jeeps were these huge boats that fit 20+ people... again, not as personal and natural as the Maasai experience. Kruger would be a fine add-on to a larger south africa trip, but not worth a visit just for itself, whereas Massai Mara is worth many returns. In fact we can't wait to bring our baby once he gets a little older.

Overall, I would highly recommend fig tree lodge and it's safari drives- it was a great experience and a good value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We enjoyed our experience at Fig Tree in the Masai Mara. The camp was very peaceful and the tents are very large and spacious. We had a tent that looks out over the river which I would definitely recommend. However, the tents are quite a walk from the main reception area and restaurant. The food is buffet style and pretty good although there are not a ton of options. I would definitely recommend the bush breakfast option they provide for one of the mornings. The pool is a quite small and not very clean but we didn't have much time for swimming anyway, as we were busy going on game drives and seeing some amazing animals. All in all, a very nice camp to stay at while visiting the Masai Mara.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The entire experience was great, from the accommodation to the meals. I always felt safe with the Maasai warriors patrolling the grounds at night, even when I could hear noisy hippos in the river below my tent. The buffet dinners were delicious and breakfast was good.

The tents themselves were beautifully decorated and well equipped. They were a bit dark at the ends of the beds, but perfect otherwise. I could have sat on that porch for hours. Wildlife is everywhere. I saw monkeys all over grounds, crocodiles and hippos in the river, lions, baboons and other critters across the river.

The wifi internet didn't work very well, but I was surprised them even had it at all, so I can hardly complain about that. The staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: Any tents by the river are great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed at Fig Tree Camp for 3 days and 2 nights in March 2013. It was my first time in a tented lodging and it exceeded my expectations. March is not the high season for the Mara and the camp was so peaceful.
The location was ideal - only about 11 km. from the Olkiombo air strip, and right on the Talek River. My tent faced the river and I enjoyed having an area to chill in front of my tent just to enjoy the nature, e.g. spotting a crocodile and warthogs. On my last night I even heard hippos mating!
I find the tent to be spacious and comfortable. I was by myself, but had one double bed and one single bed. Both of the beds were four-posters with a mosquito net. My tent was also bug-free. I was a bit paranoid about getting bitten by mosquitoes, but I didn't get any bites at all.The only thing I didn't like about the tents is that they don't have keys, so I felt a bit strange not being able to 'lock' my room when I sleep. This also meant I couldn't leave any valuables behind. I had an expensive camera and had to carry it around even when I go eat. I would recommend bringing your own padlock, so that you can use it to secure the zippers of the tent.
I also like how they organize guests into groups for the game drives. Since I was alone, I had to join two families (father & son; plus father & daughter ). There were five people on our jeep and when the two families departed, the Camp didn't put me in another group, so I had the same driver and Masai guide to myself. Hiram was my driver and William was my guide. Both speak great English and are very knowledgeable about the area and the animals.
The staff were super friendly and helpful. My needs are always met and my questions answered.
They even have wi-fi service for unlimited use at only 500 KSC, which I think was reasonable. The drinks (which were extras for my package) were also reasonably priced. The food at the buffet was ok. I'm not crazy about buffets anyway, so I wasn't that excited about the food, but for what I ate, it was alright.
I already miss my stay there and want to go back again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Fig Tree Camp? Share your experiences!