“Nice tented camp in the Mara” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fig Tree Camp

Save Saved
You added Fig Tree Camp to your Saves list
Fig Tree Camp
C14, Keekorok (Masai Mara Reserve) | Talek river area, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Nairobi, Kenya
“Nice tented camp in the Mara”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We enjoyed our experience at Fig Tree in the Masai Mara. The camp was very peaceful and the tents are very large and spacious. We had a tent that looks out over the river which I would definitely recommend. However, the tents are quite a walk from the main reception area and restaurant. The food is buffet style and pretty good although there are not a ton of options. I would definitely recommend the bush breakfast option they provide for one of the mornings. The pool is a quite small and not very clean but we didn't have much time for swimming anyway, as we were busy going on game drives and seeing some amazing animals. All in all, a very nice camp to stay at while visiting the Masai Mara.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The entire experience was great, from the accommodation to the meals. I always felt safe with the Maasai warriors patrolling the grounds at night, even when I could hear noisy hippos in the river below my tent. The buffet dinners were delicious and breakfast was good.

The tents themselves were beautifully decorated and well equipped. They were a bit dark at the ends of the beds, but perfect otherwise. I could have sat on that porch for hours. Wildlife is everywhere. I saw monkeys all over grounds, crocodiles and hippos in the river, lions, baboons and other critters across the river.

The wifi internet didn't work very well, but I was surprised them even had it at all, so I can hardly complain about that. The staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: Any tents by the river are great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed at Fig Tree Camp for 3 days and 2 nights in March 2013. It was my first time in a tented lodging and it exceeded my expectations. March is not the high season for the Mara and the camp was so peaceful.
The location was ideal - only about 11 km. from the Olkiombo air strip, and right on the Talek River. My tent faced the river and I enjoyed having an area to chill in front of my tent just to enjoy the nature, e.g. spotting a crocodile and warthogs. On my last night I even heard hippos mating!
I find the tent to be spacious and comfortable. I was by myself, but had one double bed and one single bed. Both of the beds were four-posters with a mosquito net. My tent was also bug-free. I was a bit paranoid about getting bitten by mosquitoes, but I didn't get any bites at all.The only thing I didn't like about the tents is that they don't have keys, so I felt a bit strange not being able to 'lock' my room when I sleep. This also meant I couldn't leave any valuables behind. I had an expensive camera and had to carry it around even when I go eat. I would recommend bringing your own padlock, so that you can use it to secure the zippers of the tent.
I also like how they organize guests into groups for the game drives. Since I was alone, I had to join two families (father & son; plus father & daughter ). There were five people on our jeep and when the two families departed, the Camp didn't put me in another group, so I had the same driver and Masai guide to myself. Hiram was my driver and William was my guide. Both speak great English and are very knowledgeable about the area and the animals.
The staff were super friendly and helpful. My needs are always met and my questions answered.
They even have wi-fi service for unlimited use at only 500 KSC, which I think was reasonable. The drinks (which were extras for my package) were also reasonably priced. The food at the buffet was ok. I'm not crazy about buffets anyway, so I wasn't that excited about the food, but for what I ate, it was alright.
I already miss my stay there and want to go back again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I took my 12-yr-old daughter on a photo safari for the February school break and we spent our first two nights here. This definitely exceeded my expectations of camping in Kenya. Our tent had a view of the stream, nestled amongst the trees, shaded and lovely and virtually bug free. The staff was solicitous and friendly. The extras we purchased, outside of our travel package, were reasonably priced, but I would have paid more at this wonderful location.

The daily game drives from Fig Tree were convenient. We even had the chance to view some animals at the camp, including hippos in the stream and monkeys in the trees near reception/dining. We had a memorable stay and would highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at Fig Tree Camp with my parents and my fiancé for three nights in August 2012. It was our first stop on an 11-day safari. We requested tents facing the river and they were great. Very clean and comfortable. They were close to other tents, but because you looked out on the river, it felt very private. Great bird and wildlife watching along the river - we saw many bird species, hippos, crocs, and warthogs and such coming to drink. To go on game drives you cross the river on a footbridge (very cool!) to meet your driver on the other side. There is a tree-house type area to have drinks and watch the sun go down, and a bar area with fire pits to keep you warm. Nice atmosphere.
I took one star off the review because the food was only okay. Not awful, and there were a variety of offerings on the buffet, so you could always find something good to eat, but there were a lot of disappointing options as well. Also, if you plan to spend the whole day out game-driving they send you with a packed lunch that was, well, pretty bad. We did an all-day game drive one of our days trying to see a wildebeest river crossing, which we finally did - after 3 hours of sitting still in the windless heat. Lunch was going to be the high point of our wait, but it was a piece of cold, dry fried chicken, a dry toasted sandwich of some sort, a banana (the best part), some potato chips - basically all foods that were pretty unappetizing and made us incredibly thirsty out in the heat.
Another thing I will say is that for our first two nights the camp was relatively empty, but on the third night a large group of tourists came in and filled the camp to capacity. Things were a lot louder on the third night since this group insisted on tramping by in front of our tent, stopping there to converse loudly with each other or yell at people in other tents. We even had one guy come out at 5 in the morning and do a Tarzan yell at the top of his lungs. Basically, this place is great if it's not full or if the other guests are quiet and considerate. If that group had been there for our whole trip, I think my memories of Fig Tree camp would be far more negative.

Room Tip: If you are with a group that will have multiple tents, request to be next to each other. This might...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at Fig Tree for 3 days and 2 nights and were there at New Year (although missed the fireworks :( ) The accommodation is perfect - a real tent but with a proper toilet and shower at the back, zipping your door closed at night was so different. We saw a hippo within minutes of arriving at our tent and it stayed outside all the time we were there. we had visits from monkeys everyday at our tent. We saw everything we wanted to see on our first day!! even the black rhino - AMAZING!! food was excellent, staff were excellent, game drives and drivers were excellent - especially our guide Thomas who had such a lovely smile (all the time!) in fact everything was excellent except the weather :( but it didn't spoil our time there. The flights out and back were an EXPERIENCE we will never forget - especially my husband being co-pilot as there wasn't a seat for him :) :) :) Totally recommend Fig Tree Camp for your safari

Room Tip: make sure you book a tent and not a cabin. you can't go on safari and not live in a tent!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

For 25 years my dream had been an African Safari. The money was saved and my best friend and I talked, planned and executed our East  Africa Safari  trip of a lifetime.
Our last safari stop was Fig Tree Camp on the Masia Mara National Reserve. It is a comfortable tented venue on the Telek River. The canvas tent has a permanent shower and toilet attached to it. Outside our tent  a graceful fig tree sported a very colorful woodpecker. The first morning I woke very early to the hippos singing in the river. Our stay only got better from there..

The irresistible Vervet monkeys welcomed us as they played or rested in the bamboo plants. The meal are buffet style with a huge variety of food. It was delicious and very attractively presented.
Elaine and I taught the bartenders to make non alcoholic Smoothies. After a small tutorial from us they went to work in the kitchen proudly brought us a Mango drink decorated with carved antelope horns made out of the skin of the fruit. The staff were informative, friendly and we all had fun.

While at Fig Tree  we were privileged to see in the surrounding area  lions mating, being guest of the Masai tribe village , lion scattering vultures from a fresh kill, lioness with her 2 cubs to name just a few sightings.

At this camp site you can nature walk where we saw baby hedgehog and elephant footprints. Connected to Fig Tree is the optional hot air balloon ride. Starting at morning dark we watched as these huge balloons filled and 17 of us piled into the giant basket that gently lifted off the ground. The sun rose and so did we. The changing  light, giraffes, wildebeest, zebras, Eland, hyena,  cape buffalo,  river water, green, brown different shades of landscapes were breathtaking.  For our three day stay at Fig Tree  the world stood still for a few brief and shining moments...

Room Tip: Select tent on the Telek River..
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fig Tree Camp? Share your experiences!