“Outstanding glamping experience” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Fig Tree Camp to your Saves list
Fig Tree Camp
C14, Keekorok (Masai Mara Reserve) | Talek river area, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding glamping experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I took my 12-yr-old daughter on a photo safari for the February school break and we spent our first two nights here. This definitely exceeded my expectations of camping in Kenya. Our tent had a view of the stream, nestled amongst the trees, shaded and lovely and virtually bug free. The staff was solicitous and friendly. The extras we purchased, outside of our travel package, were reasonably priced, but I would have paid more at this wonderful location.

The daily game drives from Fig Tree were convenient. We even had the chance to view some animals at the camp, including hippos in the stream and monkeys in the trees near reception/dining. We had a memorable stay and would highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at Fig Tree Camp with my parents and my fiancé for three nights in August 2012. It was our first stop on an 11-day safari. We requested tents facing the river and they were great. Very clean and comfortable. They were close to other tents, but because you looked out on the river, it felt very private. Great bird and wildlife watching along the river - we saw many bird species, hippos, crocs, and warthogs and such coming to drink. To go on game drives you cross the river on a footbridge (very cool!) to meet your driver on the other side. There is a tree-house type area to have drinks and watch the sun go down, and a bar area with fire pits to keep you warm. Nice atmosphere.
I took one star off the review because the food was only okay. Not awful, and there were a variety of offerings on the buffet, so you could always find something good to eat, but there were a lot of disappointing options as well. Also, if you plan to spend the whole day out game-driving they send you with a packed lunch that was, well, pretty bad. We did an all-day game drive one of our days trying to see a wildebeest river crossing, which we finally did - after 3 hours of sitting still in the windless heat. Lunch was going to be the high point of our wait, but it was a piece of cold, dry fried chicken, a dry toasted sandwich of some sort, a banana (the best part), some potato chips - basically all foods that were pretty unappetizing and made us incredibly thirsty out in the heat.
Another thing I will say is that for our first two nights the camp was relatively empty, but on the third night a large group of tourists came in and filled the camp to capacity. Things were a lot louder on the third night since this group insisted on tramping by in front of our tent, stopping there to converse loudly with each other or yell at people in other tents. We even had one guy come out at 5 in the morning and do a Tarzan yell at the top of his lungs. Basically, this place is great if it's not full or if the other guests are quiet and considerate. If that group had been there for our whole trip, I think my memories of Fig Tree camp would be far more negative.

Room Tip: If you are with a group that will have multiple tents, request to be next to each other. This might...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at Fig Tree for 3 days and 2 nights and were there at New Year (although missed the fireworks :( ) The accommodation is perfect - a real tent but with a proper toilet and shower at the back, zipping your door closed at night was so different. We saw a hippo within minutes of arriving at our tent and it stayed outside all the time we were there. we had visits from monkeys everyday at our tent. We saw everything we wanted to see on our first day!! even the black rhino - AMAZING!! food was excellent, staff were excellent, game drives and drivers were excellent - especially our guide Thomas who had such a lovely smile (all the time!) in fact everything was excellent except the weather :( but it didn't spoil our time there. The flights out and back were an EXPERIENCE we will never forget - especially my husband being co-pilot as there wasn't a seat for him :) :) :) Totally recommend Fig Tree Camp for your safari

Room Tip: make sure you book a tent and not a cabin. you can't go on safari and not live in a tent!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

For 25 years my dream had been an African Safari. The money was saved and my best friend and I talked, planned and executed our East  Africa Safari  trip of a lifetime.
Our last safari stop was Fig Tree Camp on the Masia Mara National Reserve. It is a comfortable tented venue on the Telek River. The canvas tent has a permanent shower and toilet attached to it. Outside our tent  a graceful fig tree sported a very colorful woodpecker. The first morning I woke very early to the hippos singing in the river. Our stay only got better from there..

The irresistible Vervet monkeys welcomed us as they played or rested in the bamboo plants. The meal are buffet style with a huge variety of food. It was delicious and very attractively presented.
Elaine and I taught the bartenders to make non alcoholic Smoothies. After a small tutorial from us they went to work in the kitchen proudly brought us a Mango drink decorated with carved antelope horns made out of the skin of the fruit. The staff were informative, friendly and we all had fun.

While at Fig Tree  we were privileged to see in the surrounding area  lions mating, being guest of the Masai tribe village , lion scattering vultures from a fresh kill, lioness with her 2 cubs to name just a few sightings.

At this camp site you can nature walk where we saw baby hedgehog and elephant footprints. Connected to Fig Tree is the optional hot air balloon ride. Starting at morning dark we watched as these huge balloons filled and 17 of us piled into the giant basket that gently lifted off the ground. The sun rose and so did we. The changing  light, giraffes, wildebeest, zebras, Eland, hyena,  cape buffalo,  river water, green, brown different shades of landscapes were breathtaking.  For our three day stay at Fig Tree  the world stood still for a few brief and shining moments...

Room Tip: Select tent on the Telek River..
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We went to the Fig Tree 25th November for the third year in a row and as usual the tents were lovely and clean. It is a nice setting.
Safari was really good.
BUT the food was terrible. There were only a few people at the camp so instead of a buffet they served a meal at the table. On the first day I was offered beef or lamb. I explained that I didn't eat red meat so the waiter said he would get the beef dish !!! I ordered two cheeses salads which was O.K. In the evening chicken or beef was offered. I had the chicken and was offered rice or potatoes. I explained that I didn't eat rice but the meal came with rice and potatoes which was terrible !! I could not eat the potatoes or the vegtables, they were re heated and horrible.
Second day I was offered pork or beef. My husband had the pork. The meal again came out looking exactley the same as the evening meal - potatoes and rice and a small amount of carrots. The pork was deep fried and you could not get it off the stick !! I had a cheese salad. Our evening meal was a cheese salald as we were once again offered beef or lamb.
Third day we were leaving we lost the will to live and did not have lunch before our flight. A few other people didn't eat lunch for the same reason.
When we got the coast we got talking to someone who once worked at the Fig Tree. They told us that their hygiene was not the best in the world. They store raw meat on top of cooked meat. They weighed raw and cooked meat and CHEESE on the same scales without washing anything !! I am surpised we did not get food posoning.
Never ever again will I go to this lodge !!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main lodge as it can be noisy at 0500hrs in the morning when the staff g...
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The Fig Tree Camp is a haven of tranquillity and nature of which I doubt I will ever find an equivalent. Nestled in the middle of the Maasai Mara, it is not only an excellent location in the grand scheme of things but it has an amazing U-Bend river locale; ensuring that every tent overlooks the river Talek.

The Fig Tree Camp offers superlative tents, which provide a little luxury but still don't take away from the feeling of sleeping outside with the zipper acting as a gateway between the sanctuary of your bed and the hippos, crocodiles, zebras, hornbills, parrots and colobus- all outside :)

Food and service at the camp is second to none. Meals are all freshly prepared and unlike many beachside hotels the food is seasoned and flavoured well. Pineapple crumble being a treat like nothing I had ever had before! Our waiter Joseph was extreme attentive and a credit to the camp. Each night there is a toasty camp fire and on one of the nights was traditional maasai dancing/jumping, which was fantastic. How they act as DJ, music creator and dancers simultaneously without the technological wonders we have was astonishing.

The overall experience at this camp was undoubtedly enhanced by both our game driver - Sami - and the amazing game drives we had. We saw everything except from Rhino and the feeling of seeing two cheetah brothers, a family of lions and a leopard up a tree with a kill will stay with me forever. Sami was knowledgeable, friendly and a joy to be around - we looked forward to the game drives with him to the point that we were genuinely sad to say good bye to him when we left. A stand out example of him being the epitome of ace is that he arranged for us to have a long game drive with a "bush" breakfast on the last day. Meaning that whilst we ate our breakfast on the banks of the Talek river, Hippos, Giraffes, Egyptian Geese were all in plain sight.

Mada Hotels has a huge asset in Sami and he is certainly one of the reasons I will be visiting Fig Tree Camp again soon.

As well as the game drives, we had a hot air balloon flight and absolutely loved it! I cannot put into words the awesome feeling of floating along at sunrise over the Maasai Mara, with no sound other than the animals below. To then have the surreal experience of landing in the midst of all of nature and having a full English breakfast washed down with champagne cocktails; it was simply mind blowing.

We stayed for 3 days and 2 nights and even though we were already on holiday in Diani, we felt as though this was an inception style holiday within a holiday - it really is that good!

John & Claire McMahon

Room Tip: T19 is ace!
Svedala, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was the final lodge on our week long safari, and once again we weren't disappointed. The rooms (or "tents") were spacious and clean and the food was good. We had a room overlooking the river, where is was cozy to sit when the sun set and just look out over the river.

The game drives in Masai Mara were the best of our trip. Plenty of lions, a cheetah, hippos, large birds of prey and much, much more.

The only negative was that on one occation our room cleaners didn't replace the lock for our tent, so it was open for anyone to enter. Nothing happened though, and as I understood it not all tents had locks at all.

The camp is quite large, so to some rooms there's a long walk from the restaurant to your room, and to the cars. We had such a room, but it didn't bother us much.

Room Tip: If you have problems walking longer distances, ask for a room close to the reception.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fig Tree Camp? Share your experiences!