I have just come back from a holiday in Kenya, during which my family and I spent three nights at Saruni. Great things have been written on this lodge and I totally agree with all the positive comments. I was personally impressed by the staff and their attitude: we felt really welcome and cared for by everybody. We loved being greeted with great smiles in the mornings and when returning from game drives. We were travelling with a 6 year old and the chef did a great job in keeping him happy for the whole stay (my special thanks to him!). Food was excellent and plentiful and our room (n. 2) was beautiful. We appreciated our guide (Dixon's) being so flexible and able to accommodating all our requests (including leaving one hour earlier than planned on our last day!). He is a lovely guy and a knowledgable guide (I learned a lot and he even tested us on the last day to check we were listening!!), last but not least he was so nice and patient with "the little white warrior".
The only drawback I can find in Saruni is that you have quite a long drive (both ways) everyday along the same stretch of road before reaching the plain and the wildlife in the Conservancy. It is not the end of the world, of course, and - guess - a fair price to pay in order to enjoy in full the remoteness of Saruni's location. Still I felt I had to mention this.
Thanks again for the wonderful hospitality.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Saruni is a small, luxury lodge in Mara North Conservancy, the best wildlife area in the Masai mara ecosystem. We have one family villa and 5 cottages. Our masai guides are among the best in Kenya and to discover the amazing wildlife of the Mara with them is an unforgettable experience. In July 2012 Saruni Mara opened the doors of a brand new family villa and completed the refurbishment of its existing villa’s in to six beautifully designed, themed rooms.The stylish new villa has two en-suite bedrooms and a large lounge complete with dinning area and comfortable sofa’s sounding the welcoming fireplace. There is also an impressive large veranda overlooking the magnificent scenery of the Masai Mara. The remaining villas have been refurbished to incorporate themes that will engage with guests passions whether that is art, astronomy, photography, literature, natural history or simply romance. All furniture, carpets, lamps and bedding was either sourced locally in Nairobi or designed by Kenyan interior decorator Larissa Hoops and then made by local craftsmen.The Art room will inspire creative guests with an easel and paint as well as a desk with drawing materials.For star gazers, the Astronomy room has a vintage brass telescope, moon map and selection of interesting material on all things cosmic.Book worms and budding writers will enjoy staying in the Literature room with its vintage typewriter, leather reading chairs, desk with brass reading lamp, quill pen and leather blotter. There is also a selection of classic and African literature. For clients that prefer to view life through the lens, the Photography room has an old box browning camera, antique photographic equipment catalogue and stunning prints adorn the walls. The Family villa also doubles as the Natural History room and is decorated with a selection of antique and vintage prints. There is also relevant reading material such a books on mammals, reptiles, tree’s and birds.The Honeymoon room has been simply designed for a relaxing romantic break with comfy furniture and beautiful antiques.Saruni Mara is owned and run by Italian author Riccardo Orizio. This resort is the Masai Mara’s smallest permanent lodge and guests enjoy an exclusive experience with their own private vehicle and guide. Evenings can be spent relaxing in the common area enjoying fine cuisine influenced by Riccardo’s Italian family heritage. Guests can also enjoy bush breakfasts and dinners in breathtaking settings such as in the middle of an acacia forest. Saruni Mara is extremely active in local community and conservation projects and works very closely with the local Masai communities. The lodge is the proud recipient on the Silver rating by Ecotourism Kenya.Rooms at Saruni Mara start from US$390 a night. Prices are based on two people sharing on full board including all house drinks, park fees, game drives and airport transfers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Saruni Mara reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Saruni Mara Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Saruni Mara Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve